Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 paired with Two RBW30

808_networker
Follower

RBK50 paired with Two RBW30

I see some mixed discussions about adding the RBW30 plug-in satellite devices to a RBR50 router. I do not see this combo in any of Netgear's Orbi pre-packged device combos which leads me to beleive this combo of models is not recommended. Can someone tell me if this combo RBR50 and two RBW30's is a wise configuration?  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

The RBW30 satellites are supposed to work with the RBR50 router.  However, the backhaul of the RBR50 is 1.7 Gbps and the backhaul of the RBW30 is only 866 Mbps, so you would not be taking full advantage of the RBR50 if you use the RBW30 satellites.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume since the connection rates between RBS 50 and 30 satellites are different thus NG has match and paired the 50 router with the same 50 model Satellites with the same supporting connection rates. It would be wise to keep these pairings the same. 

Message 2 of 13
st_shaw
Master

The RBW30 satellites are supposed to work with the RBR50 router.  However, the backhaul of the RBR50 is 1.7 Gbps and the backhaul of the RBW30 is only 866 Mbps, so you would not be taking full advantage of the RBR50 if you use the RBW30 satellites.

Message 3 of 13
stangebelm
Guide

Das Zusammenspiel ist überhaupt kein Problem! Läuft!

Message 4 of 13
Ulairi
Luminary

I have the RBK 50 and bought a add-on RBW 30 wall satellite.  I downgraded the RBK 50 firmware (both router and satellite) to V2.0.1.4 to maintain compatibility with the RBW 30.

I am not having any luck with the wall satellite.  When the RBW 30 is switched on it needs the Synch button to be pressed on bothe router and wall satellite (it never sychs by itself).  Once connected, it only ever connects to the router via 2.4 GHz - even when in the same room. But worst of all - we have dropouts when the RBW 30 is on.  Service returns to normal (i,e no drop outs) when it is switched off.   

So I'd say that the AC 3000 RBK 50 kit is not currently compatible with the AC 2200 RBW 30 wall satellite.   DON'T DO IT!. 

Message 5 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Ulairi

We have released the latest firmware on the auto update server you may try updating all your your units and see if the 30 will stay connected.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 13
Ulairi
Luminary

Hi DarrnM,

Thanks for that heads-up.  I've updated the Wall Satellite from V2.0.0.34 to the new  V2.0.1.2 and - so far - all good!  No dropouts.

NB - I've got both the RBR 50 router and the RBS 50 satellite at V2.0.1.4 (downgraded from V2.1.0.18 and not yet updated to V2.1.3.4 because I haven't had problems with dropout and don't need the wired backhaul).  So this is confirmation that these two versions (V2.0.1.4 for router and V2.0.1.2 for the wall satellite) seem to be compatible. 

@DarrenMwrote:

Hello Ulairi

We have released the latest firmware on the auto update server you may try updating all your your units and see if the 30 will stay connected.

DarrenM

To

Message 7 of 13
Ulairi
Luminary

Well, the problem is back again!  After three days of no issues, my son's iPhone couldn't connect again. It was saying "no internet connection".  I suspect that the fault either doesn't occur until he roams into the wall satellite's coverage or something build's up in the unit over time (memory leakage?). 

I turned the RBW 30 'off' at the wall and he got connection immediately.

I remain of the view that the RBW 30 is completely unusable with the RBK 50 setup.  My advice to the original poster is don't buy anything other than another RBS 50 satellite to extend the RBK 50.

Message 8 of 13
Ulairi
Luminary

Updating the RBK50 firmware to V2.1.3.4 and the RBW30 to V2.1.3.6. today.

So far - all good.  I'll report back after a few days (when the previous issues typically materialized). 

Message 9 of 13
Sam_Cop
Guide

Hi, I really like the RBW30 form factor; but it is a pity that given the lower spec RBW30 cannot take full advantage of the RBK50 backhaul. Are there plans to release RBW 50 ? In that way, one can take advantage of both small form-factor and backhaul speeds Thanks Cheers Sam
Message 10 of 13
ovq
Guide
Guide

Hi!

I understand the limited baclkhaul between the 50 and the 30, and it would be OK for me.

My question is: will connecting a 30 limit the backhaul of the entire system, i.e. also between the two 50s?
Message 11 of 13
Ulairi
Luminary

@ovq wrote:
Hi!

I understand the limited baclkhaul between the 50 and the 30, and it would be OK for me.

My question is: will connecting a 30 limit the backhaul of the entire system, i.e. also between the two 50s?

There's a few threads on this topic on the forum (search for 'RBW30'), but as far as I'm aware no definitive answer has emerged.  This one has some good info, with the real world factors to also consider: RBW30 Backhaul

Message 12 of 13
ovq
Guide
Guide

Thank you. I guess in order to keep the max backhaul speed it’s safe to say that I need another 50, I guess.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7