Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 - Sold a new in box "old" system

choover6
Aspirant

RBK50 - Sold a new in box "old" system

In order to fully understand my issue, I need to give a little backstory on the problem I face.  Sorry if it seems a little long.

Ok, so I bought a "brand new in box" Orbi RBK50 system and I've had it about 3 weeks now.  Incredibly fast speeds compared to my crappy Xfinity modem/router and amazing signal.  But I was having issues updating the firmware (totally separate issue).  Last weekend the satellite went offline and speeds tanked.  I still had no luck updating the firmware so I got in touch with NG support.  After I read them my serial number they started acting a little weird about helping me and was asking me where I had bought it (Amazon).  Turns out my system was manufactured in 2018 (or 2017 - can't remember now).  The lady started saying that they were going to extend to me this "one time" courtesy support for this unit.  I got a little irritated at this and asked why a one-time support for a brand new router that I have only had for 3 weeks.  That's when she started saying that my unit was older than 15 months and beyond what they considered a "reasonable" time between manufacture and purchase.  That's when I got mad and told her that it wasn't my fault that I was sold a new (yet old) router.  No matter what they should be honoring their warranty. 

In the end, support wasn't all that helpful in solving my issue.  I had much better luck on the community forum and about an hour of researching.  I was able on Sunday to get my firmware updated to the current one, but here's my big question:

How concerned should I be about the age of this "new" router?  I am still within my return window.  Should I be sending this back and how would I ensure that I get a model that is actually within this 15 month window they speak of?  Any thoughts?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: RBK50 - Sold a new in box "old" system

I'm a user and not a Netgear rep.  All my statements are my opinions and not Netgear's.

Firstly, Netgear should provide you with the 12 month warranty regardless of the date of manufacture of the device, provided you have purchased this from an authorized dealer.

However, it is easy to buy stuff from 3rd party vendors when shopping on Amazon.  Maybe a 3rd party seller sold you a returned or grey-market merch.  I almost fell for this when I was looking for my Orbi in November.  A reseller was selling returned products on Walmart web site at very attractive prices.  I googled the reseller name and saw horror stories from other victims.

Verify that the actual seller was either Amazon itself, or an authorized Netgear dealer.  At the worst case, contact Amazon, return this to Amazon and have them send/sell you a new unit.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would check your using account page here and enter the serial number in and see if it's got a warranty status. If not or something doesn't work or it shows belonging to someone else or warranty expired, i'd return it. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

I'm a user and not a Netgear rep.  All my statements are my opinions and not Netgear's.

Firstly, Netgear should provide you with the 12 month warranty regardless of the date of manufacture of the device, provided you have purchased this from an authorized dealer.

However, it is easy to buy stuff from 3rd party vendors when shopping on Amazon.  Maybe a 3rd party seller sold you a returned or grey-market merch.  I almost fell for this when I was looking for my Orbi in November.  A reseller was selling returned products on Walmart web site at very attractive prices.  I googled the reseller name and saw horror stories from other victims.

Verify that the actual seller was either Amazon itself, or an authorized Netgear dealer.  At the worst case, contact Amazon, return this to Amazon and have them send/sell you a new unit.

Message 3 of 12
choover6
Aspirant

@alokeprasad  & @FURRYe38 Thanks for responding.  I think you may be right about the 3rd party seller.  Everything "appeared" brand new when I opened up the box, but one never really knows for sure I guess.  My wife is pretty much pushing for me to send it back and have them give us a newer one, so I should probably listen to her and do that.  At least I know how to fix the firmware update issue now Smiley Happy... I just hope I'm not exchanging a working system for one that's going to give me problems.  But, I guess if it has problems in the first 12 months I should be ok.  Maybe.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 12
choover6
Aspirant

It has a warranty status, so that part is ok.  I think it concerns me that support was giving me a not-so-happy vibe about things.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Also you may have a NEW system that was sitting on the shelf since 2017/18 time frame in which nobody bought the box so even though it was mfrd in that time frame, new warranty still counts from NG on it so NG will fofill the warranty on it. 

Message 6 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@choover6 wrote:

Turns out my system was manufactured in 2018 (or 2017 - can't remember now). 

How concerned should I be about the age of this "new" router?  I am still within my return window.  Should I be sending this back and how would I ensure that I get a model that is actually within this 15 month window they speak of?  Any thoughts?

If manufactured in 2017 or 2018 is a cause for concern, how about those of us who have Orbi's manufactured in 2016? (and still working).

But.... "Listen to the Wife".  If you fail to return it to Amazon now and anything goes wrong in the next 12 months, what kind of emotional support will you get in dealing with the "problem YOU caused by not returning it."

p.s. There is no way to ensure that Amazon will send you a "new one", but it seems unlikely that this will happen twice.

Message 7 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

And verify that the seller is Amazon.

Message 8 of 12
choover6
Aspirant

These are all very good points.  I can totally see both sides of this and I don't think it's an easy solution.  I've gotten advice to either send it back or keep it from several people I've asked.  Since I figured out how to get it updated it's back to being amazing again and for that reason alone I would keep it...but @CrimpOn has nailed the crux of the issue.  If I don't listen to my wife and something goes wrong with the thing (especially after the warranty is up) I will never hear the end of it.  If I listen to her and we get a different one and that one turns out to be a lemon she'll be irritated but at least I won't have to hear any "I told you so's." 

Oh, I had another related question.  They are still currently manufacturing these aren't they?  And have they or have they not been using the exact same hardware inside the whole time?

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

There was a small memory change to Orbi 50 series that I believe caused a Orbi RBK50v2 to be deployed. Small memory sized was implemented on v2. Otherwise the chipset and other wifi HW and such is the same. Same wifi ratings and support. Uses same FW versions as v1. 

Message 10 of 12
choover6
Aspirant

I'm afraid that this 3rd party seller has just nailed the case shut for me.  He sent me a copy of a Wal-Mart receipt from October with two RBK-50's on it and told me to upload that as my receipt, saying not to tell NG that I bought it from Amazon because they only warrant the original purchaser.  He advised me to make up something like my cousin bought two and gave me one.  I'm not going to take chances with my warranty from some random guy who decided to sell a couple Orbi's on Amazon for a really good profit.  Uh-uh.  I will get a refund or better take it to Amazon and have Amazon send me a replacement.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, thats not good. Ya, send it back and hopefully you can find something new. 

You might check ATT phone stores. I noticed there was two RBK50s new in box at my local ATT store last year when I go my 12 Max pro. I was surprised to see those being sold there. Something to check out and see. 

Hope you find someting good and new. 

Good Luck.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7