Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 to replace aging Time Capsule

Retired_Member
Not applicable

RBK50 to replace aging Time Capsule

Hi folks,

I'm considering replacing my fifth generation AC Time Capsule with a Orbi RBK50 two unit system in a 2200 sq foot two floor house as my TC struggles to provide distant coverage from the main floor where it's located to my iMac music server in the basement. Average connection speed at the imac server varies from 169 mbps to a max of 219 mbps. While I haven't expereienced stuttering on my clients upstairs when acessing iTunes Home Sharing from the music server downstairs, loading album cover art from that server on upstairs clients can take ages. I'm also going to add more clients around the house which which will increase the load on an aging Time Capsule's network.

My main concern is with the Orbi system's ability to support Wake On Lan and Apple's Bonjour service so my imac music server can be woken when a client requests music from it's library. If the Orbi doesn't support Bonjour this would be a deal breaker for me if I can't access music from that server. Can someone confirm the Oribi system supports Bonjour before I purchase it?

Thanks!

BDA

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 to replace aging Time Capsule

I would contact NG support in regards to this to make sure.

@Retired_Member wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm considering replacing my fifth generation AC Time Capsule with a Orbi RBK50 two unit system in a 2200 sq foot two floor house as my TC struggles to provide distant coverage from the main floor where it's located to my iMac music server in the basement. Average connection speed at the imac server varies from 169 mbps to a max of 219 mbps. While I haven't expereienced stuttering on my clients upstairs when acessing iTunes Home Sharing from the music server downstairs, loading album cover art from that server on upstairs clients can take ages. I'm also going to add more clients around the house which which will increase the load on an aging Time Capsule's network.

My main concern is with the Orbi system's ability to support Wake On Lan and Apple's Bonjour service so my imac music server can be woken when a client requests music from it's library. If the Orbi doesn't support Bonjour this would be a deal breaker for me if I can't access music from that server. Can someone confirm the Oribi system supports Bonjour before I purchase it?

Thanks!

BDA

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support in regards to this to make sure.

@Retired_Member wrote:

Hi folks,

Thanks!

BDA

Message 2 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks FURREYe38, I'll send them an email today. 

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 4 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks,

Interestingly, I just found a discussion on the Linksys Velop forum which stated the Orbi does support Bonjour and iTunes home sharing which the Velop doesn't (or it doesn't work.)  I discovered the same a few ago after buying a Velop and watching my iMac music server go off line after it went to sleep and refused to be woken when my Macs upstairs tried to open my shared iTunes library. I'd rather confirm it with Support first though before wasting my time and purchasing then returning another product that's simply not right for the job.

BDA

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you find out.

Message 6 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Will do...trying to reach them via chat now.

EDIT: apparently Chat is currently down. If I can't reach them this weekend I'll try again on a weekday and report their reply. I'm sure I won't be the only Apple iTunes Home Sharing user looking for solutions considering the discontinuation of all Airport products. 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope something will work out for you...

Message 8 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Good news ....the Netgear Team replied to an email I sent out yesterday and stated the Orbi system shouldn't have a problem supporting Apple's Bonjour service waking my iTunes server from sleep when a client wants to access music in the house.

I'll report back results when I get an Orbi system in place after replacing my iMac server which is seven years old now and more likely to lose its hard drive vs my Time Capsule. 

Thanks again for the advice Furry.

Message 9 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Not good...can you provide a link to your source?

Thanks,
BDA
Message 10 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for trying...

WAN side 7 up and 80 down which I'm getting. 

LAN side using the Time Capsule I'm averaging 867 or better on everything but that mac server in the basement playroom which averages around 217 which prompted me to try a mesh system to increase throughput and range.

LOL..the Velop lost in throughput to the TC with an added bonus of Bonjour no longer working so the receipt came in handy when I returned it.  So much for "New and Improved"

Message 11 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The numbers came from net stats from several of my macs:

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 7.44.05 PM.png

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation