Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 Router losing internet connection after upgrade to V2.2.1.210

ericsammons
Aspirant

RBK50 Router losing internet connection after upgrade to V2.2.1.210

Hello,

Recently I've been experiencing issues with my internet connection being lost about 2-3 times per day. In the couple years I've been with this ISP, I've never had an issue. At first I just assumed it was the ISP, but I realized that it started happening right after my router was automatically upgraded to V2.2.1.210.

Here's more details:

Randomly the internet connection drops, but wifi is still up. To restore the connection, I either reboot the router via my iPhone Genie app, or I can just go into the web-based Orbi Admin page and click on the "Test" button under "Internet" (not sure why that restores the connection). Also, when I go into the Orbi Admin page when the connection is lost, it says "Status: WAITING" under Internet (instead of "Status: GOOD"). 

It's still possible it's the ISP, but they aren't helping, and it's very suspicious it started right after the firmware upgrade.

Any ideas? 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 Router losing internet connection after upgrade to V2.2.1.210

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Also Try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1649157/highligh...

Message 2 of 5
ericsammons
Aspirant

Unfortunately, my ISP puts their modem in a locked box on the outside wall, so I can't see the manufacturer information.

Before I saw your message, I decided to downgrade the firmware to V2.1.4.16, and after about 20 hours I've had no lost connections. At some point, I'll try to upgrade again and enable Daisy Chain, but hopefully, Netgear will fix the firmware, if that's the problem. 

Message 3 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@ericsammons wrote:

Hello,

...., or I can just go into the web-based Orbi Admin page and click on the "Test" button under "Internet" (not sure why that restores the connection). Also, when I go into the Orbi Admin page when the connection is lost, it says "Status: WAITING" under Internet (instead of "Status: GOOD"). 

Is your Orbi set in Router or AP Mode? Who provides DHCP functionality, ISP router or Orbi? 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, please try a FW upgrade if you get time and Enable Daisy Chain. NG is aware of this problem.

@ericsammons wrote:

Unfortunately, my ISP puts their modem in a locked box on the outside wall, so I can't see the manufacturer information.

Before I saw your message, I decided to downgrade the firmware to V2.1.4.16, and after about 20 hours I've had no lost connections. At some point, I'll try to upgrade again and enable Daisy Chain, but hopefully, Netgear will fix the firmware, if that's the problem. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7