Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 Speeds are lacking, need help please.

ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

RBK50 Speeds are lacking, need help please.

Hey all I have a Netgear CM1000 modem, and I'm connected via an Orbi RBK50 system.

I'm paying for 600mbps for my ISP, but with my Orbi system I'm only getting 350mbs max right in front of the router. In my room where the 1 satellite is located I'm lucky to get 150mbps.

Before I used a NightHawk X4S R7800 and I loved it but since I moved into this apartment I was forced to go Orbi because I got no coverage in my room for some odd reason. 

I'm happy I'm getting coverage atleast but can anything be done about this speed? Many thanks!

My router settings are

https://imgur.com/Icnz0qx

https://imgur.com/oXD879v

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: RBK50 Speeds are lacking, need help please.

Its nice to show wireless speeds but to many things influence wireless speeds such as interference, the device testing on, home environement, size of home, etc. 

What wired speeds are you getting connected to the orbi?

What speeds are you getting connected to the modem?

Message 2 of 14
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

Hi thank you for responding. I went ahead and checked them and I'm receiving 140mbps connected to modem and router right now for some reason. I called Xfinity and they're saying everything looks good from their end so I"m going to get them to send a technician out to double check everything. Very odd. Even if this is the case I was getting faster speeds then this yesterday.

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

If you log into your modem, take a screen snip of your  modem connections page and your log and post it here.

Also, if you have any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators in line, remove them. 

preferably, directly connect the modem to where the coax enters the home.

If that's not possible, inspect your cable for damage, kinks, extended run, loose connectors, bad/cheap connectors, moisture in the line. 

Message 4 of 14
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

I have the modem connected directly from the coax cable. I will post the settings tomorrow along with the techinicians response. I was testing the wired connection on an old laptop not sure if that made a difference or not. Right now on my mobile device in front of the main Orbi router i picked up 445mbps... hopefully the technician finds something tomorrow.

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

445mbps is about what you'd expect out of the wireless. 

I'd try a different hardwired device directly connected. That's the key testing. 

Message 6 of 14
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

If you log into your modem, take a screen snip of your  modem connections page and your log and post it here.

Also, if you have any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators in line, remove them. 

preferably, directly connect the modem to where the coax enters the home.

If that's not possible, inspect your cable for damage, kinks, extended run, loose connectors, bad/cheap connectors, moisture in the line. 

Ok from the modem hard wired to my desktop I'm getting 697mbps down 23mbps up... with the Orbi Wifi about 10 ft from the orbi my Computer is getting 105mbps on my computer. My mobile same range gets 260mbps. 

Message 7 of 14
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

Message 8 of 14
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

Message 9 of 14
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

Here's the 2 connection screen shots and the log screenshot. Some is missing let me know if you need anything else. As far as the splitters are concerned unfortunately I couldn't get to the other room because I can't get access to it so not sure but the technician says everything looks good on his end. There's not splitters or anything on any of the wires I can see. Also from what I posted above you can see hardwired I'm getting almost 700mbps (more than what I'm paying for) so the problem seems to lie with the Orbi. 

This is the second Orbi unit I go through also and I'm having the same issue. Should I return it for a RAX80? Not sure what to do here.

Message 10 of 14
plemans
Guru

i think you're getting things a little confused. 

From what you've put, you get full speed when both wired to the modem and when wired to the orbi. Actually getting over what you're provisioned. Is this correct?

You're wireless is variable. Some devices getting 100mbps and some getting 400+mbps from what you've wrote prior. this is probably going to be how it is. orbi dynamically moved devices between 2.4ghz and 5ghz as well as each device has its own wireless specs. If you're testing on a phone that only uses a 1x1 antenna, its going to be slower than a laptop/phone that uses a 2x2 anteanna. As well as if the device happens to be connected to 2.4ghz radio when you're speed testing, its going to be significantly slower than when its connected to 5ghz. This is the very nature of how bandsteering works. As devices repeatedly need more bandwidth, the orbi learns to place them on the 5ghz band if they're close enough. A test or 2 isn't going to get them to connect to 5ghz in my understanding. 

You also have to take into account home environment. If the 2.4ghz is more congested, its going to be even slower than if you lived in the country. Or if your home has walls with plaster lathe, foil lined insulation, brick, concrete, etc. 

Another thing to keep in mind. Orbi isn't goign to be faster than a R7800. A flagship router is going to be faster than orbi but orbi is going to be more consistant and have better coverage because of its satellites with wired/wireless backhaul. 

Message 11 of 14
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

Ok great thank you. So do you think I should just go with the RAX80 or 120? I think those have much better coverage especially the RAX120 with 8 amplified antennas no?
Message 12 of 14
plemans
Guru

If you're home didn't get full coverage running an R7800, your probably not going to by going with the RAX devices. 

If you've got dead spots, slow speeds in certain areas, a larger home, the orbi setup is going to provided better overall coverage in comparission to a single router solution. Its just not going to have the same max speed. 

most aren't going to know the difference as streaming 4k or videos isn't going to max out your wireless with orbi. If you're doing massive data backup or transferring a lot of data, then you might know a difference. But you should be doing that over a wired connection anyway. 

Message 13 of 14
ZeusyZeus
Aspirant

Ok thank you. I guess I’ll stick it out with this Orbi. I was really hoping for faster speeds from it. Atleast the connections are reliable for the most part. Appreciate all the help!
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7