Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53 - Clarification on Ethernet Backhaul Set-Up

tagteam
Virtuoso

You can try the new beta firmware since quite a few users have posted that it is stable.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1533584#M26234%C2%A0

Message 26 of 32
ElCapo
Luminary

Quick reply.

updated to 2.1.3.4

wired backhaul appears to have worked ok.  Am still testing the setup but things looking ok so far.

both satellites had a little trouble initially after plugging in cable, flicking between IP address of .3 or .4 (depending on the device) and .250.  However full reboots of each have stopped this for the time being.

will continue to test over the next few days then come back and report this closed and resolved.

Apologies for making the mistake on the firmware, I just assumed that when you auto update it would install the latest and greatest.  Thanks for all your support.

oh by the way....router plugged into yellow WAN port 😉

Message 27 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it seems to be working better. Ya, I thought you had already updated. hehe. 

Keep us posted. Should be good now. 

@ElCapowrote:

Quick reply.

updated to 2.1.3.4

wired backhaul appears to have worked ok.  Am still testing the setup but things looking ok so far.

both satellites had a little trouble initially after plugging in cable, flicking between IP address of .3 or .4 (depending on the device) and .250.  However full reboots of each have stopped this for the time being.

will continue to test over the next few days then come back and report this closed and resolved.

Apologies for making the mistake on the firmware, I just assumed that when you auto update it would install the latest and greatest.  Thanks for all your support.

oh by the way....router plugged into yellow WAN port 😉

Message 28 of 32
ElCapo
Luminary

OK..

Just touching base after a couple of weeks of testing.

As soon as I changed to Firmware 2.1.3.4 I was able to set up the Ethernet Backhaul.  A quick check with IPERF3 showed good speeds across the network both wireless and wired.  So far since last update everything has been stable.

Couple of points:

- My Orbi Router (in AP Mode) is connected to my Broadband Router via Ethernet into the Yellow WAN port

- My 2 x Orbi Satellites are connected to the Broadband Router via daisy chained un-managed switches

- After setting up the two satellites wirelessly first, then moving one by one to Ethernet I did see their IP addresses on the Router Conntection Page flick between 192.168.1.x (x being the actual address) and 192.168.1.250.  Once I restarted each device this ceased to happen and they settled on the 192.168.1.x address.

Thanks to all support on this post.

Message 29 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working well. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@ElCapo wrote:

OK..

Just touching base after a couple of weeks of testing.

As soon as I changed to Firmware 2.1.3.4 I was able to set up the Ethernet Backhaul.  A quick check with IPERF3 showed good speeds across the network both wireless and wired.  So far since last update everything has been stable.

Couple of points:

- My Orbi Router (in AP Mode) is connected to my Broadband Router via Ethernet into the Yellow WAN port

- My 2 x Orbi Satellites are connected to the Broadband Router via daisy chained un-managed switches

- After setting up the two satellites wirelessly first, then moving one by one to Ethernet I did see their IP addresses on the Router Conntection Page flick between 192.168.1.x (x being the actual address) and 192.168.1.250.  Once I restarted each device this ceased to happen and they settled on the 192.168.1.x address.

Thanks to all support on this post.

Message 30 of 32
OrbiOrtho
Aspirant

hello , 

I 've ethernet wire everywhere . 

when i buyed my Orbi RBK 500 , the ethernet backhaul was not activated . ( first firmware)

so i wired my two orbi and i set up as a classical 2 Wifi acces point. 

But i ve updated the firmware that enabled the backhaul. 

all my orbi are wire connected to my router and switch , 

and i woul 'd like to know , how i can set up or enable the backhaul protocol to optimize my wifi? 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 31 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

When ethernet backhaul is connected, then wireless on the Satellites is just wireless in AP mode for client devices. Theres no configuration to optimize wifi back haul since ethernet back haul is enabled.

@OrbiOrtho wrote:

hello , 

I 've ethernet wire everywhere . 

when i buyed my Orbi RBK 500 , the ethernet backhaul was not activated . ( first firmware)

so i wired my two orbi and i set up as a classical 2 Wifi acces point. 

But i ve updated the firmware that enabled the backhaul. 

all my orbi are wire connected to my router and switch , 

and i woul 'd like to know , how i can set up or enable the backhaul protocol to optimize my wifi? 

Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7