Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 causing my CM1000 to power cycle

MobyDev
Aspirant

RBK50 causing my CM1000 to power cycle

I have a Netgear CM1000 modem that’s been working fine connected to a Google WiFi system for over a year. I got the Orbi RBK50 system installed and it would cause my CM1000 to power cycle continuously. I hooked up my Google WiFi system back up and it’s working fine. Any suggestions?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Tjharris6
Guide

My solution was to move them about a foot apart and that seemed to work keeping the home phone connect from rebooting over again and again.this worked until I moved the satellite that room.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 13

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Continuously as in all the lights go off, it restarts by itself, and as soon as all the lights come on, it goes back off again?  over and over?  There is never a chance to connect to the internet?

Message 2 of 13
MobyDev
Aspirant

Kind of. The lights just all flash and then they turn off for a few seconds and sometimes the power light is the only light that comes on.
Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

and this happens constantly, over and over again?

Does the power light ever go "off"?

Message 4 of 13
MobyDev
Aspirant

Yes it does. I’m not sure if it’s a firmware issue or a hardware issue?
Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

We need someone smarter than I am.  I have never heard of a router being able to force the modem to turn off and on repeatedly.

Help?

Message 6 of 13
Tjharris6
Guide

My solution was to move them about a foot apart and that seemed to work keeping the home phone connect from rebooting over again and again.this worked until I moved the satellite that room.

Message 7 of 13
techmoby43
Aspirant

Excellent.  I got it packaged up to return tomorrow, but I think I will try this out before I do that . Thank you!

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

There should be at least 3 feet or more between the modem and any wifi router. They should never be in close proximity. 

@Tjharris6 wrote:

Message 9 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

"Never" is such an absolute.  My Orbi has been about one foot from two different modems for nearly three years and has never caused a problem.  I would think that modem manufacturers should expect customers might place these items close together for convenience and shield the modem to prevent interference.  "Good practice", absolutely.  "never" seems a bit much.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Just because it works doesn't mean it's not doing something. Maybe however it's been good advise and good operationla standards in history not to have wifi devices too close to each other. Can cause problems. Users choice though. 

Message 11 of 13
MobyDev
Aspirant

Good to know.  I'll give it one more try and see if it works.  My Google WiFi router was exactly where I placed the Orbi and I never had issues.  But I will see if I can put it into my network closet which is pretty much the middle of my house.  I'll post again with the outcome later on tonight.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Might swap LAN cables between the modem and RBR as well. Good quality CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7