Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 drops to 30Mbps every couple of hours, must reboot to fix

whynotme
Aspirant

RBK50 drops to 30Mbps every couple of hours, must reboot to fix

Just installed RBK50 Orbi Triband Mesh AC3000 system and after a few hours, the speeds drop to below 50 Mbps and the only thing I can do to fix is reboot.  I've now rebooted my system 5 times in 24 hours.  I'm running the latest firmware 2.5.1.8 and Netgear support had me set the MTU to 1492.  It was set at 1500.  Right after a reboot and for a few hours after I can get close to 600Mbps on my phone (Galaxy S10).  Then it drops back down below 50Mbps after 2-3 hours.  Anyone see this before and have a fix?  Not sure what's happening to make it suddenly lose speed like that.  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: RBK50 drops to 30Mbps every couple of hours, must reboot to fix

@whynotme wrote:

Just installed RBK50 Orbi Triband Mesh AC3000 system and after a few hours, the speeds drop to below 50 Mbps and the only thing I can do to fix is reboot.  I've now rebooted my system 5 times in 24 hours.  I'm running the latest firmware 2.5.1.8 and Netgear support had me set the MTU to 1492.  It was set at 1500.  Right after a reboot and for a few hours after I can get close to 600Mbps on my phone (Galaxy S10).  Then it drops back down below 50Mbps after 2-3 hours.  Anyone see this before and have a fix?  Not sure what's happening to make it suddenly lose speed like that.  Thanks in advance.

I'm going to bet the FW 2.5.1.8 is your problem.  When/how did you get it?

Message 2 of 7
whynotme
Aspirant

It updated automatically when I installed the system yesterday.  

@Retired_Member wrote:

@whynotme wrote:

I'm going to bet the FW 2.5.1.8 is your problem.  When/how did you get it?

Message 3 of 7
whynotme
Aspirant

I should add that I'm running a brand new CM1150V modem.

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've see discussions about your modem.

Just in case...https://www.netgear.com/support/product/CM1150V.aspx

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? I would do this if you haven't. 

Set the MTU value back to 1500, 1492 or less is for DSL ISP services. Cable services use 1500. 

@whynotme wrote:

Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? I would do this if you haven't. 

Set the MTU value back to 1500, 1492 or less is for DSL ISP services. Cable services use 1500. 

@whynotme wrote:

Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7