Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 V2.7.3.22 internet dropping

Eric90i
Star

RBK50 V2.7.3.22 internet dropping

I’ve been experiencing random internet drop out where the orbi’s do not have an internet connection, but the WiFi shows as still connected. The ring lights don’t appear to respond the the error either. I power cycle router and satellite to get them working again. It has happened 3 times over the past 4 weeks or so. Anyone have thoughts on what to try to resolve this?

Leaning towards the classic Furry factory reset as my first option. I have survived multiple firmware updates with no apparent issues though previously (no need to factory reset).
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Does the top ring LED turn on PINK when the internet drops? 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 14
Eric90i
Star

It is the Pace 5268AC. Have not seen the pink ring light when I have seen this happen.

I did the 1 minute power off of the modem and orbi’s after reading your response. Have not noticed a drop so far, but it was not a very frequent issue, so I guess I will see how it goes for now.
Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 4 of 14
Eric90i
Star

Yep, all of this has been done already. I’m doing this by way of dmz. This setup with these devices has been running this way for years now.
Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Wifi is fully disabled on the ISP modem?

Does the top ring light up on the RBR when this happens? Color seen here? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 6 of 14
Eric90i
Star

Yes fully disabled.

I have not seen a color shown from the times I have noticed the dropout.

The orbis are on the same floor approximately 36 feet away from each other.

WiFi neighbors are nearby. When I run a scan with acrylic WiFi home I pick up 3-4 typically
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are they using?

Later on, Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz. Use ones that your nieghbors aren't using. 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 8 of 14
Eric90i
Star

Okay I will try this. The channels used are all over typically because I think everyone is on auto so they change. I have it currently at auto for 2.4 and 36 for 5.

The issue that just happened just now was
Two consecutive cycles of quick white flash on rbr then slow white pulse satellite showing solid magenta

Connection for WiFi and internet was available for a minute in between the random “reboot” cycles.

Currently things are back to “normal”
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible loss in ISP services thru the modem to the RBR which the RBR is detecting. 

Message 10 of 14
Eric90i
Star

TVs we’re still working and it all comes via fiber so I’d imagine that tv signal would not be there if the internet was dropping. Thoughts?
Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset. 

Internet comes on a different signal than TV signals. 

Message 12 of 14
Eric90i
Star

Ah good to know. Yeah I’ll plan to do the factory reset now.

Do you happen to know what the differences are between the tv and internet signals when coming from a fiber line via fiber to the home (bandwidth, how they are split etc.)?
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

All done on the ONT. 

Hopefully reset will result in something better.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7