Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 with FiOS, stopped working

ableman42
Guide

RBK50 with FiOS, stopped working

Installed  Orbi mesh system. Everything installed and was working great. 

Not sure it matters, but installed orbo firmware update. After that everything went south. Normal web browsing works fine, but anything more intense (e.g. Sling on any device) won't start due to bandwith problems.

Unplugged everything and turned wi-fi back on verizon router, and everything works.

Thoughts appreciated.

Sean

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I would recommend Option #3...

@ableman42 wrote:

I don't need the extender, is that what you mean by "downstream router". Perfectly happy if it's just the Verizon router and the Orbi.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

How was the FW update performed? Manually load or via the routers web page thru auto update? 

If auto update, please try a factory reset on the Orbi router and set up from scratch. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

If your ISP doesn't natively support IPv6, you can disable this ON the Orbi router. 

@ableman42 wrote:

Not sure it matters, but installed orbo firmware update. After that everything went south. Normal web browsing works fine, but anything more intense (e.g. Sling on any device) won't start due to bandwith problems.

Unplugged everything and turned wi-fi back on verizon router, and everything works.

Thoughts appreciated.

Sean

Message 2 of 16
ekhalil
Master

@ableman42 wrote:

1. Are you using wired or wireless backhaul?
  2. What type of wired devices do you have connected to Orbi?
  3. Please do the following simple test to check if you have double NAT.

Please open a Command Prompt on any computer attached to Orbi and type:

tracert 8.8.8.8    (traceroute to Google’s DNS server)

If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good. 🙂

Message 3 of 16
Chuck_M
Mentor

How long had you had the system up and running before things stopped working?  I am assuming a very short period of time (hours??)

Message 4 of 16
ableman42
Guide

Correct, very short. Maybe an hour? Not more than two.

Sean

Message 5 of 16
Chuck_M
Mentor

Makes sense... please conduct the double nat TRACERT test that was described above and let us know if the first two IP addresses shown are private (192.168.xxx.xxx) or if only the first one is.

Open a command prompt and type in TRACERT 8.8.8.8 and hit enter.  results should show instantly.  Dont post them here because they would reveal your public IP.

A double NAT condition is caused by having a router attached to (downstream of) another router.

If you determine this is the case, it is not difficult to solve the issue, but we would have to know how it is configured first (e.g. what is the make/model of Cable modem -- or cable modem router combo the Orbi is attached to.

Message 6 of 16
ableman42
Guide

Will do.

I think I may know the problem. It's a Verizon Fios Router (I had gone in and turned off the Wi-fi). I also had an wi-fi extender, which was proving inadequete (hence the orbi). I did not unplug the extender (figured the Fios router was turned off, oops).

Sean

Message 7 of 16
Chuck_M
Mentor

There are several methods of configuring a Verizon FIOS router to be "compatible" with downstream routers to solve the distance problem like you have.

Verizon has an interesting chart which shows the different types of configurations to make this work and there are often tradeoffs which you may or may not want to deal with.

Example:  Configuring it under certain "modes" will disable the onscreen guide or PPV in certain circumstances... you may or may not be ok with that.  I found that the calling Verizon tech support is unnaturally friendly (believe it or not) and they are extremely helpful in ensuring that when you bridge their verizon router/modem combination, it has no negative effects on the remainder of your verizon install.

Give Verizon tech support a call and tell them what you want to do and they will be able to give you their best advice on bridging their modem while preserving whatever verizon services you may have.

Message 8 of 16
ableman42
Guide

I don't need the extender, is that what you mean by "downstream router". Perfectly happy if it's just the Verizon router and the Orbi.

Message 9 of 16
Chuck_M
Mentor

That's not what I meant.  I am not speaking of any additional equipment or "extender"

When I say "Downstream Router" I am speaking of the router AFTER your verizon equipment that is between your Verizon equipment and connected devices..

In your case, the "Downstream Router" is your Orbi!  But you have to properly configure your Verizon equipment to make it work properly (as you have already experienced)

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I would recommend Option #3...

@ableman42 wrote:

Message 11 of 16
ableman42
Guide

Think I'm good. Went to orbilogin and, well, logged in. First thing it did was say something like 'IP address conflict noted, IP address changed to...' forget exactly what it said. Went to do set it to AP mode. It seemed to boot me out of the menu, but when I went back it was in AP mode.

I did the other check and got this, hoping this is good.

1 4 ms 4 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.1
2 28 ms 14 ms 40 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Message 12 of 16
Chuck_M
Mentor

Looks like you are in good shape.  Does everything appear to be working properly?

If so, please click accept solution to close this thread.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Your FIOS probably had a router built in and using same 192.168.1.1 address as the Orbi does. This would cause a conflict. Glad you got it working in AP mode. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know for future reference. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@ableman42 wrote:

Think I'm good. Went to orbilogin and, well, logged in. First thing it did was say something like 'IP address conflict noted, IP address changed to...' forget exactly what it said. Went to do set it to AP mode. It seemed to boot me out of the menu, but when I went back it was in AP mode.

I did the other check and got this, hoping this is good.

1 4 ms 4 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.1
2 28 ms 14 ms 40 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Message 14 of 16
ableman42
Guide

For records purpose, option 3 solved the problem. Thank you for all the help, things have been running great. Full wifi stregth on far side of the house!

I'll click "accept solution" now. 

Sean

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@ableman42 wrote:

For records purpose, option 3 solved the problem. Thank you for all the help, things have been running great. Full wifi stregth on far side of the house!

I'll click "accept solution" now. 

Sean

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7