Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 viewing devices on network question (a bit more advanced than topic sounds)

Architekt
Apprentice

RBK50 viewing devices on network question (a bit more advanced than topic sounds)

My network is set up like this: internet access provider ethernet line enters house and connects to my Linksys router (it's in the garage). All 4 hardwired ethernet ports in my house connect to said Linksys router. My Orbi is plugged into one of these ports, thus my Orbi is essentially directly connected to my Linksys router. I have a device, physically connected via ethernet, to my Orbi satellite. This device is discoverable by anything connected to my Orbi, fantastic. The problem I have is that anything connected to the Linksys router cannot see things that are physically connected to the Orbi, like my desktop PC. I'm not sure if this is something that can be achieved at all, and if it can, if there's a configuration issue I need to address on either my Orbi, Linksys, or both.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK50 viewing devices on network question (a bit more advanced than topic sounds)

You are correct.  The Linksys router has assigned IP addresses to things connected to the four ethernet ports.  Because the Orbi is also set up as a router, it is assigning IP addresses to anything behind the Orbi in another IP space.  Devices connected to the Linksys have no way to know that the Orbi IP space exists.  The solution is to put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode.  That way, the LInksys will assign IP addresses to every device, and they can all communicate with each other.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK50 viewing devices on network question (a bit more advanced than topic sounds)

You are correct.  The Linksys router has assigned IP addresses to things connected to the four ethernet ports.  Because the Orbi is also set up as a router, it is assigning IP addresses to anything behind the Orbi in another IP space.  Devices connected to the Linksys have no way to know that the Orbi IP space exists.  The solution is to put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode.  That way, the LInksys will assign IP addresses to every device, and they can all communicate with each other.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Because you are using all four of the ethernet ports on the Linksys, there is not an option to put the Linksys iinto "bridge" mode.  It has to stay a router.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7