Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53 - Clarification on Ethernet Backhaul Set-Up

ElCapo
Luminary

RBK53 - Clarification on Ethernet Backhaul Set-Up

Hi

i am hoping someone can help me clear up some questions regarding the setting up of my RBK53 Orbi router and two sateliites in an Ethernet Backhaul configuration.  I have looked at the link below and read many posts on this site and others by don’t seem to get a clear view on how I connect to my home network.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

My setup at up at home is a broadband router with 4 x LAN ports that are then connected to various small 1gps netgear switches throughout my house.  Some of these switches daisy chain out to other rooms with switches so it is not a clean star topology.  My Orbi router is currently connected directly into broadband router in AP mode via the yellow WAN port.  The satellites are then wirelessly connected to the router.

i have three key questions that I am looking to get clarified:

1/ with the running of a couple of cables I should be able to get the setup as per the 3rd diagram at the link above, i.e. all connected to a single netgear switch into the Orbi LAN ports.  My question then Is, how should I connect the broadband network to my Orbi devices.  Should I:

a) run a cable from my broadband router into the yellow WAN port on the Orbi router?

b) run a cable from my broadband router into another LAN port on the Orbi router and ignore the yellow WAN port?

c) run a cable from my broadband router into the same switch I am connecting my Orbi devices to and ignore the yellow WAN port?

2/ assuming the above gets answered and I get it all working ok.  Can I then run cables from my Orbi satellites into my other netgear switches to continue my network daisy chain to other rooms?

3/ before setting up the Ethernet Backhaul should I factory reset the satellites so that they lose their wireless configuration or do i leave as they are and will they just work out that they are connected via Ethernet and stop trying to create a wireless Backhaul?

i hope this is all clear and I look forward to your support.

cheers

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 32

Accepted Solutions
ElCapo
Luminary

OK..

Just touching base after a couple of weeks of testing.

As soon as I changed to Firmware 2.1.3.4 I was able to set up the Ethernet Backhaul.  A quick check with IPERF3 showed good speeds across the network both wireless and wired.  So far since last update everything has been stable.

Couple of points:

- My Orbi Router (in AP Mode) is connected to my Broadband Router via Ethernet into the Yellow WAN port

- My 2 x Orbi Satellites are connected to the Broadband Router via daisy chained un-managed switches

- After setting up the two satellites wirelessly first, then moving one by one to Ethernet I did see their IP addresses on the Router Conntection Page flick between 192.168.1.x (x being the actual address) and 192.168.1.250.  Once I restarted each device this ceased to happen and they settled on the 192.168.1.x address.

Thanks to all support on this post.

View solution in original post

Message 29 of 32

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

My setup at up at home is a broadband router with 4 x LAN ports that are then connected to various small 1gps netgear switches throughout my house.  Some of these switches daisy chain out to other rooms with switches so it is not a clean star topology.  My Orbi router is currently connected directly into broadband router in AP mode via the yellow WAN port.  The satellites are then wirelessly connected to the router.

What is the Mfr and model of these switches? If they are managed switches, these can cause problems between the Satellite and Router when connecte. NON-Managed switches are preferred. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP Modem? 

1/ with the running of a couple of cables I should be able to get the setup as per the 3rd diagram at the link above, i.e. all connected to a single netgear switch into the Orbi LAN ports.  My question then Is, how should I connect the broadband network to my Orbi devices.  Should I:

a) run a cable from my broadband router into the yellow WAN port on the Orbi router? YES

b) run a cable from my broadband router into another LAN port on the Orbi router and ignore the yellow WAN port? NO

c) run a cable from my broadband router into the same switch I am connecting my Orbi devices to and ignore the yellow WAN port? NO

The Orbi router is the central connection point for internet and your Satellites and other devices. 

2/ assuming the above gets answered and I get it all working ok.  Can I then run cables from my Orbi satellites into my other netgear switches to continue my network daisy chain to other rooms? I havn't tried this however it should be possible if you have the ethernet connected for back haul. I have 1 ethernet connected PC and 1 wireless bridge connected to my remote Satellite. 

3/ before setting up the Ethernet Backhaul should I factory reset the satellites so that they lose their wireless configuration or do i leave as they are and will they just work out that they are connected via Ethernet and stop trying to create a wireless Backhaul? Try just connecting 1 Satellite up with ethernet first. When I did this, it took about 1-2 minutes for the Satellite to re-configure the system and get back online. Give it time. It should automatically change configuration. If it doesn't then try a reset. 

