Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 -> Satellite RBS50 - Won't work and wont reset?

th3sp3ck
Guide

RBK50 -> Satellite RBS50 - Won't work and wont reset?

I have a RBK50 system I bought in April of 2018.  Earlier this week I started getting  certificate and authentication errors. With the help from this community (thank you!)  I was able to triage to figure out that it was only devices connected to the Satelitte (RBS50) giving me these errors and the base unit (RBR50) works just fine. If I unplug the satellite, anything connected to the base unit works just fine (assuming its in range).

Now for the life of me, I can not get the satelitte to reset to factory settings. I've tried numerous times in a dozen different ways.  I've unplugged, used the pin in the back, removed it from the network map, the app, sync button, etc. The satelitte just pulsates white and if it does reconnect to the router, I just get the same authentication/certificate errors when a devices connect to it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Its extremely disspointing that this expensive system that I previously loved and have recommended to others, is now giving me such fits. 

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

I've had the same problem on stubborn satellites. Most of the time the following brings it up. 

Turn off the satellite, press and hold the reset but, then power on holding the reset button in. When you see amber let go of the reset and see if the power light flashes red. If not do it again, but this time don't let up on the reset button, until you see red. 

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Once it's connected and synced. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@th3sp3ck wrote:

I have a RBK50 system I bought in April of 2018.  Earlier this week I started getting  certificate and authentication errors. With the help from this community (thank you!)  I was able to triage to figure out that it was only devices connected to the Satelitte (RBS50) giving me these errors and the base unit (RBR50) works just fine. If I unplug the satellite, anything connected to the base unit works just fine (assuming its in range).

Now for the life of me, I can not get the satelitte to reset to factory settings. I've tried numerous times in a dozen different ways.  I've unplugged, used the pin in the back, removed it from the network map, the app, sync button, etc. The satelitte just pulsates white and if it does reconnect to the router, I just get the same authentication/certificate errors when a devices connect to it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Its extremely disspointing that this expensive system that I previously loved and have recommended to others, is now giving me such fits. 

Message 3 of 9
th3sp3ck
Guide

I did the reset and got the red. I then followed the directions on the app to reconnect:

1. I pressed the sync button on the satellite and then both the router and satelitte pulsated white
  2. The satellite eventually lit up blue and at that point the app still said it wasnt connected
  3. The blue light then shut off and no light was showing on the satellite - per the Network Map on the app the satelitte was now connected.
  4. Once my phone connected to the satellite I got the errors again. "This connection is Not Private" error. I attached a screenshot. 

Thoughts???

GSW-1005MS > Orbi RBR50 

Firmware on Router: V2.5.1.16

Satelitte is currently 5 feet from Router. It had been working flawlessly for 12 months at 30 feet and a different floor of the house.

Message 4 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

The first question is, are the Orbi router and satellite connected and are you getting internet access? Is that the only website that shows that error? Have you tried accessing it with a PC browser, and if so does it show the same error? Usually an error like that comes from a virus protection software. That error wouldn't be coming from your Orbi. Could be an ISP issue. 

Message 5 of 9
th3sp3ck
Guide

Yes as far as I can tell they are connected. The Orbi app on my phone shows the Satellite on my network map and my phone connected to it.

If I try to navigate to other sites it will give me a login/authentication screen. If I cancel I get a 404 error. This happens with any wireless device connected to the satellite. Once I turn off the satelitte and my phone connects to the wireless router, everything works fine and as expected.

You think this could be from my ISP??

Message 6 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

Since satellites are easy to re-configure, I would do a factory reset on the satellite.

Message 7 of 9
th3sp3ck
Guide

I have done multiple factory resets on the satellite and the result is always the same.
Message 8 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

@th3sp3ck wrote:
I have done multiple factory resets on the satellite and the result is always the same.

Sometimes factory resets don't always fully reset. If you actually saw the red power light flash when you reset, you more than likely had a good reset. But I have seen many times the router or satellite light turns amber but goes to green before the red. This means failed reset. The work around is turn off satellite, hold reset button in, turn on satellite holding reset button, and wait for red light then let go. The top light will eventually blink white. then you are readt to reconnect. The problem you are descriping is a qwerky one, making no sense.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7