Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 with existing router

a_p_s
Aspirant

RBK50 with existing router

I’m looking to retain our current modem-router with RBK50 (main + 2 x satellites) just used for seamless Wi-Fi – with my understanding is that this requires setting up the main unit in “access point” mode. The various threads seem to confirm that this will work but, before purchase, I wanted to confirm that this is the case. Is it correct that this set-up will work with the satellites able to talk to the main unit to provide full home Wi-Fi? And, this being the case, what if any functions are lost? Is it correct to assume that parental controls will be lost? But what about the ability to set-up an isolated guest network?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
jimdibb
Aspirant

Re: RBK50 with existing router

@a_p_s wrote:

I’m looking to retain our current modem-router with RBK50 (main + 2 x satellites) just used for seamless Wi-Fi – with my understanding is that this requires setting up the main unit in “access point” mode. The various threads seem to confirm that this will work but, before purchase, I wanted to confirm that this is the case. Is it correct that this set-up will work with the satellites able to talk to the main unit to provide full home Wi-Fi? And, this being the case, what if any functions are lost? Is it correct to assume that parental controls will be lost? But what about the ability to set-up an isolated guest network?

Yes, you can use it as an access point behind an existing router.  The satellites work with it fine in that mode.  Not sure what you lose, but it seems that the guest network support does work.  As in I can configure a guest network with different ssid and password.  Not sure what functionality it otherwise provides though.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
jimdibb
Aspirant

Re: RBK50 with existing router

@a_p_s wrote:

Yes, you can use it as an access point behind an existing router.  The satellites work with it fine in that mode.  Not sure what you lose, but it seems that the guest network support does work.  As in I can configure a guest network with different ssid and password.  Not sure what functionality it otherwise provides though.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7