Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK53 — Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System - how to connect the router to AT&T mobile hotspot

Ramroka
Aspirant

RBK53 — Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System - how to connect the router to AT&T mobile hotspot

Hi - i have purchsed an Orbi RBR53|AC3000 tri-band wifi system (1 RBR50 router + 2 satellites) to extend the wifi range outside my house. I have an AT&T mobile hotspot through which i connect to the internet and all my devies are connected via wifi to the mobile hotspot. I do not have wired internet access as my area is not in the service area of ISPs.

1) I realize that the only way to get internet to the orbi router is through an ethernet cable. Is this correct?

2) Is there a way to connect the orbi router to mobile hotspot? 

3) If RBR53 is not the right product for my usecase, any suggestions of other products i should use?

Thanx 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK53 — Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System - how to connect the router to AT&T mobile hotspot

Yes, the Orbi must connect to the Internet through an Ethernet cable.  There are cellular modems which provide an Ethernet connection for just this purpose.  For example, this one from Netgear: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-LTE-Modem-Broadband-Connection/dp/B01N5ASNTE/ref=asc_df_B01N5ASNTE/?t...

It claims to work with AT&T.  My guess is you would move the SIM card from your AT&T hotspot to a device like this.  (I have no personal experience with such modems.)

A mobile "hot spot" which is intended to provide WiFi to nearby devices, is a different product which is not intended to connect to a WiFi system like the Orbi.  Not a chance.

Whether Orbi is the right WiFi product depends on how much of a "footprint" you want to create and what expectations you have about performance.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK53 — Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System - how to connect the router to AT&T mobile hotspot

Yes, the Orbi must connect to the Internet through an Ethernet cable.  There are cellular modems which provide an Ethernet connection for just this purpose.  For example, this one from Netgear: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-LTE-Modem-Broadband-Connection/dp/B01N5ASNTE/ref=asc_df_B01N5ASNTE/?t...

It claims to work with AT&T.  My guess is you would move the SIM card from your AT&T hotspot to a device like this.  (I have no personal experience with such modems.)

A mobile "hot spot" which is intended to provide WiFi to nearby devices, is a different product which is not intended to connect to a WiFi system like the Orbi.  Not a chance.

Whether Orbi is the right WiFi product depends on how much of a "footprint" you want to create and what expectations you have about performance.

Message 2 of 6
Chuck_M
Mentor

I am thinking that you could use a Windows 10 PC as a hub of sorts and share the internet connection although I have never tried it.

PC connects wirelessly to access point

Orbi connects to PC via LAN with PC as gateway

I am not sure it would work, but would be a fun experiment to try.

Message 3 of 6
Ramroka
Aspirant

Thanx for your response and suggestion. I am ordering the Netgear Cellular modem and will try your suggestion.

Message 4 of 6
Ramroka
Aspirant

Thanx for your response and suggestion. I have tried your suggestion, but could not get it to work.

i get the message the router is not connected to the internet, as i guess, i do not have an active ethernet connection to the router.

Message 5 of 6
Chuck_M
Mentor

Did you connect to the network via the wireless and then connect the Orbi and then "Share" the internet connection on the windows machine?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7