Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 Orbi Satellite crashes network

XeroFire
Tutor

RBK50 Orbi Satellite crashes network

So I have had intermittent problems with the orbi system since the day I bought it, but as of this moment, the main issue I’m having is that the satellite is unusable. As soon as its powered on and connects via wireless backhaul to the main unit, I lose all internet access on both devices, and I cannot even log into the satellite via an Ethernet connected pc. The only solution I have right now is powering the satellite off, which leaves everything running off the main unit. I saw on another thread that some people are experiencing ARP attacks, (not really sure what that is btw) from their satellite, but that thread said it was via Ethernet backhaul. I’m running the latest firmware on both devices, 2.1.4.16, and other than setting a dedicated IP address for the satellite, all other settings are default. The satellite has 3 devices connected via Ethernet, one steam link, one PC, and a TV. Any suggestions? I love this system when it works, but I can’t believe the support policy. 90 days for a consumer product is crap, especially for something this expensive. I’ve looked into getting a different product, but on paper, everything is a downgrade, and I can’t bring myself to do it. Here’s hoping a competitor can produce a superior product sooner rather than later.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

I have the exact same problem, and have for a long time now. If you try repeatedly, I think you will find that about 1 in 5 times the satellite comes up without a problem. The other 4 of 5 times, the router becomes completely unresponsive.  At least that was the case prior to v2.1.4.16

In my case, I see the satellite come online wirelessly in the admin panel and then it fails when attempting to switch to wired backhaul.  Disconnecting the wired connection causes it to fall back to wireless and the router becomes responsive again.

When it fails, everything fails. Routing, web console,  wifi connectivity, etc. It is as if the router spikes to 100% and ignores all external input.

Recently I have experienced it running 2.1.4.10 (yesterday) and 2.1.4.16 (today). I have done a factor reset on both units, without improvement.  The only mod I have running is to split 2.4 and 5 onto separate SIDs.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Both, please respond to the following:

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Using 1 or two satellites?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 3 of 15
XeroFire
Tutor

ARRIS SB6121
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 2000
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. Approx 25 ft

Using 1 or two satellites? 1

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Auto
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 2 other networks in range, both are some distance away as our home is on a 1/2 acre parcel, so its not super close to the neighbors. 
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

I’ve done all the basic troubleshooting with netgear support previously. They installed wireshark, and some other software tracking network activity. That was for the bigger issue I’ve had where certain devices won’t connect to the network at all for more than a few seconds at a time. I believe the fault lies in the DHCP protocol built into the router because rebooting the device allows an IP address to be assigned correctly (if only for a few hours anyway). Specifically there were issues with IPhones, IPads, and Roku’s, but again, that is not the issue I’m having currently, so it has no bearing on the satellite crashing the network. 

Right now, the main router unit is functioning, and provides signal to my entire home, but as I have devices outside in my backyard, the satellite is necessary to be able to access a strong signal at those locations. 

My plan for this evening when i have time to try again, is to factory reset the satellite again, and manually connect via ethernet before I connect the satellite to the main network via wireless backhaul. I want to be able to access the satellite log to see if I can figure out what’s actually happening, but if it crashes even when its not connected to the main network, I don’t know what I can do. I’m hoping that Netgear is aware of this issue, and that a firmware update is pending, but I’m not holding my breath. 

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, connect it via wireless first, then connect wired, wait 5 minutes fot the top LED to turn on BLUE. Then set up a reserved IP address for the satellite ON the router. This helps keep an IP address constant for the satellite. 

Any network switches in the mix? if so, whats the Mfr and model#? 

Can try my configuration on my friends 50 series couple of months ago, still working great:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@XeroFire wrote:

So I have had intermittent problems with the orbi system since the day I bought it, but as of this moment, the main issue I’m having is that the satellite is unusable. As soon as its powered on and connects via wireless backhaul to the main unit, I lose all internet access on both devices, and I cannot even log into the satellite via an Ethernet connected pc. The only solution I have right now is powering the satellite off, which leaves everything running off the main unit. I saw on another thread that some people are experiencing ARP attacks, (not really sure what that is btw) from their satellite, but that thread said it was via Ethernet backhaul. I’m running the latest firmware on both devices, 2.1.4.16, and other than setting a dedicated IP address for the satellite, all other settings are default. The satellite has 3 devices connected via Ethernet, one steam link, one PC, and a TV. Any suggestions? I love this system when it works, but I can’t believe the support policy. 90 days for a consumer product is crap, especially for something this expensive. I’ve looked into getting a different product, but on paper, everything is a downgrade, and I can’t bring myself to do it. Here’s hoping a competitor can produce a superior product sooner rather than later.

