Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50V tether issues

Carnilo
Aspirant

RBK50V tether issues

Hi

Im using RBK50V combo(router + satelite) and I am having issues with the WiFi from the satelite due to having thick concrete walls.

So I decided to fix this by tethering the router and the satelite.

But after having done this I get some very weird results in the Orbi app when I check the "Network map", for example:

* It shows that my mobile phone is connected by cable which is impossible

* It shows that my PC is connected by cable to the satelite when it in fact is connected to the router

* It shows that all devices is connected to the satelite and none to the router which is incorrect

And I can't say I noticed any real difference in the WiFi performance after tethering. I have turned Off daisy chain in the settings and rebooted the router, and the firmware is the latest on both units.

Any idea what could be the cause of this and how to fix it?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50V tether issues

@Carnilo wrote:

Hi

Im using RBK50V combo(router + satelite) and I am having issues with the WiFi from the satelite due to having thick concrete walls. Concrete and steel will impact signal travel and performances. 

So I decided to fix this by tethering the router and the satelite.

But after having done this I get some very weird results in the Orbi app when I check the "Network map", for example:

* It shows that my mobile phone is connected by cable which is impossible 

* It shows that my PC is connected by cable to the satelite when it in fact is connected to the router

* It shows that all devices is connected to the satelite and none to the router which is incorrect

Since you connected the RBS via ethernet cable to the RBR, whats connected on the RBS may appear as connected over a wired connection since the RBS no longer is connected via wireless, the backhaul status connection is now wired. 

And I can't say I noticed any real difference in the WiFi performance after tethering. I have turned Off daisy chain in the settings and rebooted the router, and the firmware is the latest on both units.

Any idea what could be the cause of this and how to fix it?

Message 2 of 4
Carnilo
Aspirant

So tethering the satelite to the router renders the Network map and the Device Manager in the app useless?

Is there anyway I can confirm that the satelite indeed is using the wired connection and not the wireless?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

No. 

Check the RBRs web page for status under Conected Devices. IT will show "Wired" and not 5G. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7