Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 randomly stops working

ronothan
Tutor

RBK50 randomly stops working

Hi,

I've just purchased two days ago the Orbi, all with their respective latest firmware updates:

1. RBR50 (wired backhaul) - V2.3.5.30
  2. RBS50 (wired backhaul) - V2.3.5.30
  3. and RBS20 (wirlress 5ghz backhaul) - V2.3.5.26

It's daisy chained, and have made those changes in router.

I was impressed at first how nice it was having a mesh system. But I've noticed that sometimes, the connection just randomly stops!? I have to reset my phone's wifi (turning it on and off)  for it to start working. It happens randomly. 

What do you think - Do I tinker and hope I get it working? Or should I cut my losses and move on to something like Google WiFi, that's not as powerful but just works?

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: RBK50 randomly stops working

I'd tinker a bit. 

You can try changing wifi channels (maybe there's interference). Or enable/disable beamforming, enable/disable mu-mimo, enable/disable fastroaming. 

Playing with settings will need to be done with most of these mesh networks. Take a bit of time for optimization and you'll love it. I know with mine, it took a day or two for Orbi and my devices to figure out which wifi channels to be one or which satellite. 

How far apart are your satellites and routers? 30 ft is the minumum. 

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Daisy Chain should be disabled if you have a wired RBS. 

Message 3 of 5
ronothan
Tutor

Daisy chain disabled. I've tried tinkering to no avail. Should have ditched this and gone to google wifi. Unfortunately I've lost my mojo to try another system. I'm right in front of satellite...and iphon has full bars of WiFi connection. I know, that as soon as I disable and reenable wifi on my phone it will connect. It happens once or twice a day. Seemingly only on my iphone. I've seen that I'm not alone with this issue. Unpleasant experience for a new customer having to tinker this much. I'm wondering if this is a firmware issue. Did not have this issue with my other router.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Has a full factory reset been performed since the update to v30? I would do this and set it all up from scratch. 

I see one of our RBS is not one the same version as all the rest. They should all be on the same version of FW currently. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

I would turn OFF the RBS and just work with the RBR and this phone. If all other devices work and only this one phone seems to be having issues. Possible there is a issue with the phone...

@ronothan wrote:

Daisy chain disabled. I've tried tinkering to no avail. Should have ditched this and gone to google wifi. Unfortunately I've lost my mojo to try another system. I'm right in front of satellite...and iphon has full bars of WiFi connection. I know, that as soon as I disable and reenable wifi on my phone it will connect. It happens once or twice a day. Seemingly only on my iphone. I've seen that I'm not alone with this issue. Unpleasant experience for a new customer having to tinker this much. I'm wondering if this is a firmware issue. Did not have this issue with my other router.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7