Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53; Access Control MAC-Filtering and wired clients

Markus53
Tutor

RBK53; Access Control MAC-Filtering and wired clients

I try to set up my new RBK53. I have one question or one problem with Access Control.

I have activated Access Control with MAC-Filtering, i also checked "Block all new devices from connecting". So i can or have to enter the MAC-Addresses to allow clients to connect to my network. This works so far. All Clients connected via WIFI must be allowed by MAC address. BUT this also is the case for all clients that are connected via wire.

In my old router MAC-Filtering only was active or used with WIFI connections and not with wire/cable connection. MAC-Filtering for wired clients seem not to make sense as the clients must have pyhiscal access to my router and LAN ports.

so my question: can i use MAC filtering on my ORBI network only for WIFI clients or does MAC filtering apply to all clients, regardless connection (WIFI, wired)?

Thank you

Markus

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
Markus53
Tutor

Betreff: RBK53; Access Control MAC-Filtering and wired clients

I am in router mode!

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

"MAC filtering apply to all clients, regardless connection (WIFI, wired)"

Message 3 of 6
Markus53
Tutor

it would be great if this only applies to wireless clients. when i plug in an ethernat cable the client as phyiscal access to my room and my network. so i don't need any additional security layer. i want to have mac filtering enabled for wireless clients.

Markus

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 6
swm2win
Aspirant

I know this sounds goofy, and it’s admittedly a complex family issue on my side, but I’m actually wishing for the opposite - the ability to allow new wireless clients that have the password, but block new wired connections that haven’t been explicitly allowed.

I have a situation where there can be access to a satellite, and an unauthorized user could plug in. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7