Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53 Daisy Chain

snoopy77
Aspirant

RBK53 Daisy Chain

I have purchased athe RBK53 with 1 Router and 2 Satelittes. Does anyone know if you can ethernet from one Satelite to another via ethernet. I have tried it and it seems work fine but I can't find any info to say that this is the way it can work. I can see people say you need to ethernet from both satelites to the router.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Mstrbig
Master

@snoopy77 wrote:
I'll assume you can also plug an ethernet cable from a satellite into an RJ45 socket which can go straight to the Netgear router or switch?

Not a Netgear regular router but yes a Netgear Orbi router. The RBS satellites have to be connected to an Orbi router.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

@snoopy77 wrote:

I have purchased athe RBK53 with 1 Router and 2 Satelittes. Does anyone know if you can ethernet from one Satelite to another via ethernet. I have tried it and it seems work fine but I can't find any info to say that this is the way it can work. I can see people say you need to ethernet from both satelites to the router.

Yes you can with no issues.

My personal setup is Orbi router connected to ISP modem. switch connected to Orbi router. Sat 1 connected to switch. Sat 2 connected to Sat 1. Switch connected to Sat 2. Various wired devices connected to both switches. Total  of 23+ wired and wireless devices, consisting of PCs, tablets, phones, printers, TVs, Android box, Firestick, Receiver, blueray, Alexa and more.

Message 2 of 8
snoopy77
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response. My setup is similair to yours but I will be using the ISP to the Router with Sat-1 connecting wireless back the Router and then ethernet cable from Sat-2 to Sat-1 and as I say that worked fine.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to check distance between the units. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Enjoy,

Message 4 of 8
snoopy77
Aspirant

If I created a star topology wiring each satellite back to the router, do you have to hard wire direct into router or can they go into a switch that's in front of the router?
Message 5 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

@snoopy77 wrote:
If I created a star topology wiring each satellite back to the router, do you have to hard wire direct into router or can they go into a switch that's in front of the router?

You can go to a switch in between the router and satellite. That's how mine is. I have an RBR50 connected to the ISP modem. 

Message 6 of 8
snoopy77
Aspirant

I'll assume you can also plug an ethernet cable from a satellite into an RJ45 socket which can go straight to the Netgear router or switch?
Message 7 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

@snoopy77 wrote:

Not a Netgear regular router but yes a Netgear Orbi router. The RBS satellites have to be connected to an Orbi router.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7