Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 Nightmare (Superhub 3 & QNAP)

subharmonic
Aspirant

RBK50 Nightmare (Superhub 3 & QNAP)

So in a nutshell I'm looking for a blow by blow method of how to setup an RBK50 connected to a Virgin Superhub 3 - with a QNAP Nas connected somewhere.

Why? Because the methods I've so far used have had a multitude of issues.

I picked up a 2nd hand Orbi RBK50 (one satellite).

It was initially on the most recent firmware 2.7.2.104  (but I have since rolled back to the 2.5.2.4 - but it seems to be having issues too.)

I thought I'd set it up ok - but initially I was only getting half the speed I could from using the Superhub when in router mode (circa 180 rather than 380meg down). Eventually I managed to do something (not sure what), that resulted in me getting great coverage, and the full 380meg downstream speed I could get just using the Superhub 3. Great stuff (so I thought).

I then tried to connected up my Qnap - which initially wasn't picked up on the network (using the QFinder app). So I rebooted everything. That's when things really started falling apart.

I could connect to the Orbi mesh - but the Orbi couldn't connect to the internet.

Lan cable from PC to superhub showed modem was working fine - but the Orbi wasn't connecting properly with the modem. Tried several reboots / resets of Orbi and modem - still to no avail.

So what should I do? The Orbi rig could be goosed - I don't know - but a bulletproof method to install would be great. 

Note initially I tried to set up using the android app - but it seems a bit sketchy, so I was resorting to using the web interface instead - and like I said, I rolled back to the earlier 2.5 something firmware thinking it may be that, which is the problem.

Any advice really would be great. I'm a relative noob at this.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
subharmonic
Aspirant

Re: RBK50 Nightmare (Superhub 3 & QNAP)

I should add - I don't have any preference for what handles router duties - I just want a set up that will work and of course, I don't know where I should be connecting up the Qnap - should it be cabled up to the Superhub 3, or the Orbi? When should that be connected up , and is there an order or process I should follow to connect it up? (eg powering down superhub first, and then cabling, then switching back on - or whatever).

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 3 of 10
subharmonic
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38 - the obvious and easiest option is 1), which I have been trying to do.
So I actually did get it going again.

I reset everything - totally started from scratch.

Reset the Superhub 3 - once reset, then put it into modem mode, and switched it off.

Reset the Orbi router and satellite, started the set-up and paired router with satellite.

Then switched back on the modem - and everything worked fine.

I assumed then, it would be a case of, switching off the modem again (not switching off the Orbi), plugging the QNAP into the modem, and then restarting the modem.

It this point, the Orbi can't connect to the internet - which was the same issue I had before.

So I'm now considering doing the same thing again - resetting the Superhub etc - but when I should plug in the Orbi, also at the same time plug in the Qnap...

I don't understand why rebooting the modem should screw things up so much. It's a real PITA.

At this juncture it feels like any time I'll need to reboot any component, in order to get this to work, I'll need to reset and reboot everything in a particular order, or it won't work.

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

@subharmonic wrote:

Thanks FURRYe38 - the obvious and easiest option is 1), which I have been trying to do.
So I actually did get it going again.

I reset everything - totally started from scratch.

Reset the Superhub 3 - once reset, then put it into modem mode, and switched it off.

Reset the Orbi router and satellite, started the set-up and paired router with satellite.

Then switched back on the modem - and everything worked fine.

I assumed then, it would be a case of, switching off the modem again (not switching off the Orbi), plugging the QNAP into the modem, and then restarting the modem.< The QNAP should be connected to the Orbi system, not the modem running in modem only mode. 

It this point, the Orbi can't connect to the internet - which was the same issue I had before.

So I'm now considering doing the same thing again - resetting the Superhub etc - but when I should plug in the Orbi, also at the same time plug in the Qnap...

I don't understand why rebooting the modem should screw things up so much. It's a real PITA.

At this juncture it feels like any time I'll need to reboot any component, in order to get this to work, I'll need to reset and reboot everything in a particular order, or it won't work.

Message 5 of 10
subharmonic
Aspirant

Oddly - I did a half assed reset of everything last night (was in a rush), and again Orbi doesn't connect to the Internet but the Qnap has been picked up even though its connected to the Superhub.

Does anyone know if all the lan ports on the superhub work when it's in modem mode?
Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

When in modem mode, only 1 LAN port would be active and usable. So the RBR should be connected to the 1 active LAN port on the modem and the QNAP should be connected to the RBR. 

Message 7 of 10
subharmonic
Aspirant

Aha. That answers it then.
I think you've cracked it for me. I'll let you know how I get on. I'm confident tho.
Message 8 of 10
subharmonic
Aspirant

So - indeed this seems to have fixed my issues.

Question I have remaining though is, when/if I need to apply any updates, is there an order I should power things down /up? Or does it matter? Thanks for all the help so far tho - it's been really appreciated.
It seems that the key bit of info has been that when the virgin hub is in modem mode only one lan port is usable on the back of the hub. A fairly key point lol...
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Update the RBS first then RBR lastly when doing FW updates on Orbi.

Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 
Enjoy. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7