Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 with existing router

LegendMask
Aspirant

RBK50 with existing router

Hi Im considering getting RBK50 to use it for wifi exclusively, however I have a question setting it up with my isp router/modem.

Can it extends my isp modem/router wifi?
What I mean by that is, having my ISP modem/router in the basement then having the RBK router in the first floor connected to my isp modem/router through wifi, and the RBK satellite in the second floor.

Or does the RBK router has to be connected to my isp modem/router through ethernet cable in the basement in order for it to work.

My current setup is:
- Bell Home Hub 3000
- Plume mesh pods x7 (that Im planning to replace them with RBK50)
- speed 1.5gbps (down/up)
- Area to be covered around 2,000sqf per floor (3 floors)
- 4-6 devices being connected through wifi at the same time at pick times.
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

The Orbi can not extend wifi from other wifi routers. 

30 feet is recommended in between Orbi base and satellite to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Current LAN speeds will only max out at 900Mbps +- due to LAN port speed limitations. 1000Mb is the max RJ45 supports currently on most home class routers. 

@LegendMask wrote:
Hi Im considering getting RBK50 to use it for wifi exclusively, however I have a question setting it up with my isp router/modem.

Can it extends my isp modem/router wifi?
What I mean by that is, having my ISP modem/router in the basement then having the RBK router in the first floor connected to my isp modem/router through wifi, and the RBK satellite in the second floor.

Or does the RBK router has to be connected to my isp modem/router through ethernet cable in the basement in order for it to work.

My current setup is:
- Bell Home Hub 3000
- Plume mesh pods x7 (that Im planning to replace them with RBK50)
- speed 1.5gbps (down/up)
- Area to be covered around 2,000sqf per floor (3 floors)
- 4-6 devices being connected through wifi at the same time at pick times.

Message 2 of 8
LegendMask
Aspirant

So simply it can't be done?

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@LegendMask wrote:
Or does the RBK router has to be connected to my isp modem/router through ethernet cable in the basement in order for it to work..

Yes, the RBR50 (router) can be connected ONLY using an ethernet cable from the yellow port to the modem.  It cannot be connected over WiFi.  Good you asked first before spending money.

What the Orbi IS good for is creating a new network.  i.e. Remove the Bell Home Hub 3000 and all of the pods and replace it all with Orbi.  I have no experience with how networking "works" in Canada (correct?).  Is the Bell system not doing what you want?  Is the monthly rental an issue?

Message 4 of 8
LegendMask
Aspirant

Thanks for clarifying that.

Im planning to get the RBK50 as it seems it has the best coverage and speed, but I guess I might need to consider the RBK53 now, since the router RBK will be at the basement. The Bell Home Hub 3000 is really good but unfortunly it doesnt cover my whole home.

The reason I'm getting rid of the Plume mesh pods, is because to be honest they keep dropping connection a lot, and even with 7 pods they still struggle to get even fair signal between each other. (despite even sticking to the recommended range) and I think the main reason behind this issue, is because it doesnt optimize or organize the connections between each pods.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBK is best placed on a main or 1st floor for best single propagation. Basements are not idea and can cause wifi problems. 

The system will work wired to your modem. Just besure to set the modem to one of the configurations suggested or try the 3rd option with the Orbi. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 8
LegendMask
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 and @CrimpOn 

Thank you so much for your replies, and will keep those on my mind when getting either RBK50 or RBK53.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements