Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53 - Often Rebooting

MartinZo
Tutor

Hi,
I ebcountered several internet disconnections again starting yesterday 18:14 as mentioned earlier. There was one in the log file at 00:17 tonight again.
Another one around 15:13 today and another one at 21:13 tonight.
It is crazy somehow, it is always around a quarter if an hour after a full hour when this occurs, most often are 21:13, 21:14...etc.
I don’t t live near any big power plants, electric radiation or any big vibrations coming from anywhere (train or something going by), I don‘t have anY timers set in the house or other automated and repeated functions, no lights flickering or other electric peaks that repeat at the same time each and every day. Why does this sh..... internet connection get lost around the same time almost every day...no clue. I feel like a mad man in the mean time...and absolutely help- and clueless...

I started collecting the disconnections logs in a doc file just to make sure.
Will talk to the ISP again, but he probably thinks that I‘m an idiot too...when I tell him/her about the reoccurrences...
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 26 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you configure the RBR for router mode then set up the modem/routers DMZ for the RBR in router mode. See if anything changes. 

I'd test the RBR at a different location as well, i.e. friend, neighbor or families place to see if the problem follows or not. Help rule out any problems at the ISP modem/router. 

Message 27 of 44
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi MartinZo,

Good day!

We are sorry to hear that the internet still dropping even with the new modem. Please DM us your email address, phone number, and preferred call back date and time so we can have our Level 2 contact you for further assistance. 

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 28 of 44
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Can you configure the RBR for router mode then set up the modem/routers DMZ for the RBR in router mode. See if anything changes. 

I'd test the RBR at a different location as well, i.e. friend, neighbor or families place to see if the problem follows or not. Help rule out any problems at the ISP modem/router. 

Looks like a real forum moderator has got this for action.

Message 29 of 44
MartinZo
Tutor

Hi,
You mean I should configure the RBR50 in router mode first, then configure the ISP cable vodafone modem in AP (they call it bridge mode) and test again.
Otherwise I would have to Routers which would give me double NAT.
I will try that, when it hits me again.
Thanks!
Message 30 of 44
MartinZo
Tutor

Good morning,
Can you tell me how to DM you the data? Address?
I don‘t want to post anything like that here.
Thank you.
Martin
Message 31 of 44
CrimpOn
Guru

@MartinZo wrote:
Good morning,
Can you tell me how to DM you the data? Address?
I don‘t want to post anything like that here.

I believe he is using DM (Direct Message?) to refer to the "Private Message" feature of the forum.

Click on his screen name @olympos1625 and this will bring up a page where you can create a Private Message and include that information.

Message 32 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, use the ISP Modem in router mode along with the RBR in router mode. Use the modems DMZ to use for the RBR in router mode as this will help with double NAT. 

Just select the forum moderators name link and it will take you to there forum page and you'll see a button to send them a private message. Hopefully they can help you with this. Ask about an RMA if needed. 

@MartinZo wrote:
Hi,
You mean I should configure the RBR50 in router mode first, then configure the ISP cable vodafone modem in AP (they call it bridge mode) and test again.
Otherwise I would have to Routers which would give me double NAT.
I will try that, when it hits me again.
Thanks!

Message 33 of 44
MartinZo
Tutor

Hi, thanks again for the courtesy and giving replies so quickly and often!
I‘m not sure what you mean with the DMZ configuration of the orbi Router side. I know how to switch on router mode but haven’t dives in deeper there yet. Could you walk me there in a little more detail please. Thank you!
Message 34 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

When the modem and Orbi router are in router mode, you can use the modems DMZ in it's web page for the IP address it gives to the RBR in router mode. Input this IP address into the modems DMZ. You can find this IP address on the RBRs web page under Advanced tab. 

Message 35 of 44
MartinZo
Tutor

Hi Furry,

actually I don't feel capable of doing that and I don't really want to use the configuration that way just to try.

In my opinion the system is set up ok and should work that way since that is the recommended setup everywhere.

