Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 with RBW30 Satellites...want to add RBR30 to increase range on Same Network

leorob
Aspirant

RBK50 with RBW30 Satellites...want to add RBR30 to increase range on Same Network

As title says, RBK50 router with 2 RBW30 Satellites.

I have an RBR50 router sitting around. I would like to add it to the same network to extend range.

Can I do it?I want same network name and password for seamless operation througout the house.

How to configure second router?50

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: RBK50 with RBW30 Satellites...want to add RBR30 to increase range on Same Network

You can't with stock firmware. The RBR's can't be used as satellites. 

But if you do a google on "convert and rbr to and rbs" you might find results. 

beware though, that method can easily brick your device. 

Message 2 of 4
leorob
Aspirant

Re: RBK50 with RBW30 Satellites...want to add RBR30 to increase range on Same Network

Thanks for the very fast reply. A couple of quick questions please.

1. Would I have to upgrade the firmware on BOTH routers? I might be willing to brick the older router but not both.

2. If this works, then the old router would just become a satellite?

I've seen other posts on this community that say if all equipment is wifi 5 one can do what I'm asking, so as the guru, you are saying they are wrong?

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@leorob wrote:

Thanks for the very fast reply. A couple of quick questions please.

1. Would I have to upgrade the firmware on BOTH routers? I might be willing to brick the older router but not both.---just the one device. I haven't done it myself as I haven't had 2x rbr50's. 

2. If this works, then the old router would just become a satellite?---as far as I'm aware and what I've read it converts the rbr to and rbs. again, this isn't stock firmware and can easily brick your device. 

I've seen other posts on this community that say if all equipment is wifi 5 one can do what I'm asking, so as the guru, you are saying they are wrong?----be better if you pointed at the actual devices instead of vague "other posts say it can be done"

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7