Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 access point with R8500

rinku2012
Tutor

RBK50 access point with R8500

Hello,

Recently i bought RBK53 and returned it due to disconnection issues.

Presently i am staying on 3 floor town home. I have R8500 router in my 2nd floor and i get decent internet everywhere in my house.

I have 2 options as mentioned below

1. Buy another R8500 Router and place it on 3rd floor in one of mybedroom which has Lan connection and make the R8500 Access point

2. Buy RBK50 and place it on 1st floor and 3rd floor, connect it via Lan and make it into Access point and use Ethernet Backhaul.

Can you guys suggest me any option so that i can purchase the router

Thanks

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 access point with R8500

Either one would work. If you used the Orbi in AP mode, you would disable the R8500s wifi radios. 

@rinku2012wrote:

Hello,

Recently i bought RBK53 and returned it due to disconnection issues.

Presently i am staying on 3 floor town home. I have R8500 router in my 2nd floor and i get decent internet everywhere in my house.

I have 2 options as mentioned below

1. Buy another R8500 Router and place it on 3rd floor in one of mybedroom which has Lan connection and make the R8500 Access point

2. Buy RBK50 and place it on 1st floor and 3rd floor, connect it via Lan and make it into Access point and use Ethernet Backhaul.

Can you guys suggest me any option so that i can purchase the router

Thanks

Message 2 of 8
rinku2012
Tutor

what if i buy another R8500 router and use it in AP, should i still disbale wifi radios in my main router ?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

No

@rinku2012wrote:

what if i buy another R8500 router and use it in AP, should i still disbale wifi radios in my main router ?

, you can leave it's wireless radios going while you have the 2ndary AP going as well. Just need to make sure that the first routers wifi is set for channel 11 on 2.4Ghz and say 48 on 5ghz, then set the 2ndary AP for channel 1 on 2.4Ghz and 149 on 5ghz. Channel separation is needed between these two wireless sources. 

Message 4 of 8
rinku2012
Tutor

Thanks. Which one do u suggest me. R8500 or Orbi RK50 ?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Either one. If your 8500 is working well, you could go with another. You can try the Orbi in AP mode. It's a Mesh system. The 8500 would not be a MESH system. 

Message 6 of 8
Laudz
Aspirant

I live in a very solid double brick two story home with a concrete slab seperating first and second floors.

I run an R8000 as the main router with wifi enabled downstairs. It is connected to a bridged CG3000v2 cable modem.

I run an RBR50 as an AP upstairs with a single RBS50 satelite. Using 2.0.1.4 firmware and everything works as it should.

There are many options, but you may need to experiment as to what works best for your building type.

Message 7 of 8
Laudz
Aspirant

Whilst I agree with the intent of Case850's point, I need a high quality mesh network with a single SSID on the level of the house that most people reside. Unfortunately, that is not the point where the cable comes into the house. So high quality router/wifi for source point, RBR50 as an AP for primary usage in the rest of the house.

There is no right or wrong option with Orbi, just lots of options on how to use it best (when it works !)

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7