Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 restarts once a night while streaming

OWBrady12
Aspirant

RBK50 restarts once a night while streaming

Had Orbi RBK50 router for 1.5 years.  All working perfectly.  Work from home use internet all day.  No problem.  IN the evening when streaming a show, the Orbi router suddenly restarts on its own.  Every single night for the past month, give or take a week or two.  Bought a new modem.  Same problem.  Had provider test service.  No issue and modem shows signal is being received.  Provider could not find and drop in service.  Tried plugging directly into Outlet.  Tried different outlet.  Tried different Cat5 between modem and router.  Same problem.  Tried Netgear support.  Tried resetting Orbi to factory.  Same problem.  Tried adjusting some settings (even though I never touched the settings and this just randomly started.). Got no where with support so bought a new RBK50 router (same exact model) and still the same problem.  Could this be a firmware issue?  Driving me nuts because it was working fine until recently when I never made any changes to configuration.

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 restarts once a night while streaming

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 8
OWBrady12
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  Firmware is v2.7.3.22. Modem is a Motorola MB7621.  Yes, the modem and router have been off for longer than a minute and both restarted since the problem started happening (in fact, I replaced both the modem and the Orbi with brand new hardware and the nightly restarts still happen!). I live in a house, so my neighbors are not that close.  I only see one other wifi network besides my own.  Thanks for any additional help you can provide on this mystery.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the top ring turn on when this happens? 

Might try a full on factory set and setup from scratch on the orbi system. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Be sure to not enable Armor or Circle after setting up the RBR.

Message 4 of 8
OWBrady12
Aspirant

Yes, when the problem occurs, the ring is flashing white like it just restarted.  In fact, I'm only down for a minute or two and then everything comes back on by itself and is working fine (until the next night).  Once in a while it happens a second time in the same evening.  It's never the same time.  Already tried the factory reset and the setting changes you mention with Netgear support.  Still same problem.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible the ISP modem could be causing the RBR to loose connection or reboot.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure your using good quality LAN cable, CAT6 is recommended. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 6 of 8
OWBrady12
Aspirant

Thanks, yes, had internet provider (Xfinity) come out and check signal, modem, etc.  I even got a new modem and same problem.  Provider could not find any issues with signal in my house or to my house.  Evrything was working fine until recently, so it does not feel like a problem with Cat5 or cable lines etc. Still feels like a firmware issue with Orbi.  Oh well.  Will live wiith it for a bit and likely try a different brand router at some point if a future firmware update does not fix it.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

How many devices do you have online when you start to stream and this problem happens? 

Is the streaming device connected to the RBR or RBS? 

You might downgrade FW to v104 and see if this happens.

What brand and model modem is the newer modem thats online? 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7