Message 5 of 15
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

I think part of your problem may be using Auto channel on the 2.4 band. You should never use Auto. Sniff out your local airwaves with inSSIDer or similar program, pick a channel, and stay there. Preferably channel 1, 6, or 11 to reduce overlap with other channels.

WiFi equipment makers ship everything set to Auto channel because they want it to work out of the box. And it will, but probably not for long. In my experience, Auto causes routers & access points to hop around from channel to channel based on nearby traffic, leaving devices wondering where the WiFi went.

If you have no neighbors, or your issues are on the 5 GHz band, then I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

ALso should not use Daisy chain on a wired back haul...

Message 7 of 15
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

In my situation I have a router and a satellite that are directly connected.  And it's the Orbi admin console that locks up, so I fail to see the relevance of any wireless settings or the ISP modem. For this to work I have to turn off the satellite until the router is 100% stable. Then boot the satellite and wait for it to stabilize on wifi, which will create a period of console inaccessibility. Then, and only then, can I replug the wired backhaul.  If it is connected at boot, the console remains inaccessible until the satellite is powered off.

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? 
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. This would be effecting wired back haul configurations.

Try a Manual FW load:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

For wired back haul:
Set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router as you add them to the router. The satellites need to be set up via wireless first. Then connect 1 satellite at a time to the ethernet LAN cable. Wait 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the 1st satellite. Continue to do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Then follow up with your devices.

@OrbiPhilip wrote:

In my situation I have a router and a satellite that are directly connected.  And it's the Orbi admin console that locks up, so I fail to see the relevance of any wireless settings or the ISP modem. For this to work I have to turn off the satellite until the router is 100% stable. Then boot the satellite and wait for it to stabilize on wifi, which will create a period of console inaccessibility. Then, and only then, can I replug the wired backhaul.  If it is connected at boot, the console remains inaccessible until the satellite is powered off.

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@XeroFire wrote:

ARRIS SB6121
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 2000
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. Approx 25 ft

Using 1 or two satellites? 1

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Auto
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 2 other networks in range, both are some distance away as our home is on a 1/2 acre parcel, so its not super close to the neighbors. 

I’ve done all the basic troubleshooting with netgear support previously. They installed wireshark, and some other software tracking network activity. That was for the bigger issue I’ve had where certain devices won’t connect to the network at all for more than a few seconds at a time. I believe the fault lies in the DHCP protocol built into the router because rebooting the device allows an IP address to be assigned correctly (if only for a few hours anyway). Specifically there were issues with IPhones, IPads, and Roku’s, but again, that is not the issue I’m having currently, so it has no bearing on the satellite crashing the network. 

Right now, the main router unit is functioning, and provides signal to my entire home, but as I have devices outside in my backyard, the satellite is necessary to be able to access a strong signal at those locations. 

My plan for this evening when i have time to try again, is to factory reset the satellite again, and manually connect via ethernet before I connect the satellite to the main network via wireless backhaul. I want to be able to access the satellite log to see if I can figure out what’s actually happening, but if it crashes even when its not connected to the main network, I don’t know what I can do. I’m hoping that Netgear is aware of this issue, and that a firmware update is pending, but I’m not holding my breath. 

Message 10 of 15
Halaqwe
Tutor

This was fixed for me by tech support.
When I put the network cable directly from any port on the satellite to the first network port on the router ( the one closest to the internet port) the network came back again.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 11 of 15
ekhalil
Master

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

For wired back haul:
Set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router as you add them to the router. The satellites need to be set up via wireless first. Then connect 1 satellite at a time to the ethernet LAN cable. Wait 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the 1st satellite. Continue to do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Then follow up with your devices.

@Halaqwe wrote:

This was fixed for me by tech support. 
When I put the network cable directly from any port on the satellite to the first network port on the router ( the one closest to the internet port) the network came back again.

Message 13 of 15
Halaqwe
Tutor

I mentioned this to tech support and they said it was not needed only needed if you are doing port forwarding

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmmm, doesn't seem like PF would effect how satellites are being connected either wifi or wired back haul. Something I haven't experienced with my system. So there saying if you are using PF configurations, the satellite won't connect properly to the base router in wired backhaul? 

Kind of confused here. 

@Halaqwe wrote:

I mentioned this to tech support and they said it was not needed only needed if you are doing port forwarding

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7