Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50

arrayprofile
Aspirant

RBK50

My orbi RBK50 randomly reboot once a while, sometimes during daytime when kids are in classes. What could cause this random rebooting, is there any setting that I can use to prevent it from rebooting?

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What devices do you have connected while running during the day?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 15
arrayprofile
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded? V2.7.0.70 for router, V2.6.1.4 for satellite, both latest
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Motorola Surfboard SB6183

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  3500 sq ft, router in master closet, one satellite downstairs near stairs
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Not sure how far it is, but I think the distance is not short because sometimes I have to move satellite a little bit to get blue light on satellite to connect

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Yes Auto, auto on 2.4Ghz, 48 on 5 Ghz
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? yes, I can see 4 wifi, but very weak signal

What devices do you have connected while running during the day? 5 laptops, 5 phones, 1 ipad

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings Just did

Try disabling the following and see: just did
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? No

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

@arrayprofile wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded? V2.7.0.70 for router, V2.6.1.4 for satellite, both latest
Ok, so there is a more recent version of v2.7x out and you may want to update to it on both RBR and RBS. RBS and RBR need to be running same version of FW, not different:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-v2-7-1-60-Officially-Released...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  3500 sq ft, router in master closet, one satellite downstairs near stairs

Not sure how far it is, but I think the distance is not short because sometimes I have to move satellite a little bit to get blue light on satellite to connect. I would try to measure the distance to be sure. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? No

Lets power OFF the RBR and RBS for 30 seconds than back ON, after you get the system updated. 

Message 4 of 15
arrayprofile
Aspirant

Ok, so there is a more recent version of v2.7x out and you may want to update to it on both RBR and RBS. RBS and RBR need to be running same version of FW, not different:
When I logged into my router and satellite, it shows "No new firmware version available". My satellite is RBS40V, router is RBR50.

Lets power OFF the RBR and RBS for 30 seconds than back ON, after you get the system updated. 

Is this how to do factory reset by powering OFF for 30 seconds and then back ON? Then yes, I have done factory reset many times in the past.

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 15
arrayprofile
Aspirant

Thanks! So it is mandatory to have the same version of firmware on both router and satellite?

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

For RBR50 and RBS50 it is. However the RBS40v doesn't get same frequent FW updates as the 50 series does. So until NG updates the 40v, I guess you'll have to downgrade the RBR50... Smiley Embarassed

Message 8 of 15
arrayprofile
Aspirant

Ok, thanks. I changed those settings that you suggested (also changed channel to 6 for 2.4Ghz), I'll see how stable router/satellite with these new settings. How do I downgrade the firmware version? I can see in my router account, there is a "Manual Update" where you can upload a update file (by downloading the file using the link you previously provided), is that how it works?

Thanks again

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Use a wired PC or laptop and web browser connected to the RBR and use the RBRs web page to send the FW file to the RBR. 

Under Advanced Settings/Administration

Message 10 of 15
arrayprofile
Aspirant

I am logging into my router RBR50 via wifi, and I can see "Manual Update" under Adminstration/Firmware Update, where it allows me to browse a file on my laptop and upload, is this ok? Or I have to wired connect my laptop to router? The firmware file downloaded is a zip file (RBR50-V2.6.1.40.zip). Just upload the zip file or unzip first and then upload the img file "RBR50-V2.6.1.40.img"?

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

On the manual tab there should be a Select File button this should open a explorer window for you to navigate to where you have unpacked the .zip file revealing the img file to select. 

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Use the Browse button to go find the .img file. 

Message 13 of 15
arrayprofile
Aspirant

Thanks so much!

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors