Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 with existing router

sebastian76
Follower

RBK50 with existing router

Hi,

I'm planning to buy mentioned kit RBK50, but i have important question and can't find clear answer.

Is it possible to configure RBR50 as normal AP without router function ? I have other router and getting internet via fiber. I have so many options configured on this device and I'm very happy about it. I would like to use orbi only for wi-fi with same addresses which I have on lan side of my existing router. 

If it is possible then where I should connect ethernet cable to RBK50 from my existing router ? to Internet port ? or ethernet port ? Just to have on wireless same ip addresses like i have on wired lan and see whole local network from wireless devices.

If RBR50 will be working as AP only (not router) then - can I still connect two satellites (RBS50) ??? Or it will only work if RBK50 is configured as router ?

Thank you all in advance for simple answer.

Ssebastian

Message 1 of 3

There is a manual for the Orbi WiFi System, including the RBK50, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

Check the section Use the Router as a WiFi Access Point.

Message 2 of 3
AC641
Luminary

@sebastian76 wrote:

Hi,

I'm planning to buy mentioned kit RBK50, but i have important question and can't find clear answer.

Is it possible to configure RBR50 as normal AP without router function ? I have other router and getting internet via fiber. I have so many options configured on this device and I'm very happy about it. I would like to use orbi only for wi-fi with same addresses which I have on lan side of my existing router. 

If it is possible then where I should connect ethernet cable to RBK50 from my existing router ? to Internet port ? or ethernet port ? Just to have on wireless same ip addresses like i have on wired lan and see whole local network from wireless devices.

If RBR50 will be working as AP only (not router) then - can I still connect two satellites (RBS50) ??? Or it will only work if RBK50 is configured as router ?

Thank you all in advance for simple answer.

Ssebastian

Yes, you can run the Orbi in AP mode as you wish to.

Regardless of whether you use Router or AP mode you connect the cable from your existing router to the Internet port of the Orbi Router.

You can add satellites regardless of whether you use Router or AP mode.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7