Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50: When do we get the product we expected to buy?

ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

RBK50: When do we get the product we expected to buy?

I have a RBK50 and like many others I come to the conclusion that this product has nowhere lived up to the promise. I have the following issues:

- RBS50 satellite wired connected to the RBK50 router not working reliable via an ethernet backhaul. The satellite is located at the upper floor of my house close to my daughters and it turns out that they go onto their 4G subscription a lot as the WiFi is not working (also with the latest released software of March 23th!). They have given up on letting me know that WiFi is not working as well;

- When I update the firmware or reboot the Orbi system I most of the times get connection issues with wired devices like my ReadyNAS devices and IP camera. Apparently the Orbi system is overloading the wired network with a reboot. This makes you careful performing a reboot (should not be necessary of course) as a reboot will make sure I receive about 20+ e-mails from my NAS-es and the IP camera and at the same time the internet is very slow on all computers (also wired);

-Guest network via a separate network via a VLAN is not possible. The current implementation is not what the industry standard is and how it should have been done,

I can't understand why this is taking so long to resolve. Over the years I have replaced most of my equipment by Netgear equipment as I experienced that Netgear equipment just works. This Orbi set nevertheless is a different beast and is eating the confidence away I had on the brand Netgear. My advice to Netgear: if you have not resolved the issues by now and don't have a clue what it is: remove the product from the market and refund people who have one and make sure you only release products that actually work in the future. This is very bad for your brand name! Just my two cents in the discussions everywhere!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Re: RBK50: When do we get the product we expected to buy?

Here, here, and a big +1 to all that you've said.  The Orbi is truely representative of a product which has gone wrong.  It absolutley does not perform as advertised or expected, and it requires constant management.  Netgear basically ignores the truth.  I have owned manay Netgear products, some of which have been very good.  Sadly the Orbi system is not one of them.  If refunds ever do become available, I want one.  I won't hold my breath for that though. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello ronaldvr2132

What firmware version are you running?

DarrenM

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe he stated that in his OP. He's using a older version of FW and he should try the v2.1.3.4 version of the FW that available for his model Orbi.

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello ronaldvr2132

What firmware version are you running?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

shouldn't the FWs match??

Message 5 of 7
rdawsoniii
Star

ronald, I wholeheartedly agree!

I've had an Orbi RBK40 for 10 days.  Nothing but problems.  Disconnects almost every hour.  Multiple factory resets, power cycling, turning router/satellite off/on, and syncing....no improvement.  Updated firmware...no improvement.

I am still in my Amazon return window.  I've got 2 more things I will try tonight.  If those don't work, then the Orbi goes back tomorrow.  I cannot believe how difficult it is to get this thing working properly.  I bought the Orbi because of the dedicated backhaul channel.  If I have to send this back, I am going to get my original first choice, the Google.

Message 6 of 7
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Hi DarrenM I am running firmware V2.1.3.4 both on the satellite and the router. The router is running in AP mode and the satellite is connected via wired connection to the router. I am very unhappy with the Orbi system and have given up on spending more time on it. I do hope it will be delivering what it should deliver any time soon though, but don’t expect a lot of testing/troubleshooting from me as I have done way too much already on the Orbi system and more or less refuse to spend more serious time on it.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7