Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50: which firmware to choose if in Access Point mode? Satellite or Router?

dieten2000
Initiate

RBK50: which firmware to choose if in Access Point mode? Satellite or Router?

I have a question regarding manually firmware update. The User Manual says on pg. 93 to update first the satellite, then the router.

In case the router is operated in Access Point mode there would be no Orbi router, which firmware one should choose? If I chosse satellite, am I able to revert back later to router? Or is it mandatory to use the router firmware anyway.

Btw. does only the firmware make the difference between router and satellite, since from the pictures both look alike?

Thanks.

dieten2000

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: RBK50: which firmware to choose if in Access Point mode? Satellite or Router?

@dieten2000 wrote:

Thanks. But thats not quite the answer to my question. I think I haven't been precise enough.

In my planned design there is no Orbi *router*, since there is an existing router from my ISP, to which I connect the root Orbi. There is only the root Orbi which is *not* wired to my internet connection but to the exisiting router and which is in access point mode. Then there is the satellite Orbi.

But I think I should nevertheless use the router firmware for the root Orbi even if it is not a router. Reason for that is that the root Orbi could fall back to router mode some times in the future.

You asked which firmware to use.  You were precise enough with your question, and I have answered it precisely. The problem is with NETGEAR's use of the term "router," which is causing confusion.  Let's review again and be precise...

Orbi contains two different model hardware devices. They are physically different and are not interchangeable. They can be distinguished by looking at the units, and by reading the model number stamped on the bottom of the unit.

There is the RBR50 and the RBS50.  There are also two different firmware loads.  One load is for the RBR50 and one load is for the RBS50.  You must load the RBR50 firmware onto the RBR50 device.  You must load the RBS50 firmware on the RBS50 device.

Similarly, you must wire the RBR50 device to your existing modeom or router from your ISP. You must never wire the RBS50 to anything but client devices.

The firmware download page is here: https://www.netgear.com/support/download/default.aspx  Look at the model numbers on the firmware page.

The confusion is because NETGEAR calls the RBR50 the "router" regardless of what mode you use it in.  NETGEAR does not use the term "root" Orbi.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Re: RBK50: which firmware to choose if in Access Point mode? Satellite or Router?

Regardless of whether you operate Orbi in "router" mode or "access point" mode, there are still two different Orbi units.  One is called the router (e.g. RBR50) and the other is called the satellite (e.g. RBR50). The "router" must be wired to your Internet connection. The satellite must communicate with the "router" over the Orbi backhaul.  Each unit performs a different role, so you must download the corresponding firmware to each unit.

Message 2 of 5
dieten2000
Initiate

Thanks. But thats not quite the answer to my question. I think I haven't been precise enough.

In my planned design there is no Orbi *router*, since there is an existing router from my ISP, to which I connect the root Orbi. There is only the root Orbi which is *not* wired to my internet connection but to the exisiting router and which is in access point mode. Then there is the satellite Orbi.

But I think I should nevertheless use the router firmware for the root Orbi even if it is not a router. Reason for that is that the root Orbi could fall back to router mode some times in the future.

Message 3 of 5
cyberprashant
Luminary

my orbi is in AP mode - I use "router" RBR firmware for the root orbi.  and the RBS Satellite for the satellites. 

Message 4 of 5
st_shaw
Master

@dieten2000 wrote:

You asked which firmware to use.  You were precise enough with your question, and I have answered it precisely. The problem is with NETGEAR's use of the term "router," which is causing confusion.  Let's review again and be precise...

Orbi contains two different model hardware devices. They are physically different and are not interchangeable. They can be distinguished by looking at the units, and by reading the model number stamped on the bottom of the unit.

There is the RBR50 and the RBS50.  There are also two different firmware loads.  One load is for the RBR50 and one load is for the RBS50.  You must load the RBR50 firmware onto the RBR50 device.  You must load the RBS50 firmware on the RBS50 device.

Similarly, you must wire the RBR50 device to your existing modeom or router from your ISP. You must never wire the RBS50 to anything but client devices.

The firmware download page is here: https://www.netgear.com/support/download/default.aspx  Look at the model numbers on the firmware page.

The confusion is because NETGEAR calls the RBR50 the "router" regardless of what mode you use it in.  NETGEAR does not use the term "root" Orbi.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7