Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50v2 Ethernet Ports Not Working

jhkluger
Aspirant

RBK50v2 Ethernet Ports Not Working

I have a RBKv2 Orbi, with two RBS satellites, currently running latest firmware 2.7.3.22, as a router off my Xfinity Modem.  It has worked (mostly) fine for the last year, but suddenly the ethernet ports have stopped working on both the router and satellites (both of which are connected via ethernet backhaul cables).  WiFi 5G works fine. I have followed all of the advice on this forum regarding reboots of both the cable modem and also done a factory reset (2X) of both the router and the satellites. Any other suggestions?

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
jhkluger
Aspirant

Re: RBK50v2 Ethernet Ports Not Working

Just to close the loop on this, I finally discovered that there was an IP address conflict, caused by one of the devices plugged into a switch I was running off the RBR.  As long as that device is not plugged in, the system appears to be working well via Ethernet and WiFi. 

Thanks for your help (which was more useful than the official Netgear customer service team).

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 18

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Have you powered OFF the ISP Modem and RBR by pulling the power adapters from the wall socket for 1 minute then plug back in? 

Message 2 of 18
jhkluger
Aspirant

Yes, I have rebooted both the cable modem and the Orbi routers. We have an Xfinity XB6-T cable modem.

Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OFF the ISP Modem and RBR by pulling the power adapters from the wall socket for 1 minute then plug back in? 

Message 4 of 18
jhkluger
Aspirant

Yes, I unplugged the power adaptors for both the modem and RBK.  They still work only on WiFi and not via ethernet.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 5 of 18
jhkluger
Aspirant

I just read a Comcast community forum post from someone who was using an Orbi Router with an Xfinity modem, who said the modem should be in bridge mode, so that the Orbi is the only router. I have been operating with the Orbi router connected via Ethernet to the Xfinity modem that is in Router mode without a problem until now.  Should I switch to bridge mode?

Message 6 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

Message 7 of 18
jhkluger
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes.

I set the Xfinity modem to bridge mode and did a factory reset on the Orbi Router, but it is still operating only in WiFi mode and no devices work via Ethernet port.  Very frustrating...

Message 8 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

WiFi mode< Do you mean router mode after the reset? Or AP mode? 

Possible your RBR could have faulty LAN ports. 

Message 9 of 18
jhkluger
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

WiFi mode< Do you mean router mode after the reset? Or AP mode? 

Possible your RBR could have faulty LAN ports. 

The RBR is in Router Mode (NOT AP Mode). I just meant that the RBR router was working fine in 5G and 2.4 WiFi, just not ethernet.

While I would hate to have to buy a new Orbi, it would be actually be a relief to know this is a hardware problem (since I have spent so much time trying to fix it). 

Thanks for your help.

Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Do any PC or laptop ethernet connected to the back of the RBR get an IP address of 192.168.1.something or nothing appears? 

Message 11 of 18
jhkluger
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Do any PC or laptop ethernet connected to the back of the RBR get an IP address of 192.168.1.something or nothing appears? 

I tried to connect my PC directly to the back of the RBR, but it says there is no internet connection.  My wife's MAC is connected directly and has a 169.X. IP address.

Does it matter whether I enable Daisy Chain? 

Message 12 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, if the devices are getting a 169 IP address, this means that your PCs are failing to get a 192 IP address from the RBR and 169 is a self assigned IP address which after a given time period will appear if a standard IP address can't be detected or given by a router. So I presume that the RBRs LAN ports are bad. One other way to see if the LAN ports are bad or otherwise, configure AP mode on the RBR and connect it to a upstream router. Then connect a wired PC behind the RBR in AP mode, does the PC get an IP address from the upstream router thru the RBRs LAN ports? If no, then RBRs LAN ports are bad and it needs to be replaced. 

Message 13 of 18
jhkluger
Aspirant

Thanks. I just had a phone call with a Netgear support technician, who also concluded that the RBR LAN ports are bad. But, he was surprised, because he said he has never heard of this happening before, especially when all of the LAN ports on the device are failing. 

I will probably get a new unit, although I am not confident this will solve the problem. My instinct is that there is some issue between my Xfinity modem and the Orbi that is causing this, but I don't know how to diagnose that.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

One recommendation would be to give XFs back to the ISP and get into your own ISP modem. NGs CM series would be recommended. Since you have a wifi router already, you don't need a modem with built in router and wifi. Dump the ISP combo unit and get in to a modem only unit. Less hassle in dealing with ISP and router problems. 

Message 15 of 18
jhkluger
Aspirant

@jhkluger wrote:

Thanks. I just had a phone call with a Netgear support technician, who also concluded that the RBR LAN ports are bad. But, he was surprised, because he said he has never heard of this happening before, especially when all of the LAN ports on the device are failing. 

I will probably get a new unit, although I am not confident this will solve the problem. My instinct is that there is some issue between my Xfinity modem and the Orbi that is causing this, but I don't know how to diagnose that.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks. Will look into BYOD option. I also just found this thread on the Xfinity forum and wondering whether there is something in compatible between the Orbi and Xfinity device. https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/xb7-with-orbi-rbr50-and-rbs50-in-access-p...

Message 16 of 18
jhkluger
Aspirant

Just to close the loop on this, I finally discovered that there was an IP address conflict, caused by one of the devices plugged into a switch I was running off the RBR.  As long as that device is not plugged in, the system appears to be working well via Ethernet and WiFi. 

Thanks for your help (which was more useful than the official Netgear customer service team).

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found the problem. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7