Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 with Xfinity Modem

dondeford
Tutor

RBK50 with Xfinity Modem

I am installing a new Orbi RBK50 with satellite, plus a wall satellite and outdoor satellite from an old system.  I have Gig speed internet from Xfinity.  I put the Xfinity modem into bridge mode, then called Xfinity because they have to do some magic on their end because I had some Xfinity Pod extenders in the house.  With that done, I set up the Orbi, then rebooted everything from the modem to the router, to the switches, then devices.  Everything was fine at first, with all devices being assigned an expected 192.168.1.x IP address.  But then I started getting random devices assigned a 10.0.0.x IP address, like the router wasn't even there so they were defaulting to the modem, which, as I understand it, shouldn't have been giving out any addresses at all.  Any device assigned a 10.x address could not see the internet.  Anything with a 192.x gets internet just fine.

I rebooted everything again, and had a whole different set of devices assigned to 10.x, with some still assigned 192.x and working fine.  It is a combination of wired and wireless devices that get the 10.x addresses, and different every time I reboot, and sometimes randomly switching from 192 to 10 after running fine for a while.

I'm about at my wit's end on this.  I'm still renting a modem from Comcast because my phone comes from Comcast through the modem (lousy cell service where I live).  I think that the Orbi is a better router, so I would prefer to keep the modem in bridge mode, but I just can't make it work.  I'm close to giving up, turning off bridge mode on the modem and using the Orbi in AP mode.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on this.  The XFi extender pods just don't reach far enough, so I really need the Orbi system to be up and running.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working well now. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

You'll need to check the modem to ensure it's fully bridged and the wifi has been disabled on the modem. If a 10.something address is being seen, psosible that the router on the modem got re-enalbed and Orbi will auto change it's IP address from 192. to 10 to avoid IP conflict with the modem.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 8

@dondeford wrote:

I put the Xfinity modem into bridge mode...

This isn't as straightforward as it seems. Some modem/routers are harder to configure than others.

What device are we talking about here?

Message 3 of 8
dondeford
Tutor

My Orbi is running version 2.5.1.16.

My Xfinity modem/router is their brand new WiFi6 model, but it doesn't say who manufactures it.  When I set it to bridge mode, I also called Comcast and asked them to turn off all router and WiFi functionality on their end, which they said they did, then they rebooted.  I could plug a computer directly into the modem and log in and it said that it was in bridge mode.  I can't think of anything else to do to get it fully into bridge mode.

I'm ready to reset the modem, turn off bridge mode and put the Orbi into AP mode, but I'm sure the Orbi has a better router than Xfinity does, and I don't want to lose my guest WiFi functionality.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If you feel the modem is fully bridged. Then keep this configuration.

Try some of the following:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 5 of 8
dondeford
Tutor

I've given up on getting the Xfinity router fully into bridge mode.  Each call to Comcast is an hour or two long, and it doesn't seem to fix anything.  I think it's because I had the XFi pods set up.

I have the Orbi set to AP mode now, with the Xfinity router running things.  I lose some functions I liked, but I'm getting the coverage I need clear out to my shop and game room.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support!

Don

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working well now. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy.

Message 7 of 8

@dondeford wrote:

I have the Orbi set to AP mode now, with the Xfinity router running things.  I lose some functions I liked, but I'm getting the coverage I need clear out to my shop and game room.

A lot of Orbi users do that. Many of us have better routers and the Orbi is there because it is better at delivering wifi.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7