There is a ISP cable modem acting as a router and there is a orbi system in AP mode w/ 2 satellites. The cable router has separate wifi (ok one risk understood) but the channels 2.4GhZ are different on the Orbi system and everything else is set up like it should be in a lot of other households around the world. Nothing weird no other switches, repeaters or other things, just normal apple devices, windows laptops and macs, apple tv, normal TV etc. connected via WIFI. The security set up is WPA2-PSK (AES) which I understand is the most secure way to go.

I really, really appreciate your help furry (!) but I am tired of doing the try and error thing over and over again. 

My system just lost internet connection right around the same time as so often..here is a copy/paste from the last logs...The days before had been good.

Just to let you know again, I tried different plugs for the ISP modem on different power cycles/areas in the house. No difference, so not a power disconnect issue.

So here are some of the 21:10 to 21:15 logs of the past days (unbelievable isn't it)

[Internet disconnected] Friday, February 19, 2021 21:12:21

[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.0.121, Friday, February 19, 2021 21:16:02

[Internet disconnected] Wednesday, February 24, 2021 21:12:34

[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.0.120, Wednesday, February 24, 2021 21:16:06

I will talk to the ISP provider and if they can't help any further or with exchanging the ISP modem I will contact OLIVER (Netgear) by DM and ask for their help. If that doesn't help I will switch to a different supplier even if it cost me 500 Euro for the Orbi System not usable anymore and a new cost me another couple of hundred bucks. Even if it's only a every now and then thing it is really annoying me/us. 

Thanks and have a great day!

Martin

Message 36 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Well it would be a valid troubleshooting step to see if this is a Orbi problem or a ISP service problem. Up to you though. 

Good Luck. 

Message 37 of 44
MartinZo
Tutor

Hi Furry, thank you!

I‘m pretty sure that it is coming from the ISP side.

Question about:
‚ When the modem and Orbi router are in router mode, you can use the modems DMZ in it's web page for the IP address it gives to the RBR in router mode. Input this IP address into the modems DMZ. You can find this IP address on the RBRs web page under Advanced tab.‘
Question 1:
So The following steps:
1. Set Orbi RBR to Router Mode
2. look up the IP adress in the advanced tab.
3. go to ISP modem 192.168.0.1 web page and input this IP adress there (if I find where to do this there).
4. see what happens.

Question 2:
Would it be valid to set up the following from your perspective:
1. Put RBR in Router mode
2. Set ISP Vodafone cable modem to Bridge Mode

This would make the Orbi System the only Router (basically vice versa to the current setup) and hence the Orbi would handle all the DHCP of the 20 odd devices.
However: I cannot use the WIFi of the ISP cable modem anymore then when the ISP vodafone modem is in bridge mode and this would cut off the basement from WIFI (my son‘s area) .

Solution?: add more orbi satellites (very expensive) or run a second OrbiRBK53 system, which then would probably have to be in AP mode again, so setup then:
ISP modem = Router (but Wifi turned off),
1st OrbiRbk53/RBR50 Lan connected to the ISP modem as Access Point AP1 for the first floor,
2nd Orbi also lan connected to the ISP modem as AP2.

Would that be a better setup though very expensive again?
Cheers
Message 38 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

@MartinZo wrote:
Hi Furry, thank you!

I‘m pretty sure that it is coming from the ISP side.

Question about:
‚ When the modem and Orbi router are in router mode, you can use the modems DMZ in it's web page for the IP address it gives to the RBR in router mode. Input this IP address into the modems DMZ. You can find this IP address on the RBRs web page under Advanced tab.‘
Question 1:
So The following steps:
1. Set Orbi RBR to Router Mode
2. look up the IP adress in the advanced tab.
3. go to ISP modem 192.168.0.1 web page and input this IP adress there (if I find where to do this there).
4. see what happens.
Yes.

Question 2:
Would it be valid to set up the following from your perspective:
1. Put RBR in Router mode
2. Set ISP Vodafone cable modem to Bridge Mode
Yes.
This would make the Orbi System the only Router (basically vice versa to the current setup) and hence the Orbi would handle all the DHCP of the 20 odd devices. Yes.
However: I cannot use the WIFi of the ISP cable modem anymore then when the ISP vodafone modem is in bridge mode and this would cut off the basement from WIFI (my son‘s area) .
Move a RBS closeer to this area or install a RBS40v or EX7700/8000 into this area.

