Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rif.: RBK50 - Slow Wifi Upload speed

AmanSingh
Tutor

RBK50 - Slow Wifi Upload speed

Hello,

I got New Orbi mesh system in September 2019, it had an issue with Slow wifi upload speeds since day 1. After months of hassle with support i was issued a new Orbi system. The bew Orbi system worked fine for a few days but now i get the same issue for slow upload speed over the wifi.

If i factory reset the orbi system and then configure again, it works fine for a few days but then it goes back to the same status.

Do you have any suggestions on how i can proceed further.

Please Note: India doesnt have a return policy and next replacement would be a refurbished system. If i can try some configuration changes which would fix this would be helpful.

Kindly suggest
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 - Slow Wifi Upload speed

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 36
AmanSingh
Tutor

Thanks for your response @FURRYe38  below are the details:

What Firmware is currently loaded? 2.5.1.8
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? RicherLink Epon ONU Model RL801E
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? Router Mode

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 2400 sq ft (2 floors, 1200 each)
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router - Currently i do not have the satellite connected. Am only using the router as of now

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Auto is currently set. Tried changing to different channels, still doesnt works
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Yes, 7

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings: Tried multiple combinations disabling those, still the same result.

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Tried multiple combinations does not resolves. When Daisy chain is disabled , the download speed also goes down.

Message 3 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a Facory reset the RBR and setup from scratch...

What devices are you using to check speed?

Message 4 of 36
AmanSingh
Tutor

Hello @FURRYe38 

Factory reset works, but after a few days, it goes back to the same situation.

It is strange only the upload speed over the wifi gets affected and it comes down to 1/4th of the speed that it should connect with.

Message 5 of 36
AmanSingh
Tutor

I have checked the speeds with below devices:

1. Windows Laptop over Wifi

2. iPhone

3. Samsung Phone

4. Desktop - Speed is fine over wired connection

Regards

Aman

Message 6 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support and ask for additional help and information regarding this. Possible your system maybe faulty. 

Message 7 of 36
AmanSingh
Tutor

i think its just the software is buggy or something maybe i am doing wrong here. 

But yes, ill reach out to NG support again. this is already a replaced system because they were not able to fix the same issue earlier.

Message 8 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you turn down the RBRs radio power from 100% to 50%? 

Seems like this maybe a environment issue. It's not FW as others don't see this problem as well as I don't. 

Message 9 of 36
Alienr0x
Aspirant

I have exacly the same problem, did you solved It ?
Message 10 of 36
AmanSingh
Tutor

Hello,

The issue still exists. Am learning to live with it since NG support is not good in India to replace the full system twice nor refund it.

I am using a different wifi system in the same environment and have no issues with that which also rules out the environment concern raised by Furry in his above comment.

If you have a return policy, i would suggest return it if NG doesnt fix your issue.

If they do fix, do let me know the resolution you got.

Regards
Aman
Message 11 of 36
Alienr0x
Aspirant

Unlucky my orbi is no more in warranty and im with FTTH from just some days, before i was with low upload from fttc so i was not able to see this problem, ill try anyway to contact Netgear. Thank you
Message 12 of 36
AmanSingh
Tutor

If you reset your orbi, it temporarily fixes the upload issue. It will lower the speed again if the system reboots
Message 13 of 36
Alienr0x
Aspirant

Yes i noticed it, but Will be a day a fix for this? Is It a software bug? I tryed to install volex firmware, but same issue
Message 14 of 36
Alienr0x
Aspirant

Do you have same issue also in LAN?
Message 15 of 36
AmanSingh
Tutor

Nope, only issue is wifi. LAN is fine.
Message 16 of 36
Alienr0x
Aspirant

Im reseting It, its very slow im waiting from 10 Min
Message 17 of 36
Alienr0x
Aspirant

Just for let you know, i bought on Amazon another One Orbi ( V2 this time ) and i have exacly the same problem, so i think that's a firmware problem...
Message 18 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try Voxels FW for Orbi:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you.

@AmanSingh wrote:
Hello,

The issue still exists. Am learning to live with it since NG support is not good in India to replace the full system twice nor refund it.

I am using a different wifi system in the same environment and have no issues with that which also rules out the environment concern raised by Furry in his above comment.

If you have a return policy, i would suggest return it if NG doesnt fix your issue.

If they do fix, do let me know the resolution you got.

Regards
Aman

Message 19 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@Alienr0x wrote:
I have exacly the same problem, did you solved It ?

Message 20 of 36
GerryGoa
Aspirant

I have the same issue, slow wifi speed. I have 1GB, I get anywhere between 2mbps to 150 mbps on wifi on several devices. 
. I'm going to return it back, I wasted enough time on this BS.
Factory resetting, rebooting, crap support, such a waste of my time. 

Message 21 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll not see any wifi speeds near 900Mpbs with Orbi AC. WIred yes you should. 

Seems like a bit more trouble shooting and suggestions to help you narrow down the problem would be needed. You didn't even give some of us here in the forums a chance to help you out so, I don't think you can accuse us of bad support.

Other including myself have good performances with Orbi AC systems. 

Good luck. 

@GerryGoa wrote:

I have the same issue, slow wifi speed. I have 1GB, I get anywhere between 2mbps to 150 mbps on wifi on several devices. 
. I'm going to return it back, I wasted enough time on this BS.
Factory resetting, rebooting, crap support, such a waste of my time. 

Message 22 of 36
AmanSingh
Tutor

I actually side with Gerry here. If few systems are working fine and a lot of users are facing issues similar to myself, that doesnt means Netgear shouldnt acknowledge it as “there is no issue” They should have their top of the line dev to work on the firmware and software side of the mesh system. People are heavily investing in these systems. This post already shares the history of users facing similar issues and tshooting already providing. Factory resetting the system after ever few days is not a solution it is a workaround and a painful one.
Message 23 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

I agree to a point however still, due diligence in troubleshooting to narrow down where the actual problem is needs to be done. One just can't blame NG entirely. There are many factors and conditions that can cause problems for ANY wifi system. Users here in the forums are here to help in this area to see if the problem can be found and resolved first. Then if not then NG support needs and should be involved. I and others here in the forums have helped resolved many issues for users problems. Tells me that not all of the problems can be heaped on NG. 

Message 24 of 36
AmanSingh
Tutor

NG support not acknowledging the problem tells a different story. A bug is not always causing issues to everyone but it does hits a lot of consumers. By now we should already have a bug id generated for it. But guess what it hasn’t. We did worked with NG support to get it resolved, they simply waited for weeks before gathering info and never responded unless you followup, thats not how a good support works. Moreover, the replacement policy is not the same in every region. We dont even get the option for returning or replacing it with a new orbi system. Even after NG support gave up. I can show you 50 tickets assigned to my account for the same issue. Which still persists.
Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7