Message 2 of 32
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi,

Thanks for responding, my broadband is a huawei router. The switches are netgear GS608 so pretty certain they are unmanaged.

I will try today as you have advised by using the yellow wan. Will report back on findings.

Thanks
Message 3 of 32
WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

For my backhaul I set-up my satellites wirelessly (and let it stabalize for a few minutes).  I took a staggered approach and turned off one of the satellites, plug the ethernet into that satellite, turned the satellite back on, waited for it to connect (and let it stabalize for a few mintues).  After it stabalized I went to the next satellite and repeated the process.

I had daisy chaining turned off because I didn't need it. (i set-up the satellites wirelessly in the same room, turned one off and moved it to its permanent location, plugged in the ethernet and then turned it pack on.)

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 4 of 32
ElCapo
Luminary

Ok... so I am still struggling.

i have my broadband router connect to the yellow wan port.

i then run an Ethernet cable from my first lan port on the Orbi router to the first lan port on my netgear switch.

i then run an Ethernet cable from my 2nd lan port on the switch to the orbi satellite.

(I have temporarily turned off the other orbi satellite.)

The satellite does connect as wired, but it only shows as a connected device, not as a connected satellite.  Also the address seems to jump from being 192.168.1.4 (which I can connect to) and 192.168.1.250 (which I can’t).

it does seem to be behaving as a extended AP as I can log into it and see it has wireless devices connected, but I think that is still via its wireless settings.

I did try and factory reset the satellite but this does not seem to fix the problem and I do sometimes see it still connected as a satellite over 5g which makes me think the reset did not really work.

I am also not seeing anything on the main web page to show Backhaul has even been configured.

any thoughts?  Should I factory reset everything including the orbi router?

cheers

Message 5 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a full factory reset with all units. Set the the router and 1 Satellite first using wifi. After they are set up and running. Connect the ethernet cable between the Satellite and the router. Give a few minutes for the system to reconfigure things.

Message 6 of 32
ElCapo
Luminary

Thanks, will try once I have an empty house and care dare take the WiFi down!

should I expect to see the satellite as a connect satellite with wired Backhaul on the config screen?  I saw a screen shot on a forum somewhere that did that I think.

i guess I am asking what does “Right” look like when I log into the router?

Message 7 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes after it's set up and it's fully configured, it will show Wired Backhaul.

Message 8 of 32
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi

Quick follow up question.
Where you have it working, are you using a switch between the orbI router and the satellite? Your wording a few posts ago read perhaps you were connecting them direct.
Secondly, would you suggest the scenario where they all connect via a switch is daisy chain or not? I currently don’t have that enabled.

Cheers
Message 9 of 32
WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

mine seems to be working great.  I have daisy chain off.  I have 3 satellites (via cat5e) that go into a switch.  That switch goes into my Uverse residential gateway.  My orbi router is in AP mode and also plugs into a different ethernet port on my uverse resdidential gateway.

Message 10 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

I have two swithces between router and my one satellite.

@ElCapowrote:
Hi

Quick follow up question.
Where you have it working, are you using a switch between the orbI router and the satellite? Your wording a few posts ago read perhaps you were connecting them direct.
Secondly, would you suggest the scenario where they all connect via a switch is daisy chain or not? I currently don’t have that enabled.

Cheers

Message 11 of 32
ElCapo
Luminary

Thanks for responses guys...

if if I may be a bit more specific WAP, that sounds almost exactly like my setup.  On the orbi router to your residential gateway, is that connected to your yellow WAN port, or one of the orbi router lan ports.

also, did you connect all the satellites wirelessly first then simply plug the Ethernet cables in and let the configure-write itself.

i feel I am missing something really simple on my set up but I can’t see what it is.

cheers

Message 12 of 32
brenth
Star

My understanding is that, when using ethernet backhaul and another router, the yellow WAN port on the router is not used.  The Orbi router is connected to your current router or switch from one of the LAN ports and then the satellites are connected.

Like illustrated in the KB you refrenced...

Message 13 of 32
ElCapo
Luminary

Well this is where the confusion lies, some say yes, Flurry on this topic says no.

I am looking to understand the exact set up of a working solution and then replicate.

Message 14 of 32
brenth
Star

My personal experience was that it was necessary to use a LAN port rather than WAN port on the router, but it may have been something unique to the firmware at the time.  I switched back to wifi backhaul since the locations of ethernet jacks in my house weren't optimal for placement of the satellites.

Message 15 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP Modem?

