Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 - Router sending out add'l wifi network

fteng12
Aspirant

RBK50 - Router sending out add'l wifi network

I set up a new RBK50 system with a router and two satellites.  During set up, I changed the network name to a personal name and also enabled the Guest network afterwards.  Everything with that wifi network seems to be working fine.  However, I noticed on my computer that there is an add'l wifi network available called "Orbi50".  I was curious and tried to connect and I was able to.  There is a password requirement, but it seems that my laptop had it saved in there.  But I never accessed or set-up the router with my laptop.  I did everything with the app via my phone.  And this is a completely new router and I have never connected to or seen a Orbi50 wifi network, so I have no idea how I was able to connect.  FYI, I'm at home and do not have access to any of my neighbor's wifi networks.

Just to double check, I turned off my Orbi router off and both my personal renamed wife network and guest wifi went offline as did the separate "Orbi50" wifi network.  When I turned my router on again, I was able to access the "Orbi50" wifi network.  I tried accessing this wifi network on my phone and it required a password.  I tried using the default wifi password that came with the router, but that did not work.  And the wifi network name that came with the router was not "Orbi50" anyway.

I thought maybe the Orbi50 network was just a connection to the router only for setup purposes, but I can access the internet when on this network, which I don't think you are supposed to be able to do if it is just a network for setup purposes?  Not sure.  I tried logging into the router via a browser and the only networks it shows are my personal network and my guest network, no mention of an "Orbi50" network.

So I'm very confused and also a little concerned about security if my router is broadcasting a separate wifi-network that I cannot control.  It is password protected, but I don't even know how my computer had the password for it.  Again, I never set up the Orbi with this laptop and I have never accessed the Orbi50 network so don't even know how my computer had a saved password for it.  I literally set up the router yesterday.

Anyone else experience this, or know why it's happening and how to control it/shut it down from broadcasting?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
BIG9MM
Apprentice

@fteng12 wrote:

I set up a new RBK50 system with a router and two satellites.  During set up, I changed the network name to a personal name and also enabled the Guest network afterwards.  Everything with that wifi network seems to be working fine.  However, I noticed on my computer that there is an add'l wifi network available called "Orbi50".  I was curious and tried to connect and I was able to.  There is a password requirement, but it seems that my laptop had it saved in there.  But I never accessed or set-up the router with my laptop.  I did everything with the app via my phone.  And this is a completely new router and I have never connected to or seen a Orbi50 wifi network, so I have no idea how I was able to connect.  FYI, I'm at home and do not have access to any of my neighbor's wifi networks.

Just to double check, I turned off my Orbi router off and both my personal renamed wife network and guest wifi went offline as did the separate "Orbi50" wifi network.  When I turned my router on again, I was able to access the "Orbi50" wifi network.  I tried accessing this wifi network on my phone and it required a password.  I tried using the default wifi password that came with the router, but that did not work.  And the wifi network name that came with the router was not "Orbi50" anyway.

I thought maybe the Orbi50 network was just a connection to the router only for setup purposes, but I can access the internet when on this network, which I don't think you are supposed to be able to do if it is just a network for setup purposes?  Not sure.  I tried logging into the router via a browser and the only networks it shows are my personal network and my guest network, no mention of an "Orbi50" network.

So I'm very confused and also a little concerned about security if my router is broadcasting a separate wifi-network that I cannot control.  It is password protected, but I don't even know how my computer had the password for it.  Again, I never set up the Orbi with this laptop and I have never accessed the Orbi50 network so don't even know how my computer had a saved password for it.  I literally set up the router yesterday.

Anyone else experience this, or know why it's happening and how to control it/shut it down from broadcasting?

I know it comes with one Wi-Fi for home and one for guest.  If you look at the bottom of your router you’ll see the broadcast name when it’s factory reset. Just go into your Windows settings if you’re using windows and hit forget network name.  Also on the phone make sure you hit forget network name.  Just unplug the router plug it back in and the Wi-Fi name should go away that you were seeing.

Also, remember there’s a little reset button in the back if you just hit it without holding it let it reset it might go away.  Just do not hold it too long! One time I remembered it did something similar and I tap the reset button in the back and the Wi-Fi name went away.

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@fteng12 wrote:

I noticed on my computer that there is an add'l wifi network available called "Orbi50".  I was curious and tried to connect and I was able to.

My, my, my. Before recommending a "Factory Reset" and start over, do you have any WiFi tools?  For example, on Windows there is WifiInfoView (free).  Android has various WiFi Analyzer apps.  Any of these will display the SSID of all available WiFi networks and also the MAC address of each access point (including the "hidden" router access point for the 5G WiFi backhaul).  There are a dozen other WiFi Scanner programs.  I just happen to use these two.

The primary and guest SSID's on each of your Orbi devices should each have the same WiFi MAC address for 2.4G and for 5G.  This makes three primary MAC's and three guest MAC's on both 2.4G and 5G. If the MAC address on this ORBI50 matches any of those MAC addresses, "Houston, we have a problem."

Message 3 of 10
BIG9MM
Apprentice

Android and Apple IOS apps for Wifi analyzer

Message 4 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

The reset button on the back of the Orbi acts 2 ways. Long press will factory reset. Short press will reboot the router or satellite. As mentioned a short press on the reset button may clear he eronious WIFI name. At first I thought maybe you named the main WIFI but forgot to name the Guest WIFI. But I see you are showing 3 networks to log into, your 2 named networks and Orbi50

Message 5 of 10
fteng12
Aspirant

Thanks.  Forgetting the network did not work.  My other devices don't have the "Orbi50" network saved.  It is just an available network when scanning for networks.  So it doesn't seem to be the issue.  I'll save the reset as a last resort.  It doesn't seem it should be possible to broadcast this separate network and I'm hoping someone has seen this.  Thanks.

Message 6 of 10
fteng12
Aspirant

I'm on a Mac, so can't use those programs.  I'll see if I can find some other way to look that info up.  Thanks.

Message 7 of 10
fteng12
Aspirant

Oops, didn't see this iOS option you posted.  I'll look into it.  Thanks.

Message 8 of 10
fteng12
Aspirant

Thanks for the info on the reset.  Yes, I'm seeing 3 networks, the main one, a guest one and the "Orbi50" network.

Message 9 of 10
BIG9MM
Apprentice

All good 👍
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements