Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 how do I change my IP Address

TLane1957
Tutor

RBK50 how do I change my IP Address

My IP address on my router is 10.0.0.1 and I need to change it to a 198.168.0.1 IP address. How can I do this?

Thanks,

Tony

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 18
st_shaw
Master

Log into the router GUI at http://10.0.0.1 and change the LAN settings there to whatever LAN IP range you want to use. See Advanced, Setup, LAN Setup.  Note that you cannot use the same range that's assigned to Orbi's WAN port. You can find Orbi's WAN IP in the GUI also.

If your router is using 10.0.0.1 on its own, it usually means you are running Orbi behind another router and that other router assigned a private address, e.g. 192.168.1.X address to Orbi's WAN port.  In that case you would be double NAT'd and would likely be better off running Orbi in access point mode.

Message 2 of 18

@st_shaw wrote:

If your router is using 10.0.0.1 on its own, it usually means you are running Orbi behind another router and that other router assigned a private address, e.g. 192.168.1.X address to Orbi's WAN port. 

It might help to clarify this bit by telling us the make and model of the device in front to the Orbi router.

Message 3 of 18
TLane1957
Tutor

Thank you for the feedback. The device in front of my Orbi router is a Motorola cable modem.  The model number is MB8600. My internet provider is Xfinity but this is not their router.

Message 4 of 18

@TLane1957 wrote:

The device in front of my Orbi router is a Motorola cable modem.  The model number is MB8600.

That is a modem/router. Look at all those LAN ports on the back.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with two DHCP servers and that can create local address conflicts. Among other things, this can mean that trying to get at addresses like routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1, gets misdirected by the other router.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

Sometimes it is possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply customers with a modem/router that just won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the device to cooperate, but sometimes it is just easier to put the second router in AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The Motorola manual tells how how to use this with a router.

www.motorolacable.com/documents/MB8600-QuickStart.pdf

See the section If You Want To Connect a Router.

Life would probably be easier if you did that.

Message 5 of 18
st_shaw
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

@TLane1957 wrote:

The device in front of my Orbi router is a Motorola cable modem.  The model number is MB8600.

That is a modem/router. Look at all those LAN ports on the back.

If your statement is based solely on how the device looks, then you should double check that.  I read a review of the MB8600 earlier today and the review stated the device was a modem only, and that the multiple LAN ports were there only for future support of bonded connections > 1 GBps.

Message 6 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Motorola supports this modem as a modem only. There current support site shows just the WAN port, however the yellow is covering additional ports which maybe for future needs or ISP that support thhis model modem/router combo:

https://motorolanetwork.com/mb8600.html

The Orbi is using a 10.0.0.1 on the LAN side, so this means that the orbi probably detected a /modem/router using 192.168.1.1 on the WAN port and changed to 10.0.0.#. You can still change from 10 to 192.168.0.1 since this doesn't conflict with what the Orbi is dectecting from the router in front of the Orbi. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options for future reference,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@TLane1957 wrote:

My IP address on my router is 10.0.0.1 and I need to change it to a 198.168.0.1 IP address. How can I do this?

Thanks,

Tony

Message 7 of 18

It wasn't just the LAN ports. I try to pin down these things by checking manuals. Sadly, this doesn't always work. Google can lead you astray. Yesterday, I had some difficulty trying to work out what a Huawei box was all about.

I did link to the manual I found. If they have instructions for "routering" it suggests that they think it necessary and it makes sense to follow them.

Did you look at that?

But a different search for the same thing found something with a single LAN port.

Message 8 of 18
st_shaw
Master

I dug a bit more and am now confident the multiple LAN ports are for bonded connections.  The Quick Reference Guide is below, describes removing the yellow tape in the unlikely event you are using a bonded connection, and reads, "This product does not include a router...."

https://assets.ctfassets.net/0dyo76hkwr49/5IFchJqd2g26YsoagOq8E0/6262be4ce4e8d6d853dbc8c6b11ca2e2/27...

The OP should simply adjust his LAN IP range as I described in my first post.

Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if the suggestion helps. 

@TLane1957 wrote:

Thanks,

Tony

Message 10 of 18

There is no harm in checking that they followed the "use it with a router" advice.

