Reply
Highlighted

RBK50 - Speed Issues with ROGERS internet - under 20mbps on wifi

Having enormous trouble with my wifi speed on my Orbi mesh RBK50 and satellite.  In the advanced settings I clock near 65mb download.  If I check direct with speedcheck in a browser it registers around 15-20mb.  If I check through my ROGERS modem directly on 5G I get over 95mb (but limited coverage in house)..

 

So, same computer, same location, 3 different speeds!  How can I get this setup correctly?  I struggle with many days registering in the teens or lower.  Please help...

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Guru

Re: RBK50 - Speed Issues with ROGERS internet - under 20mbps on wifi

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop


Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What are wired speed directly connect to the Orbi router? 


What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

 

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50-Backhaul-Status-Poor-After-Firmware-Update-2-1-4-16/m-p/...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/quot-Reverse-quot-Daisy-Chain-issue-any-update/m-p/1653439
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Slow-Wired-WAN-after-2-2-1-210-Upgrade/m-p/1667058/...


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.16.6(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 2 of 8
Master

Re: RBK50 - Speed Issues with ROGERS internet - under 20mbps on wifi


@Canadian_Sports wrote:

.......  If I check through my ROGERS modem directly on 5G I get over 95mb (but limited coverage in house)..

....


I think the issue is that your ROGERS modem is also a router and also with wifi enabled -as you describe it!!

- If you want to keep the ROGERS router in router mode then you need to switch Orbi to AP mode.

- If you want to keep the wifi on the ROGERS router then you need to use different channels in the ROGERS router than than used in Orbi.

- If you use the same SSID in the ROGERS router as what in Orbi then you should expect drops in wifi when moving between the coverage areas of Orbi and the ROGERS router as roaming most likely will not work smoothly between them.

Good luck.. Smiley Happy

My Setup Internet Fiber ONT 250↓/250↑ISP Telenor | Wifi Router Orbi RBK50 AC3000, Router Mode, Wired Backhaul / Orbi RBK852 AX6000, Router Mode, Wireless Backhaul | Switches Netgear GS208Time Zone CET (Sweden)

Message 3 of 8
Highlighted

Re: RBK50 - Speed Issues with ROGERS internet - under 20mbps on wifi

Hi again. So some of the above is advanced for me. Here is what I have;
ROGERS modem. Upstairs West corner of house. Set on different SSID. Set on Chanel 6. It provides coverage upstairs.
ORBI base unit. Basement. Hardwire LAN cable from ROGERS unit. Running different SSID. Set on Chanel 1. One hardwire LAN running to Xbox. Main unit provides solid coverage in basement and main floor West side of house.
Satellite is on Far East side of house and provides a wired connection to TV and signal for kitchen/family room.
The ROGERS unit can’t cover the house and neither can the ORBI. But the speed on the ORBI are awful. In the 16-20Mbs range when using Speedtest on a wifi connected device. The ORBI app shows à strong(ish) 60Mbs internet speed into the hub.
There must be some configuration error I have....sorry for being a bit slow on the more technical stuff.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Guru

Re: RBK50 - Speed Issues with ROGERS internet - under 20mbps on wifi

It would be best to disable the wifi on the Rogers router and use only the Orbi wifi. Having more wifi in the near by surrounding to compete with Orbi wifi can cause problems and is not recommended. 

 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?


@Canadian_Sports wrote:
Hi again. So some of the above is advanced for me. Here is what I have;
ROGERS modem. Upstairs West corner of house. Set on different SSID. Set on Chanel 6. It provides coverage upstairs.
ORBI base unit. Basement. Hardwire LAN cable from ROGERS unit. Running different SSID. Set on Chanel 1. One hardwire LAN running to Xbox. Main unit provides solid coverage in basement and main floor West side of house.
Satellite is on Far East side of house and provides a wired connection to TV and signal for kitchen/family room.
The ROGERS unit can’t cover the house and neither can the ORBI. But the speed on the ORBI are awful. In the 16-20Mbs range when using Speedtest on a wifi connected device. The ORBI app shows à strong(ish) 60Mbs internet speed into the hub.
There must be some configuration error I have....sorry for being a bit slow on the more technical stuff.

 

 

 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.16.6(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Master

Re: RBK50 - Speed Issues with ROGERS internet - under 20mbps on wifi


@Canadian_Sports wrote:
Hi again. So some of the above is advanced for me. Here is what I have;
ROGERS modem. Upstairs West corner of house. Set on different SSID. Set on Chanel 6. It provides coverage upstairs.
ORBI base unit. Basement. Hardwire LAN cable from ROGERS unit. Running different SSID. Set on Chanel 1. One hardwire LAN running to Xbox. Main unit provides solid coverage in basement and main floor West side of house.
Satellite is on Far East side of house and provides a wired connection to TV and signal for kitchen/family room.
The ROGERS unit can’t cover the house and neither can the ORBI. But the speed on the ORBI are awful. In the 16-20Mbs range when using Speedtest on a wifi connected device. The ORBI app shows à strong(ish) 60Mbs internet speed into the hub.
There must be some configuration error I have....sorry for being a bit slow on the more technical stuff.

I think that you need to eliminate one of the routers. If it's not possible to change anything in the ROGERS router then please set Orbi in AP mode. You can find this setting here:

Namnlöst.png

My Setup Internet Fiber ONT 250↓/250↑ISP Telenor | Wifi Router Orbi RBK50 AC3000, Router Mode, Wired Backhaul / Orbi RBK852 AX6000, Router Mode, Wireless Backhaul | Switches Netgear GS208Time Zone CET (Sweden)

Message 6 of 8
Highlighted

Re: RBK50 - Speed Issues with ROGERS internet - under 20mbps on wifi

Good morning,
Have now tried the AP mode. If I switch off the ROGERS wifi then the signal is so weak upstairs that devices seem to flip between 2.5/5Ghz and TV can’t get a strong signal for Netflix. I ran Speedtest in multiple parts of the house and despite the orbi router showing an internet speed of 55mb the device speed still sits under 20mbs.
There are perhaps a dozen neighbors with wifi I can see. House is approx 1200sq feet per level, 3 levels. Orbi router is hardwired into ROGeRs modem. Orbi satellite sits approx 35’ straight line distance from router.
Ready to post the units on kijiji
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Guru

Re: RBK50 - Speed Issues with ROGERS internet - under 20mbps on wifi

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try setting the power output of the radios from 100% to 75 or 50%. Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless. 

What devices are you using to speed test with? 

Speed test with a wired PC connected to the base router. 


@Canadian_Sports wrote:
Good morning,
Have now tried the AP mode. If I switch off the ROGERS wifi then the signal is so weak upstairs that devices seem to flip between 2.5/5Ghz and TV can’t get a strong signal for Netflix. I ran Speedtest in multiple parts of the house and despite the orbi router showing an internet speed of 55mb the device speed still sits under 20mbs.
There are perhaps a dozen neighbors with wifi I can see. House is approx 1200sq feet per level, 3 levels. Orbi router is hardwired into ROGeRs modem. Orbi satellite sits approx 35’ straight line distance from router.
Ready to post the units on kijiji

 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.16.6(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1611 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements