Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 Slow WiFi

Mickelmore
Tutor

RBK50 Slow WiFi

Hi guys.

My first post after searching the forum thin for answers.

I have RBK50, one router and one satelite.
My first world problem is that i'm only able to reach 300mbit on wifi, but my buddy who has the same RBK50 at his folks and a RBR20 at his apartment can rreach 700-750mbit on wifi..
Speedtest on the router i'm getting full connection 960/930.

And this is even close to the main router, and i tried a couple of feet away.

My router is connected to a Modem, so router is set up as AP, but i tried setting it up as a router.
Firmware version is V2.3.5.30.
My house is 2400 square feet, but as said, even close to it i don't get higher.
There is about 25 feet between the router and satelite, i've tried closer and further, but no difference.
I've sat the channels to unused on both 2.4 and 5ghz. Only 1 neighbor.

I've tried enabled and disabling various settings, even this:

"Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s)."

I also think it's weird that under "advanced - advanced home - wireless settings" i only have 1 5g. My buddy has 2.(see pictures)
https://imgur.com/a/lNOVkGQ

Any ideas on what to do?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 27
plemans
Guru

Re: RBK50 Slow WiFi

thats a challenge. A lot depends on what you're testing with. Most wireless devices (aka phones, tablets, laptops) are 1x1 or 2x2 antenna configurations and very dependant on the chipset used. thats why wireless speedtesting is only used for a general idea of how stuff is running and not a true representation.  Plus any wireless interference can slow speeds down. So if you have a lot of wireless networks in your area, you're speeds will be lower. 

Again, many things impact wireless speeds so you can't fully compare them apples to apples. You could bring your buddies system over to your place and it might get the sames speeds. 

In terms of the radios, all the orbi devices have 3 radio's. 1 of them is used for the wireless backhaul and the rest for device usage. 

Message 2 of 27
Mickelmore
Tutor

I have testet with 5 different devices, even his which can reach 700mbit.

I don't have any wireless devices that can slow the wifi down, and I forgot to mention that it has been this ever since I bought them a year ago, and moved 2 times, it is capped at 330mbit, it stops at that on all devices.

Also on my his folks rbk50, there are 3 bands under wireless settings, 1 2.4G and 2 5g, isn't that strange? 🙂

I should also mention that he lives in a apartment with 25 other wifi signals, has the cheapest and smallest orbi, and he reaches 700mbit.. So something must be wrong with mine 😛
Message 3 of 27
plemans
Guru

I'm not sure if you're looking at the correct info or how you guys are testing his system. Here's the full review from smallnetbuilder.  One of the best router review/testing sites there are.  Testing under optimal conditions with zero interference, the best antenna configuration, and a true testing bench for accurate results, SNB is maxing out the connection at roughly 600mbps with the closest location, zero backhaul.  With any attenuation, backhaul, or just general usage testing its averaging the 300-400 mbps at best. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33132-wi-fi-system-retest-netgear-ac3000-o...

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33022-mesh-mashup-redux-netgear-s-orbi-che...

I have the same RBK53 system and can attest to those speeds. Over wireless I get 300-400mbps at the best locations with my fastest wireless device. While hardwired, I can max out around 940mbps. But again, wireless speeds are much different.  So I'm not sure how you're testing your system or his system as these are kind of key parts to this. 

Message 4 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Do a search on Firmware version is V2.3.5.30.

Once you've sorted that out, then (if you must) re-do your 'SPEED' test.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 27
plemans
Guru

@Retired_MemberInitial post shows he's on the current firmware 

Message 6 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@plemans wrote:

@Retired_MemberInitial post shows he's on the current firmware 

I got that and there lies the possible problem.  Lots of reports of folks having issues with Firmware version is V2.3.5.30..  Not sure if this is a new install and he/she got it on setup or they just had to have the next update.

Message 7 of 27
Mickelmore
Tutor

It's tested with speedtest.net, so not that difficuly to read the numbers.
Regarding the test you link to, i have found seveal tests where they hit 700mbit on wifi in apartmens, and houses.
It's not unusual to hit those numbers if you have the speed to do so.

I have colleagues who also hit 700mbit and over with Velos setups.
And considering i have no other wifi interference at the router, and no other units on wifi, then i think it's wierd...

My buddy is bringing over his ac2200 this evening, and i will test with his to see hvad speeds i will get with it at my house.

@Retired_Member  I have updated 3 or 4 times, it has never reached higher speeds, so i don't think it's anything to do with that 🙂 

Message 8 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Retired_Member  I have updated 3 or 4 times, it has never reached higher speeds, so i don't think it's anything to do with that 🙂 

I'm not talking about the number of times you've updated.  There are reported issues with Firmware version is V2.3.5.30.  You may be suffering from the same experience.  What I'm suggesting is search the forum and read some of the posts.  Some folks were able to work through it doing various tweaks on their system, while others reverted their FW.  

Also note that NG no longer auto pushes FW UNLESS it contains major revisions.  Firmware version is V2.3.5.30 did not contain major changes.  The other FW updates may not needed for all uses.  My suggestion, is IF your system works, leave it alone.

Message 9 of 27
Mickelmore
Tutor

Well, since this issue have been there since i got it 1,5 years ago. So i can't be firmware issue.
But for the fun of it, i can try and revert. 🙂

So far, the solutions which worked for others, i've already tried..

