Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 Router Mode - ATT Fiber

Swanny297
Aspirant

RBK50 Router Mode - ATT Fiber

I just set up my Orbi tonight and did the basic set up with my ATT fiber, turned off WiFi and put Orbi in AP Mode. It is working great. To take advantage of parental controls etc. how hard is it to put in Router mode? I am somewhat tech savvy but not an expert by any means. I currently have the BGW210 ATT router/modem?

TIA
Clint
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Putting the Orbi in router mode is easy.  It is on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Router/AP mode.

The issue that people face is having two routers "works" (for the most part.  I did it for over a year.) but eventually, there are specific situations which are horrible when there is a "Double NAT" (two routers.  Google it for explanations.)

There seem to be a lot of "issues" with Netgear's parental controls, so I (personally) would want to look through the Netgear community forum on Disney Circle before selecting to implement it: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle There are things that it does..... and things that it cannot do.

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to put your RBR in the IP-Passthru on the ISP modem when you have the RBR in Router mode. Helps with NAT and connection problems that maybe seen when you have two routers on the same line. 

@Swanny297 wrote:
I just set up my Orbi tonight and did the basic set up with my ATT fiber, turned off WiFi and put Orbi in AP Mode. It is working great. To take advantage of parental controls etc. how hard is it to put in Router mode? I am somewhat tech savvy but not an expert by any means. I currently have the BGW210 ATT router/modem?

TIA
Clint

Message 3 of 10
Swanny297
Aspirant

Furry

I have ATT fiber 1000. I have the Orbi router connected to the ATT gateway. I have the ATT modem in Passthrough mode.
When I did this I selected the RBR in the MAC address list I didn’t change anything else.
I am getting 985 upload speed and 698 download speed at the ATT gateway but when I do a speed test on the WiFi signal they are both in the 200s - am I doing something wrong?
Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What are wired speeds with a wired PC thru the Orbi? 

What wifi devices are you using to speed test wireless? Some devices will max out at around 400-500Mbps. I believe some newer phones should be able too see higher speeds. 

Message 5 of 10
Swanny297
Aspirant

Sons gaming computer is wired into Orbi router he is getting 477 down and 460 up.

I was checking them on my iPhone (X) the ATT speeds I checked through the ATT 192.168.1.254 interface.
Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so lets do this, disable pass thru on the ISP modem and configure the RBR for AP mode. Ensure the Modems wifi radios are disabled. Use a wired PC connected to the RBR with both RBSs turned off for now. Lets work with the RBR alone for now. What speeds are seen using this configuration. 

Message 7 of 10
Swanny297
Aspirant

Average 360 down and 380 up
Message 8 of 10
Swanny297
Aspirant

493 down and 329 up on WIFI - definitely better in AP
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Those speeds wired?

Have seen some odd issues with these ATT model modems. Only thing i would try if you can, take the RBR to a different location to see if it works with a different modem. Compare speeds. Maybe some problem between the RBR and ISP Modem. 

Only other thing would be to file a support ticket with NG and see if the system can be RMAd. 

I RBK50 works on my 1Gb speed and see near 900Mpbs and 50Mbps on the UP. So I can confirm mine works, however I use a CM1100 Cable modem which is a modem only. No router built in. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7