Solution?: add more orbi satellites (very expensive) or run a second OrbiRBK53 system, which then would probably have to be in AP mode again, so setup then:
ISP modem = Router (but Wifi turned off),
1st OrbiRbk53/RBR50 Lan connected to the ISP modem as Access Point AP1 for the first floor,
2nd Orbi also lan connected to the ISP modem as AP2.

Would that be a better setup though very expensive again?

Message 39 of 44
MartinZo
Tutor

Hi guys,
Haven‘t been here for a while but the same problem is still here, internet cut offs from time to time, often at the exact same time, mostly between 21:10 and 21:13....sometimes also during the day but only sporadically in comparison.

Since my last posts I have made some steps and finally turned off WIFI on the ISP vodafone side now. Thus the vodafone modem is a router with lan only connection to my orbi system router rbr50 and I have now added another satellite to the orbi system (expensive). Makes it 1xRouter RBR50, 3xRBS50 Satellites and about 24 clients max iphone, pads, macs and other wifi connected house appliances.
Orbi is in AP mode of course!

But: cut offs are still happening...so obviously it wasn‘t related to the interference of the former 2 separate WIFI‘s - pretty clear now!
Everything else remained pretty much as standard in the configuration, most of the ticks in the boxes in the orbi settings such as mumimode etc are made.

I still believe it is some problem or general switching on the ISP side that leads to the brief internet connection losses on the ISP modem and then as a consequence to the orbi trying to reestablish the internet connection on the router and satellites plus clients ( takes about 5mins unfortunately each time ...)
Any new clues? Should I set the orbi to router mode and switch the ISP modem side to so called bridge mode? Would that potentially make things better?

Or should I again bug vodafone and ask for help there, raise another case there ...obviously they habdn’t been able to find anything before or didn‘t want to admit...I‘m hopeless as you can read...
Cheers Martin
Message 40 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

See if the ISP can help you get the modem into bridge mode. Also have them check the signal up to the modem. If the modem is fialing here then this would need to be corrected. 

Try a different modem. 

Message 41 of 44
MartinZo
Tutor

Hello all,

I was able to switch the ISP vodafone modem to bridge mode and the Orbi System (1xRRr50,3xRBS50) to Router mode.
The Orbi Router got its open IP after the reboot and is now acting as the one and only router of the system.
Let‘s wait and see what happens now, whether the reboots stil occur or not!
Will let you know!
Viele Grüße,
Martin
Message 42 of 44
MartinZo
Tutor

RBK53 - Often Rebooting

Hi All,

Good News!!

Just another brief update after 2 more weeks of running my Orbi RBK53 system (1 router, 3 satellites) as the router and the ISP vodafone modem in bridge mode.

The situation has changed completely, no more reboots or let‘s say disconnections from the internet.
The system is now comparatively rock solid!

I’ve only experienced one obvious total reboot and another one time disconnect of one of the three satellites which only could be fixed by a forced reboot of the router by myself.

Nothing to cheer up really, but the system seems stable and to be performing well ever since I’ve made the router/bridge mode swap around between ISP modem and Orbi. Thank you for all your help!

So...to all German Vodafone customers out there using the vodafone standard cable modem and a Orbi RBK System 5x:

Better switch your vodafone ISP modem to bridge mode (can be done by yourself via vodafone’s internet portal login) and then run the orbi system as the only router of the network.
Be careful when switching to bridge on the vodafone side though:
Make sure you switch your Orbi Router to Router Mode first (i.e. you will have two Routers and double NAT then for a short time) and then secondly and immediately switch the ISP Modem from Router to Bridge Mode in the vodafone internet portal! Manually reboot both and then it should work! Did it for me!

Otherwise you‘d be locking out yourself...probably not knowing how to help yourself then...

I will continue to watch the performance of my system and will let you knoe as soon as I experience anything....
Happy for now!

Cheers
Martin
Message 43 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Make sure you do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Please mark you thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7