Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 and Altice (Suddenlink)

TP067
Aspirant

RBK50 and Altice (Suddenlink)

I have read through many helpful posts in this community and know what I need to do, but can't... so my question is what happens...

My ISP (Suddenlink) replaced my old Arris modem with their all in one Altice modem/router (it apparently talks to the TV and does my DVR and phone).

Orbi is plugged into the port of the Altice... we started having continuous intermittent internet drops, so I have now learned that the two wifi routers are interferring with one another.

The fix is easy... turn the wifi off on the Altice and put Orbi into AP mode - too bad it's not that easy...

Suddenlink has locked us out of their modem/routers, so no way to turn off the wifi. If you can get someone on the phone that you can understand, they claim they cannot turn off the wifi.

So my question: what happens if wifi stays on the ISP router/modem and Orbi is in AP mode? Will I still have a mess? I've seen the recommendations to buy my own (was looking at a Netgear CM1100), but from all my reading I don't know if the TV will work without the Altice hunk of junk...

Appreciate any insight you can give me!

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello TP067,

The ISP WIFI does not have to be turned off for AP mode on the Orbi to work. 

Please try the solution and keep me updated with the progress on this issue!

Best,

Kevin 

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

What is the specific model number of the Altice device?

Do you have access to any settings on the Altice?

(can you set the channels? set power levels? assign the WiFi SSID?)

The tech support may be correct.  There is no method to 'turn off' WiFi on the Netgear Orbi products.

Message 2 of 9
TP067
Aspirant

There is no model number on it.

I have no access to it whatsoever - they have us completely locked out, cannot change the SSID or anything!

What I wonder is if I put the orbi in AP mode, without turning wifi off on the Altce, would that solve the problem?

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@TP067 wrote:

What I wonder is if I put the orbi in AP mode, without turning wifi off on the Altice, would that solve the problem?

I do not see how the Orbi 'mode' should have anything to do with this issue.

For certain, you want the Orbi WiFi SSID to be different from the Altice WiFi SSID and you want the WiFi channels to be different, especially the 2.4G channel.

Message 4 of 9
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello TP067,

I understand you are having issues with wireless internet connectivity with your Orbi router. Please consider putting the Orbi in AP mode. 

Follow the link below to configure Orbi router as an access point:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Please keep me updated on the progress on the situation.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 5 of 9
TP067
Aspirant

Thank you, Kevin!

This is what I want to do, but back to my original question... does the wifi have to be turned off on the ISP modem/router combo for Orbi to work in AP mode?

If not, then yes, this will solve my issue!

Message 6 of 9
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello TP067,

The ISP WIFI does not have to be turned off for AP mode on the Orbi to work. 

Please try the solution and keep me updated with the progress on this issue!

Best,

Kevin 

Community Team

Message 7 of 9
TP067
Aspirant

Orbi is now in AP mode... I will report back if the problem is solved (should know within a few hours)!

Thank you!!!

Message 8 of 9
TP067
Aspirant

It's been 48 hours or so since I put Orbi in AP mode... PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Thank you Kevin, very much appreciated!!!!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7