Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50

Jroach
Luminary

RBK50

Back again...   this am I could not get to the internet, solid failure, wireless or wired.

Looked at logs, nothing of note.  Rebooted modem, nothing.  Rebooted Orbi and all is back.  I had recently updated firmware to .104.

Anybody else having issue with .104?

I've asked this before but just in case the answer has changed, are there any netgear tools I should be using?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 34
vajim
Master

Re: RBK50

@Jroach wrote:

Back again...   this am I could not get to the internet, solid failure, wireless or wired.

Looked at logs, nothing of note.  Rebooted modem, nothing.  Rebooted Orbi and all is back.  I had recently updated firmware to .104.

I've asked this before but just in case the answer has changed, are there any netgear tools I should be using?

help is here:

@FURRYe38 

@BoilerPlate 

@Ha_Ku_Na 

Good luck!

Message 2 of 34
Jroach
Luminary

vajim, thanks.  I've done a bit more research and starting to get the feeling that this could be a firmware issue.  

Does anybody have a favorite version that they would suggest?  

Message 3 of 34
vajim
Master

@Jroach wrote:

vajim, thanks.  I've done a bit more research and starting to get the feeling that this could be a firmware issue.  

Does anybody have a favorite version that they would suggest?  

Thanks

Reach out to one of the folks above.  I'm sure they can help you.

Message 4 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power OFF the ISP modem and RBR after the FW update? 

How about a factory reset as last resort? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Check NTP settings, try setting time.nist.gov instead of NGs server...

@Jroach wrote:

Message 5 of 34
Jroach
Luminary

Arris TM822.

I believe that I POR Orbi.  Not 100% certain.  Is there a log somewhere that I could review to see POR's, Firmware updates, Config changes?  I'm not seeing that info in the logs under "advance".

Message 6 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Most of the logs don't have much good troubleshooting information. And they get cleared I believe if a reboot, power OFF and reset are performed. 

Lets try a full power OFF of the modem and RBR then back on. IF this doesn't clear, try the reset on the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC. 

Be sure your using good quality and working LAN cable between the modem and RBR. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 7 of 34
Jroach
Luminary

I'll do  a full power off first.  Reset if it fails again.

Are there 3rd party tools to monitor these kind of issues?  

I'm always chasing my tail with Orbi, never knowing what the problem was and a POR/reboot is my "go to fix".   Would love to figure out: is my Orbi failing, is it an attached device, etc.

Message 8 of 34
vajim
Master

@Jroach wrote:

I'll do  a full power off first.  Reset if it fails again.

Are there 3rd party tools to monitor these kind of issues?  

I'm always chasing my tail with Orbi, never knowing what the problem was and a POR/reboot is my "go to fix".   Would love to figure out: is my Orbi failing, is it an attached device, etc.

if I may....or just simply bad firmware

Message 9 of 34
Jroach
Luminary

Could be.  Hard to tell, not many usable tools from NG to help people diagnose the issue.  Maybe its the same accross all brands.

Message 10 of 34
Jroach
Luminary

Failed again.

I noticed that on the "Basic" tab under "internet" status, it said GOOD.  When I click on "test" I get an error.  Speedtest from the "Advanced" menu, also doesn't work.  Wired or wireless, no go.

Question: I'm not certain what a factory reset and setup from the wizard buys me.  Would it be better to roll back to another version and if so, is there a recommendation as to what level?  I went to 104 to fix a security exposure. 

Just in case NG reads these....It's hard when your in the middle of watching a show or you have guests over and your streaming music or ???? and you have to stop and do PD on your home network.  

Message 11 of 34
Jroach
Luminary

vajim,  have you seen the MK83?  Are you going to ditch your Orbi for something else?  If so, what brands are you looking for?

Message 12 of 34
vajim
Master

@Jroach wrote:

vajim,  have you seen the MK83?  Are you going to ditch your Orbi for something else?  If so, what brands are you looking for?

I've read about the MK83

My Orbi is working for the most part.  I don't jump on firmware updates so my problems have been few compared to others on here that seem to need to get the latest firmware.

I have been considering the RBK852

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/rbk852/

Message 13 of 34
Jroach
Luminary

Is there a difference in firmware between the ObiRBx V1 and V2?

Message 14 of 34
vajim
Master

@Jroach wrote:

Is there a difference in firmware between the ObiRBx V1 and V2?

Yes, compare the data sheets:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK50.pdf

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK50v2.pdf

Message 15 of 34
Jroach
Luminary

vajim, thanks.  I understand the feature/physical differences but is there a firmware difference?

My orbi presented the .104 so I'm assuming it knew it was the right version.  I noticed that there is a .102 (older likely last version before .104) then a 2.6.1.40.  On the download page, I didn't see (release notes) where it said it was V1 or V2 Orbi.  Another user had good results backing up to 2.6.1.40 but when I saw the .102....  anyway....confused.

Message 16 of 34
vajim
Master

@Jroach wrote:

vajim, thanks.  I understand the feature/physical differences but is there a firmware difference?

My orbi presented the .104 so I'm assuming it knew it was the right version.  I noticed that there is a .102 (older likely last version before .104) then a 2.6.1.40.  On the download page, I didn't see (release notes) where it said it was V1 or V2 Orbi.  Another user had good results backing up to 2.6.1.40 but when I saw the .102....  anyway....confused.

my advice is find a firmware that is stable on your network and then LEAVE IT ALONE...PERIOD.

Message 17 of 34
Jroach
Luminary

I tend to do that but....for security I like to keep current which was why I updated to 104.  Even at the previous release I had issues.  With the lack of tools I end up rebooting at least once a week.  I don't think I have ever had a router that required so much attention but this is a different time, I likely have 4x more devices compared to when I first bought Orbi.  

Message 18 of 34
vajim
Master

@Jroach wrote:

I tend to do that but....for security I like to keep current which was why I updated to 104.  Even at the previous release I had issues.  With the lack of tools I end up rebooting at least once a week.  I don't think I have ever had a router that required so much attention but this is a different time, I likely have 4x more devices compared to when I first bought Orbi.  

netgear has a long history of how it passes its firmware

IMHO the issue of security is up to interpretation, but it's your system, do what makes you feel comfortable.  But I would think most people learn from making mistakes.

Message 19 of 34

Message 20 of 34
vajim
Master

Message 21 of 34
Jroach
Luminary

Thanks.  At least that adds some clarity as to what is going on.  Unfortunately "A" is the only option for me at my experience/fruistration level :).  

Message 22 of 34
Jroach
Luminary

Still conflicted on what Firmware version to roll back (.102 or the 2.6).  It doesn't appear that RBK V1 or 2 makes a difference regarding firmware.  

Message 23 of 34
vajim
Master

@Jroach wrote:

Still conflicted on what Firmware version to roll back (.102 or the 2.6).  It doesn't appear that RBK V1 or 2 makes a difference regarding firmware.  

unless you know which one was stable for you it's a crapshoot

go with the one(s) that display when you enter your model number in the download are above

Message 24 of 34

@Jroach wrote:

Thanks.  At least that adds some clarity as to what is going on.  Unfortunately "A" is the only option for me at my experience/fruistration level :).  

Try option F - It dones't require any technical skills, just a couple clicks in the GUI.

I haven't tried it (I did try the other options and I am currently using option D), but there are now more than half a dozen people who have inidcated this has worked for more than 15 hours of operation.

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7