Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 (RBR50 / RBS50) Satellite WIFI issues with FW 2.5.1.x

jreed336
Initiate

RBK50 (RBR50 / RBS50) Satellite WIFI issues with FW 2.5.1.x

Posting more in hopes NetGear may actually still read these.

I've got an RBK50 set up, RBR50 and RBS50. RBS50 is set up with ethernet backhaul. Have had them for a couple of years, and zero issues except occaisional firmware issues. Firmware  V2.3.5.30 works fine. 

The devices either auto upgraded or I accidently upgraded the router to 2.5.1.8. Within a day, my family immediately noticed wifi issues on the far side of the house. I restarted the RBS50 and thought it was just a little flakey after it had auto-updated. No big deal, seemed to work for maybe 30min - 1hr.  Repeated this for a couple of days. 

Skipping ahead - RBS50 will not keep WIFI connections. Devices will either report no connection, no internet connection, and then eventually connect to the router with the weaker WIFI strength. Ethernet ports off the back of the RBS50 work great. We have Xbox and few other devices off the ports, and not a single issue. You could see the TV report WIFI disconnects, but could still play online games. I performed factory resets on the satellite, router, etc. and still same issue.  

2.5.1.16 and 2.5.1.32 both were released while doing this. I manually applied those firmware udpates in hopes that would resolve the issue. No luck. Even did factory resets with those fimware, no change. Also tried the satellite using wifi backhaul, no luck. It just drops the devices off wifi connections repeatedly and they all home back to the RBR50.

I did learn that if I have RBR50 on any of the 2.5.1.x firmware, and RBS50 on the V2.3.5.30 firmware - It all works!!!  However, I cannot prevent the satellite from auto-updating to match the router's firmware version. I tried the config and nvram settings, changed the update URL, etc. It would always update to match the RBR50 and start having issues.

I rolled everything back to V2.3.5.30 and again stable as can be. Since NetGear will not let us open support cases after 1year, not sure how else to provide them the feedback on this.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 (RBR50 / RBS50) Satellite WIFI issues with FW 2.5.1.x

What is the mfr and model # of any LAN switches your using between the RBR and RBS when ethernet connected?

Been using v16 since it released on my RBK50. Zero issues. RBS work wired and wireless. I applied manually to RBS first then RBR then factory reset the whole system and setup from scratch. Using manual channels, beamforming and mimo enabled. 40Mhz only. No Armor or Circle enabled for my system. 

System Uptime14:01:43:04

Even added a RBS20 wireless as well from a CBK40 system. Works. 

I still need to upgrade and see if v32 is the same. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@jreed336 wrote:

Posting more in hopes NetGear may actually still read these.

Since NetGear will not let us open support cases after 1year, not sure how else to provide them the feedback on this.

In over two years, I have never seen anyone on the forum identified as a Netgear employee, certainly not an engineer who would have any knowledge of or input into design issues.

The only method I have seen to "get something noticed" is to send a private message to one of the community moderators by clicking on their screen name, such @Dustin_V and explain the issue to them.

It is really puzzling when some users have definite issues that do not appear to afflict other users.  In the past 18 months, my Orbi has never "automatically upgraded firmware."  Not once.  My WiFi devices do not change from satellite to router unless I physically move them closer.  I think you are damn fortunate to have found a stable solution and would be extremely reluctant to ever update firmware.

Not what you wanted to hear.  Sorry.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I manually applied v32 last night over v16. I have not done a facotory reset. Updated and continued. I'll post if I notice anything. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7