Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50V vs RBK50

nil3749
Aspirant

RBK50V vs RBK50

Hi All, 

I bought Oribi RBK50V hoping it is comparable to RBK50 with $100 less. It seems satelite in RBK50v has lower backhaul speed, and also wired connection speed limit of 100 MB/sec. I was hoping that Orbi mess will give better coverage and speed compared to my Xfinity ARRIS Modem-with-router. But I do not see much difference. 

Couple of thing I noticed were - (i) if I was 7 feets away from satelite and 25 feets away from router, it connected to router on 2.4 GHz channel. (ii) I was hoping better speed when wired to satelite, but it was other way around. (iii) you cannot disable or give different name to 2.4 GHz channel (ARRISS modem-with-router allows that).

I feel like satelite in RBK50v is lower capacity/range and almost useless. Should I spend $100 mre and go with RBK50 instead, so I do not need to worry if I am connect to router or satelite?

Appreciate all responses.

Thanks.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can change the preample to long and try. 

How far is the patio form the RBR or the RBS? 

Yes, the RBS40v will have a lower wireless backhaul rate of 866Mpbs. Thought should be good for normal usage and performance. 

WMM should be already enabled...just checking. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
The RBS40v's back haul is only rated at 866Mpbs. While the RBS50 is rated at 1733Mpbs. This all depends on distance, placement and building materials that can impact the connection rate seen between the RBS and RBR. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s)

Orbi systesm to not allow or support the separation of SSID name. These are wifi MESH systems which differ from non MESH wifi routers which don't have satellite devices that work in concert with the Orbi base router. 

Message 2 of 4
nil3749
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38, 

Thanks for your reply. I was waiting for making changes and test before replying. So, there was delay. 

Here I have included additional information. 

My Internet Service Provider is Xfinity, and modem-router is ARRIS TG1682G. 
My connection speed is - Download Speed: 200Mbps, Upload Speed: 5Mbps.

I changed my Xfinity modem/router to following settings and then to Bridge Mode.
2.4 GHz: 802.11 g,n - Channel # 1, 20 MHz
5 GHz: 802.11 a,n,ac - Channel # 36, 40 MHz

My Orbi details are: 
Router RBR50 - Firmware version: V2.5.1.16
Satellite RBS40V - Firmware version: V2.5.1.2

My house size is around 2600 sq ft. Wood floor. Both Router and Satellite are on first floor.
Satellite is placed at around 35 ft distance. When I powered on Satelite, it showed Blue light. So, connection is good.
I have around 5-6 wifi in neighborhood. 

Based on your suggestion, I changed Orbi setting as follows:
ADVANCED -> Setup -> Wireless Setup
-----------------------------------
2.4 GHz Channel: 6
5 GHZ Channel: 44
Security Option: WPA2-PSK
ADVANCED -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings
Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence: Unchecked
Preamble Mode: Short Preamble
Enable Daisy Chain Topology: unchecked
Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING: checked
Enable MU-MIMO: unchecked
Enable Fast Roaming: unchecked
ADVANCED -> Advanced Setup -> IPv6
IPv6: Disabled

After this, I see difference when conected to Satellite. But there is no difference when connected to Router. I see some drop now when I am outside in patio. Should I change Short Preamble to Long Preamble? Also, I did not see much improvement in basement. 

Overall, I see some improvement with Orbi over internet provider supplied modem/router, specifically when I am far.

Any further guidance is appreciated. 

Regards.
nil3749

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can change the preample to long and try. 

How far is the patio form the RBR or the RBS? 

Yes, the RBS40v will have a lower wireless backhaul rate of 866Mpbs. Thought should be good for normal usage and performance. 

WMM should be already enabled...just checking. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7