Reply

RBK50 connecting to Vdsl2

Boatmancalls
Guide

RBK50 connecting to Vdsl2

I'm having a few issues with a recently installed RBK50 and how best to connect to the internet.  Currently I'm using an old Netgear Nighthawk D7000v2 as a router (with the Wi-Fi switched off) and connection to my vdsl line (Uk) with Vodafone as the ISP.  Are there better routers that would provide a more stable connection?  
I'm far from a networking expert but would appreciate any guidance/suggestions that might help.  
My download speeds are varying between 15Mbps to 73Mbps.

Message 1 of 11
vajim
Master

Re: RBK50 connecting to Vdsl2


@Boatmancalls wrote:

I'm having a few issues with a recently installed RBK50 and how best to connect to the internet.  Currently I'm using an old Netgear Nighthawk D7000v2 as a router (with the Wi-Fi switched off) and connection to my vdsl line (Uk) with Vodafone as the ISP.  Are there better routers that would provide a more stable connection?  
I'm far from a networking expert but would appreciate any guidance/suggestions that might help.  
My download speeds are varying between 15Mbps to 73Mbps.


IMHO...you aready have a 'better' router with the Orbi.   The idea of running 2 routers and then add a Vodafone (?) only complicates the matter.

 

What firmware is your orbi running?

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 connecting to Vdsl2

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

 

Try option #1 as you can bridge the D series modem into modem only mode...


@Boatmancalls wrote:

I'm having a few issues with a recently installed RBK50 and how best to connect to the internet.  Currently I'm using an old Netgear Nighthawk D7000v2 as a router (with the Wi-Fi switched off) and connection to my vdsl line (Uk) with Vodafone as the ISP.  Are there better routers that would provide a more stable connection?  
I'm far from a networking expert but would appreciate any guidance/suggestions that might help.  
My download speeds are varying between 15Mbps to 73Mbps.


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RAXE50 and R8500(v.158) Router Mode | Switches NG GS105/8 | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 3 of 11
vajim
Master

Re: RBK50 connecting to Vdsl2

Message 4 of 11
Boatmancalls
Guide

Re: RBK50 connecting to Vdsl2

Hi

i'm running version 2.7.2.104

I wondered if using both routers was the issue.  As I said I'm a novice here, and tried using the Nighthawk D7000v2 as a broadband modem only to feed into the Orbi, but couldn't get the internet to connect.  

Message 5 of 11
vajim
Master

Re: RBK50 connecting to Vdsl2


@Boatmancalls wrote:

Hi

i'm running version 2.7.2.104

I wondered if using both routers was the issue.  As I said I'm a novice here, and tried using the Nighthawk D7000v2 as a broadband modem only to feed into the Orbi, but couldn't get the internet to connect.  


Running 2 routers can be an issue if not configured correctly as stated by my friend FURRYe38.

 

The firmware you have also has reported problems which you may want to consider rolling back.  When did you notice your problems?

 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Message 6 of 11
Boatmancalls
Guide

Re: RBK50 connecting to Vdsl2

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I will try a few options tomorrow and let you know how I get on


@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

 

Try option #1 as you can bridge the D series modem into modem only mode...


@Boatmancalls wrote:

I'm having a few issues with a recently installed RBK50 and how best to connect to the internet.  Currently I'm using an old Netgear Nighthawk D7000v2 as a router (with the Wi-Fi switched off) and connection to my vdsl line (Uk) with Vodafone as the ISP.  Are there better routers that would provide a more stable connection?  
I'm far from a networking expert but would appreciate any guidance/suggestions that might help.  
My download speeds are varying between 15Mbps to 73Mbps.


 



😊

Message 7 of 11
Boatmancalls
Guide

Re: RBK50 connecting to Vdsl2

Part of the problem is I've changed so many things at the same time it's not easy to identify when the issues started.  We have a much bigger bandwidth pull now than ever before with 3 simultaneous Zooms and Netflix etc. I suspect adding to the load.   - and in all honestly am out of my depth in the IT stakes 😂

I think trying to set the Orbi to act as an AP is a great idea and shall look at the link.  
thanks again !

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 connecting to Vdsl2

If you change the modem to modem only mode, you may need your PPPoE user account information for the DSL to connect correctly to the RBR. Something your ISP can help with. This would be configured on the RBR. If you use the modem in router mode, then the RBR in AP mode, then you won't need the PPPOE account information on the RBR. 

 

 

Good Luck. 


@Boatmancalls wrote:

Part of the problem is I've changed so many things at the same time it's not easy to identify when the issues started.  We have a much bigger bandwidth pull now than ever before with 3 simultaneous Zooms and Netflix etc. I suspect adding to the load.   - and in all honestly am out of my depth in the IT stakes 😂

I think trying to set the Orbi to act as an AP is a great idea and shall look at the link.  
thanks again !


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RAXE50 and R8500(v.158) Router Mode | Switches NG GS105/8 | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 9 of 11
vajim
Master

Re: RBK50 connecting to Vdsl2


@FURRYe38 wrote:

If you change the modem to modem only mode, you may need your PPPoE user account information for the DSL to connect correctly to the RBR. Something your ISP can help with. This would be configured on the RBR. If you use the modem in router mode, then the RBR in AP mode, then you won't need the PPPOE account information on the RBR. 

 

don't forget to consider the firmware issue, you being the firmware guru and all.Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Boatmancalls
Guide

Re: RBK50 connecting to Vdsl2

Thanks for that /... any idea how you "roll back" the firmware 😂

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 482 views
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E