"This product does not include a router...."

Strange. I searched the manual for "router". It found nothing.

Aha. The manual is not "PDF searchable"! Very helpful. It works when you process the PDF.

What would have caused the RBK50 to opt for 10.0.0.1?

Maybe the start-up regime confused the router. The manual tells you how to get that right.

Message 11 of 18
st_shaw
Master

Not sure about this modem, but some cable modems have a built-in DHCP server that serves out 192.168.x.x addresses until the ISP connection is established.  It's there so the cable technician can log into the modem for initial setup.  This has caused issues for some Orbi users who use 192.168 LANs, used hard coded IPs, and have an intermittent cable connection.  Their Orbi will switch to 10.0.0.X and nothing works.

Message 12 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Most cable modems use 192.168.100.1 which shouldn't interfere with NG default IP range. 

Message 13 of 18
TLane1957
Tutor

I certainly appreciate everyone's efforts. Unfortunately, I'm not at all tech savvy and none of this makes sense to me.  I need step by step instructions for the Motorola modem and/or the Orbi router please. I'm sorry to be a pain in the rear. Thank you everyone for your help!

Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

I would first verify that your Orbi is gettng a public IP address on it's Internet port. Log into the routers web page and look at the Internet status on the Advance tab/Internet Setup. 

You should see a ##.##.###.### something address here. If you see a 192.168.1.# thats ok too. 

You can change the Orbi routers IP address under Advanced Tab/LAN Setup. Navigate here and change the 10 ip address to 192.168.0.1. 

This should auto change the DHCP IP address pool to .0.2 thru .0.254. I would change the pool size to .100 to .200. 

@TLane1957 wrote:

I certainly appreciate everyone's efforts. Unfortunately, I'm not at all tech savvy and none of this makes sense to me.  I need step by step instructions for the Motorola modem and/or the Orbi router please. I'm sorry to be a pain in the rear. Thank you everyone for your help!

Message 15 of 18

My first move would be to try to avoid faffing around with IP addresses and try to get the thing to do it right in the first place.

Reset both devices and start the network from scratch.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Just one question that I don't recall seeing asked before. Why do you want 198.168.0.1?

That IP address is usually reserved for modem/routers. Netgear routers prefer 198.168.1.1

What are you trying to do with 198.168.0.1.

As in many of these things, it is usually better to start with what the user is trying to achieve, rather than to provide solutions that have more to do with interpretations of how these things work. Much better to start with fixing what they want to do.

Message 16 of 18
TLane1957
Tutor

I'll try to explain the best I can. I have a professional golf device called SkyTrak that I use for training. The device is known as a launch monitor. It measures and records data when you strike a golf ball such as flight path, distance, ball speed, club head speed, apex, ball spin, etc. The launch monitor sits on the ground next to the ball and connects to a mobile device, in my case an iPad Pro and a Galaxy Tab S3 via a WI-FI connection.  The SkyTrak connects to my mobile devices in 2 modes. One is known as  "Direct Connect" which allows my mobile devices to connect via the SkyTrak's WI-FI signal. The second way to connect my mobile devices to the SkyTrak is via the "Network Connect" mode, which is the preferred method. The "Network Connect" mode is supposed to connect to my personal WI-FI router and this connection allows me to send data to the SkyTrak site for data analysis and data storage. Data analysis and storage is not available in the "Direct Connect" mode. The IP address on the SkyTrak launch monitor is 10.0.0.1 which is the same IP address for my Orbi router. This creates a conflict and prevents me from connecting my mobile devices to my SkyTrak via the preferred WI-Fi connection, "Network Connection" mode. SkyTrak technical support advised me to change the IP address on my router in order to prevent the conflict. The IP address on the SkyTrak can't be changed. So it doesn't matter to me what the IP address is on the router as long as it is not 10.0.0.1. I have attached a photo of the SkyTrak.

Message 17 of 18
st_shaw
Master

Sounds like an ignorant/amateur design choice to set the IP to 10.0.0.1.  They should have at least used something odd like 10.0.0.253.

So does it work after changing your Orbi LAN address to 192.168.0.1?

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7