Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 dropping connection to fiber optic network

Kra_z_nic
Follower

RBK50 dropping connection to fiber optic network

I recently purchased an Orbi RBK50 system. I have fiber optic internet and my ISP said I did not need a modem, so I plugged the router directly into the port where my internet comes into the house, and set up the satellite as per the instructions. The connection between the two is good, no issues there. The problem is that the router keeps dropping internet service. Several times a day. At random. I tried contacting customer service for advice but after 40 minutes on hold, I gave up. It is a holiday weekend and I'm not sure anyone was available. When connected, the speed is faster than with my old router, but the old router at least has a stable connection, despite being slow. I've updated the firmware to V2.1.4.16. Please help me figure out what's causing this problem before I give up on Orbi and buy an Eero system.
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 dropping connection to fiber optic network

While connected to the ISP system, do a factory reset and walk thru the setup wizard. Be sure to write down important information for safe keeping later. Set up the router from scratch.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Ensure the ISP checks the signal level at the router and there Fiber ONT box if there is one some place.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7