Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 system with new increased Gigabit speed

JD2195
Follower

RBK50 system with new increased Gigabit speed

I recently updated my Internet to Gigabit speed. My computer hardwired to modem clocks an average of 900 MBPS. I understand the WIFI won't likely match those speeds, but what is realistic with this Orbi system. I believe it supports up to 3 GBPS? My devices have not broken past 500 MBPS. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

@JD2195 wrote:

I recently updated my Internet to Gigabit speed. My computer hardwired to modem clocks an average of 900 MBPS. I understand the WIFI won't likely match those speeds, but what is realistic with this Orbi system. I believe it supports up to 3 GBPS? My devices have not broken past 500 MBPS. 

Thats about what you can expect out of wireless.

They get the 3000mbps by this route: 1733mbps 5ghz (backhaul) + 866mbps 5ghz (fronthaul, usable) + 400 mbps 2.4ghz (fronthaul, usable).  

If you're getting 500mbps over the 866mbps 5ghz front haul, thats about what you can expect. Some can get slightly more depending on device and environment they're in. 

The orbi isn't necessarily going to give you the highest peak performance. the flagship single router solutions are. But what orbi is going to get is you is the most consistent and widest coverage. Also it'll get you client roaming and single ssid solutions. 

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You should see near 900Mbps with a wired PC thru the RBR50. This will be the max ever seen on Orbi with a wired PC. 

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@JD2195 wrote:

Message 3 of 15
aakshey
Star

The max download I've got wired is ~900 and the max upload ~940. For brief milli seconds I've hit 1.5 Gbps on Fast.com. Even on upload I've touched 1 Gbps more than once. 

On WiFi, the max I've got is nearly 600ish. For brief mili seconds I might have crossed 650-670 or so. 

Orbi 5 GHz radio (client end) has a 2x2 radio. The link rate is 866 Mbps. Usually 1/3rd goes to overheads. So 550-600 is usually the max you'll get. If you're unlucky you might get 3xx/4xx I guess. 

All of this is in the same room as the router/wired satellite. 

a satellite on wireless backhaul might give much lower speeds than the above. 

Message 4 of 15

Here is a strange thing. I have 1G service, have for over a year now. Orbi system for about the same time. Whenever I ran the speed test on my Orbi app I saw download speeds of around 490Mbps down and 32Mbps up.

Since the last firmware update I now see download speeds of just over 900Mbps. I do not understand how or why. I'm not complaining you understand, I'm just confused.

I have changed nothing, no settings change, no reboots, nothing.

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi app may show differences in speed on a wireless mobile device vs a wired PC connect to the RBR using a speed test app on the pc. 

@Stillconfused32 wrote:

Here is a strange thing. I have 1G service, have for over a year now. Orbi system for about the same time. Whenever I ran the speed test on my Orbi app I saw download speeds of around 490Mbps down and 32Mbps up.

Since the last firmware update I now see download speeds of just over 900Mbps. I do not understand how or why. I'm not complaining you understand, I'm just confused.

Message 6 of 15
aakshey
Star

On some devices Orbi app shows random numbers. With no relation to reality. 

Connect via CAT6. Run SpeedTest.net through CAT6. 

Message 7 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Stillconfused32 wrote:

What firmware are you referring to?

Message 8 of 15

Message 9 of 15
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Stillconfused32 wrote:

Orbi SpeedTest tool can return vastly inconsistent results depending on FW versions and how busy the remote upstream servers.  If you want to get real up/down speed, use your ISP speedtest URL.  For example, I'm with Comcast and I use https://speedtest.xfinity.com/ 

If I use Orbi Speedtest tool, my results were also all over the places depending on when I did it.  Take a look at the attached file/picture.

Orbi SpeedTest App.jpg

Message 10 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Stillconfused32 wrote:

That's your problem.  Get rid of it.  

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

If your system is working, no need to change anything. Keep whats loaded. Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Helps save time if a reset is needed. 

Be sure to use Ooklas installable speed test app as well with a wired PC or laptop. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Stillconfused32 wrote:

Message 12 of 15

Yes. Everything is working just fine, better than fine. I’ve never had a negative issue with my internet since buying the Orbi system.
I just wondered why the Orbi app is showing such an increase in speed, almost double.
I know my wireless devices are showing the same speeds as they have for over a year now, since I installed Orbi. Anywhere from 200 to 500Mbps. That has not changed. Just found it odd that Orbi app is reporting differently. Perhaps Orbi has just started “reporting” the speed in the same way that my laptop would if it was plugged in direct to my modem.
Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible Orbi App services have been upated or tuned in as well. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Stillconfused32 wrote:
Yes. Everything is working just fine, better than fine. I’ve never had a negative issue with my internet since buying the Orbi system.
I just wondered why the Orbi app is showing such an increase in speed, almost double.

the app is not recommended.

enjoySmiley Happy

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7