If this has a router here and has not been disabled and set up for bridge mode, you can either use the DMZ option here for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem and use the Orbi router in router mode, or don't use the DMZ on the modem and use the modem as your main host router and use the Orbi router in AP mode. AP you can use either the wan or LAN port to connect the orbi router to the modem. If you have the orbi router in router mode, you have to use the WAN port to connect to the ISP modem.

Message 16 of 32
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi 

my modem / router is Huawei 963168_HUAWEIVOX25

It does have the option to set up the remote host / dmz, which I am a little nervous to do, especially having had a little read up on it.  But I take your point that in AP mode it does not matter what port I use on the orbi router.

Message 17 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

DMZ would be only if you wanted to try the Orbi system in router mode. Don't use it for AP mode.

Let us know how it all works out for you. You have your suggestions.

Message 18 of 32
WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

•for my uverse, connection between uverse gateway and orbi router is the yellow wan port.

•configured all the satellites wirelessly, unplugged one, moved to new location, plugged in ethernet and then turned on and waited for a few minutes for things to stabalize and then unplugged the next satellite and repeated the above procedure.

•I used static IP for my orbi router only (192.168.1.50)

Message 19 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

All that working for you?

@WAPwrote:

•for my uverse, connection between uverse gateway and orbi router is the yellow wan port.

•configured all the satellites wirelessly, unplugged one, moved to new location, plugged in ethernet and then turned on and waited for a few minutes for things to stabalize and then unplugged the next satellite and repeated the above procedure.

•I used static IP for my orbi router only (192.168.1.50)

Message 20 of 32
ElCapo
Luminary

Well I am about to have to give up again having spent another night at it.  family going made at me for WiFi being down 😞

i am positive I am missing something stupid but I don’t know what it is.

i factory reset everything in, went through the normal set up process with the router.  Added only one satellite wirelessly during the setup process.

switched the set up to AP mode which you have to do after the initial set up process.

i then tried to unplug the satellite, plug in Ethernet and then power back up the satellite.

i then sit there watching the attached devices in the desperate hope satelite may appear in attached satellites field as backhaul, but it only appears in attached devices and the IP address keeps changing from 192.168.1.4 and 192.168.1.250

the moment I unplug the Ethernet cable the ip goes back to 192.168.1.4 and it shows as an attached satellite with 5g connection.

i have tried the cables through my switch and I have tried daisy chain from on router to the next.  I have tried with yellow port, without yellow port, if I had a blue port I would try that too but I dont🤫.  I really don’t know what else to try.

interestingly, even when the address shows as 250 in attached devices I can still connect to .4 on a browser.  I am convinced it is still trying to connect wirelessly and gets its knickers in a complete twist.

any ideas......

Message 21 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Well you don't have to turn OFF the Satellite before you plug in the ethernet cable. I didn't and mine set up in about 2 minutes after I plugged in the cable.

Can you use the Orbi in router mode and see if the operation is different? Set up the DMZ on the ISP modem for the routers IP address. Disable uPnP and wireless if any, on the modem.

Other features disabled? Im only using Beamforming. 40feet between router and satellite.

Does the system run ok with out using the ethernet cable. Ensure LAN cables are of good quality and CAT6.

Message 22 of 32
ElCapo
Luminary

I tried all sorts to be honest. What is interesting to me is that I get the same experience no matter how I do it or it what order.  The satellite gets mixed up with the 250 ip address.

i may give router mode a go although I wanted to avoid messing with my broadband router if possible.

the cables are cat6 or cat 5e, tried different ones.  My WiFi on the modem router is off.

thanks for the support on this, I am sure eventually I will get it working, perhaps...maybe....

you asked about in wireless set up, I have had some issues which is why I am trying Ethernet.  I am trying to isolate the issue when in wireless mode, it seems related to a DFS radar issue in the log, I feel that may have something to do with being close to my Sonos system, so I have moved the satellite away to see if that makes a difference.

i am seriously thinking of returning and just trying another make and model of the same sort of thing.

Message 23 of 32
ElCapo
Luminary

FFS!!!!  

i was just reading a few posts and noticed that Ethernet Backhaul is supported on version 2.1.xxx

i am on version 2.0.14

is this the problem?  I just assumed as I updated the firmware on install that it would pick up the latest version!!!!

can anyone advise what version is stable and that works and I will give that a go!

i knew it may be a simple problem.

doh!

Message 24 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try with out the Sonos being online or ON. Turn it OFF. these have there own wifi broadcast.

I would try router mode and use input the IP address it gets into the modems DMZ. Set up the router first. I would do this, just run the router alone for a bit. See if you notice any issues with any if your devices.

What neighbors are near by and what channels are they using? If any?

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7