Message 10 of 27
Mickelmore
Tutor

Okay so, I tried reverting back to 2.3.0.32 and did a complete reset of router and satelite, exactly same speed.

I then went Further back, and reverted to 2.2.1.212, again reset and exactly same speed...

My buddy then came with his rbr20, and boom, 819mbit via speedtest..

So faulty rbk50?
Message 11 of 27
plemans
Guru

Nothing I say is going to impact how you're looking at your system. Again, not sure how you're testing your friends system or whats going on for his to get such high throughput but look through some mesh system reviews with actual data. I've tested the RBR50, RBR40, TP-link M9plus, Trednet nova, and google wifi. All my results are around the 300-400ish range. With a laptop, I can pull better speeds by not by a lot. 

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-tp-link-deco-m9-plus-review-mesh-networking-system-smart-home...

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/your-router-isnt-as-fast-as-you-think-it-is-heres-why/

Message 12 of 27
Mickelmore
Tutor

It's pretty simple, on my laptop I go to speedtest . net, run it and it says 300mbit down.
Then I switch my rbr50 with his rbr20 and run the speedtest again and now it says 800+- down.

So I can't really understand how you can't see the problem??

I have read 10+ reviews, and yes some hit the same speeds about 300, but a lot also hits 400, 500 and even 700.
Message 13 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Mickelmore wrote:
It's pretty simple, on my laptop I go to speedtest . net, run it and it says 300mbit down.
Then I switch my rbr50 with his rbr20 and run the speedtest again and now it says 800+- down.

So I can't really understand how you can't see the problem??

I have read 10+ reviews, and yes some hit the same speeds about 300, but a lot also hits 400, 500 and even 700.

How old is your laptop?  wifi adapter driver update?

Message 14 of 27
Mickelmore
Tutor

It's not my laptop as it hits 819mbit with his rbr20 router 🙂
Message 15 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Mickelmore wrote:
It's not my laptop as it hits 819mbit with his rbr20 router 🙂

ok....

Message 16 of 27
plemans
Guru

agree with @Retired_Member Ok. 

I'm doubting those speeds.  wireless speeds have a overhead built into them that even if you're have the max connection you won't get close to that. The orbi main connection is a 866mbps link. You can't hit that speed.  here's an article about why. 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

If you're hitting 819 mbps, thats a roughly 94.5% efficiency based off the 866mbps connection. hardwired ethernet has a 6% loss of speed. so you're doing better than a hardwired connection efficiency. thats why I keep sending you all the testing articles.  No one with proper testing gear/setup has gotten close to what you're reporting.

yes, I've seen the occassionaly 700mbps test with optimal conditions in the real world. Is it representative of what orbi can do? No. no one has a clear wifi environment and can only be that close to the orbi and zero interference. 

Message 17 of 27
Mickelmore
Tutor

Okay then, here is a link of the speedtest done on my WIFI on the rbr20, the 1.2gbit is on wired.
I'm paying for a 1000/1000.

https://imgur.com/a/MIdKjCe

These speeds are also the same at my friends apartment, and I also have a colleague who hits same speeds with Velos.

So how come the speeds are that high, as you can see on the rbr20, but on my rbr50 I hit 300, under half?

The tests are done on my lenovo P52.
Message 18 of 27
plemans
Guru

So you're telling me that you're pulling a 1.2gbps connection over gigabit ethernet? 

do you see what I'm getting at? 

Message 19 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

I and others have seen this issue on the 50 series Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

I believe this is a FW issue where HW accelleration is not getting enabled like it needs to be. 

I recommend that you open up an support ticket and let NG know what your seeing as well:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@Blanca_O 

@Mickelmore wrote:
Okay then, here is a link of the speedtest done on my WIFI on the rbr20, the 1.2gbit is on wired.
I'm paying for a 1000/1000.

https://imgur.com/a/MIdKjCe

These speeds are also the same at my friends apartment, and I also have a colleague who hits same speeds with Velos.

So how come the speeds are that high, as you can see on the rbr20, but on my rbr50 I hit 300, under half?

The tests are done on my lenovo P52.

Message 20 of 27
Mickelmore
Tutor

Yes.. At work we have 500, and a speedtest says 550-570... I guess that's just how it is here in Denmark...

You think the pictures are fake?
What reason would I have for that?
Message 21 of 27
plemans
Guru

didn't say you faked the pictures. 

a. orbi is gigabit ethernet device.

b. even if you had a 2.5gb, 5gb, or 10gb connection, orbi's is 1gb connection 

https://www.cablefree.net/wireless-technology/maximum-throughput-gigabit-ethernet/

@FURRYe38 is correct in the issue with the limitation to 300mbps. 

Message 22 of 27
Mickelmore
Tutor

Well that's what the speedtest shows, so it must be wrong then.

@FURRYe38 thanks, I will give it a go..
But right now I'm almost selling this **** and going over to Velos..........
Message 23 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know...I have also informed NG about this as well. So far, crickets. Smiley Frustrated

@Mickelmore wrote:
Well that's what the speedtest shows, so it must be wrong then.

@FURRYe38thanks, I will give it a go..
But right now I'm almost selling this **** and going over to Velos..........

Message 24 of 27
Mickelmore
Tutor

Can anyone explain why my link rate is so slow (see link with picture)? I think I remember it being at 866 all the time before..

And I'm standing 3 feet from the router..

https://imgur.com/a/fiPhObT
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7