Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 and FIOS gigabit - recurring loss of internet connectivity

pobbard
Aspirant

RBK50 and FIOS gigabit - recurring loss of internet connectivity

Just over weeks ago, I installed an RBK50 in my home. Since then, my FIOS internet connection has acted unusually (for the very first time in 1.5 years, since we got FIOS), and I'm curious if the issue might be related to my Orbi setup.

I have FIOS gigabit internet-only via a FIOS-G1100 router. It sits in the corner of my basement, so I have a hardwire CAT 5e line running to my family room, where until 2 weeks ago I had a Linksys AP (running first as a bridge, later as a router, but in neither mode was coverage sufficient from our house) for the last 1.5 years. I also have one Windows PC hardwired to the FIOS router.

Now, I have the RBR50 hardwired in the same location that used to be where the Linksys AP was, and the satellite on the other side of the house, and my wifi is fantastic, with 5GHz available almost everywhere. Very nice.

However, 3x in the past two weeks, I've run into an issue where the FIOS router stops providing internet connectivity. Its connection light (the little globe) show that it's still online, but even the hardwired Windows PC (not connected via the Orbi) can't get to the internet. The fix is always the same: reboot the FIOS router, and everything works again.

Normally, I'd assume this was an issue with the FIOS router, but it had *never* done this, not once, in the 18 months we've owned it preceding the Orbi, when it was connected to the Linksys. So I'm wondering: could there be something about the way the Orbi is communicating with it that is causing it to lose the ability to route, or go offline? Any suggestions for things I might try?

(I have the Orbi setup in router mode, BTW, and the FIOS is also in router mode since I have a hardwired device. I could move it to AP Mode but would hate to give up the features (much nicer than FIOS's), but if that was the recommended approach, I could try it).

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
pobbard
Aspirant

Update on this issue:

I put the Orbi in AP mode, as recommended, a few weeks ago. The issue with my FIOS modem has not recurred since, so it seems likely that, for whatever reason, the double-NAT situation was causing the modem to choke.

Thanks again for all of the responses!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

so you know you're running a double nat situation and ok with that? Just checking. Not saying thats the problem since its worked fine for you but it definitely is an option.

You could try switching the orbi to AP mode and seeing if the problem resolves. Like you said, you'd lose the routing features of the Orbi but if you did it for a week or two and the errors with the fios didn't reoccur, then its related to the 2 devices in routing mode and you could figure out your best setup from there. Its pretty easy to switch into AP mode.

In my personal experience, if your Fios devices is losing internet and the devices connected to it are losing internet, I'd be looking at that device and not the orbi. Devices do go bad every so often. Might be coincidence and it might be conflict between the devices. Only real way to find out is experiement. 

Message 2 of 8
pobbard
Aspirant

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I knew I was double NAT'd, but it worked, and throughput was still excellent, so I wasn't worrying. Anyway, I took your advice and just switched over to AP Mode to see if the issue I'm seeing now continues. Hopefully this solves it - I'd hate to spend the $ on a new modem right after buying this nice new Orbi!

Message 3 of 8

It might be better to see if you can put whatever this unknown FIOS device into modem only (bridge) mode.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 5 of 8
pobbard
Aspirant

Update on this issue:

I put the Orbi in AP mode, as recommended, a few weeks ago. The issue with my FIOS modem has not recurred since, so it seems likely that, for whatever reason, the double-NAT situation was causing the modem to choke.

Thanks again for all of the responses!

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you have it working decent! ?Thanks for the update

Message 7 of 8

That's good news.

Nice to know that the standard trick worked.

Your report might save someone else hours of grief.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7