Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 v2 - hardware changes

Eric90i
Star

RBK50 v2 - hardware changes

What are the differences between the RBK50 system and the RBK50 v2 system? I assume there were some hardware changes.
Message 1 of 5
tagteam
Virtuoso

Yes, compare the data sheets:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK50.pdf

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK50v2.pdf

One thing I noticed was the v2 does NOT have a USB port. Also, for whatever reason, the v2 uses a 2.5A power adapter versus the 3.5A for v1. The memory on the v2 is listed as 512MB NAND Flash and 512MB RAM while the v1 states 4GB flash and 512MB RAM.

Message 2 of 5
Eric90i
Star

Thanks! These changes appear to be more of a cost reduction design rather than an improvement or upgrade.
Message 3 of 5
tagteam
Virtuoso

@Eric90i wrote:
Thanks! These changes appear to be more of a cost reduction design rather than an improvement or upgrade.

You are quite welcome and I quite agree with you. I actually couldn't believe the appearance of the (3) 3.5A adapters I got with my RBK53 system. Those things must have added a bit to the cost and it's difficult to figure how these devices would draw anywhere near that (or why they needed to look like some high-end Apple accessory). Also, the USB port is sort of useless since they never did enable the thing as was originally envisioned - so it's absence will probably go unnoticed.

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@tagteam wrote:

One thing I noticed was the v2 does NOT have a USB port. Also, for whatever reason, the v2 uses a 2.5A power adapter versus the 3.5A for v1. The memory on the v2 is listed as 512MB NAND Flash and 512MB RAM while the v1 states 4GB flash and 512MB RAM.

Interesting, since the debug page on my RBR50 shows 149mb used of 495mb total memory and 2945mb used of 4096mb flash.  Somehow I am using 5 times the available flash on the v2.

My guess is that this may be becauses I have done numerous debug captures to memory over the past several months, and maybe the last capture "hangs around" until the next capture is done.  Sort of ironic, since the alternative to capturing packets to memory is to capture to USB.  No USB port = no capture to USB.  And, maybe not much capture at all.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7