Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 WOL wake on LAN internet

Yong2019
Aspirant

RBK50 WOL wake on LAN internet

I have a NAS with RBK50. I have sentup DDNS and port forward. I can wake up my NAS in the LAN, but can not wake it up through Internet, when I am outside .

Thanks,

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 WOL wake on LAN internet

Please post about this over in the main Orbi forum for your model Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Thank you. 

@Yong2019 wrote:

I have a NAS with RBK50. I have sentup DDNS and port forward. I can wake up my NAS in the LAN, but can not wake it up through Internet, when I am outside .

Thanks,

Message 2 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@Yong2019 wrote:

Could you pleases explain the need to "wake up" a NAS?  (I am so unsophisticated that I have been assuming that a NAS is an appliance that "stays on all the time" waiting to do something.)

What port did you forward to the NAS?

DDNS and Port forwarding work when there is not another router in front of the Orbi.  i.e. the Orbi WAN interface has a public IP address.  This is the case with your Orbi, correct?

Another option is to set up VPN (which also requires DDNS).  I do all sorts of things to devices on my LAN by VPNing (is that a verb?) into the Orbi.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Most NAS have power management features which would mostly negate any need of WoL for NAS. Most NAS spin up from there sleep modes if those are enabled upon any network access from a device. I wouldn't see a need for WoL for NAS. Mine certainly don't. 

Message 4 of 11

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I wouldn't see a need for WoL for NAS.

You can save energy. Every kWh counts when you worry about the climate, not to mention power bills.

I have NAS boxes for backups that turn off at the end of the day and then WOL when the PCs they are to backup turn themselves on.

The fact that many NAS devices implement WOL suggests that @Yong2019 and I are not the only fruitcakes on the planet.

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

It's good to see that there are reasons why a NAS could be set to Wake on LAN.  I interested to know a reason for wanting to manually "Wake Up" a NAS from the Internet, and how the Orbi can be set up to accomplish that.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Gottcha. Then that makes sence. 

Message 7 of 11

@CrimpOn wrote:

I interested to know a reason for wanting to manually "Wake Up" a NAS from the Internet, and how the Orbi can be set up to accomplish that.

I too would be interested in that one. My response was addressing the general issue.

Message 8 of 11
Yong2019
Aspirant

Thank you, CrimpOn

I tried several ports for WoL, such as 5555,4321,6553. None of them works.

I do have public IP, since I can access my NAS from the internet. 

I am not sure the port forward for WoL is working.  

Some google said there is something different with netgear routers, maybe need to modify subnet, but I don't know the reason.

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

When I Googled for Wake on LAN, the results say that UDP ports 7 and 9 are the most common.

Message 10 of 11
Yong2019
Aspirant

With other routers, I can use 4321 and other ports to Wake up my NAS or my PC.

https://www.xuebuyuan.com/1392330.html

Subnet based Broadcasting

• You may need to run the program more than once since the protocol used
    here is UDP, not designed for guaranteed packet delivery.

My Router Does Not Support "sub net based broadcast" So?

Use an 'always on machine' in your LAN. Configure your router to
forward "Magic Packet" to only 'always on machine'. As soon as 'Always
on machine' receives the magic packet from the router, it broadcasts it
in LAN and the target machine will wake up since magic packet contains
MAC address of your PC which is in shutdown state.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7