Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53 Orbi satellites...no devices show connected

Egreak525
Aspirant

RBK53 Orbi satellites...no devices show connected

I have the CBR40 modem/router combo set up in the family room where the outside cable comes into the house which is on one end of the house.  I have one satellite that I had set up approximately 25-30ft away in another room that is primarily central to the house.  It had no problem connecting to the router but the devices connecting to it showed a weak signal on the app compared to those connecting to the router wirelessly.  One of the devices was just outside of the room, probably 10-15ft away, and the others were directly below the satellite in the basement.  I've done a speed test while my phone has been connected to the internet and the speeds seem to be good, 65-95mbps, with 100mbps paid speed.  I tried moving the satellite further away to reduce overlap but no difference at all.  Any suggestions?  I wish there was a way to visually map the wifi

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
tucsontico
Virtuoso

I assume this is a new ORBI setup or have you had the ORBI for some time? First, if it is a new setup, be certain that the firmware for the satellite and the router match. Second, be certain that the firmware is up to date. Third, allow the ORBI to "settle" for a good, long while–at least a few hours–after any changes. I've noticed that the satellites tend to take a very long time to display correct information in the GUI after any modifications or even a power cycle. Finally, if your devices are getting good WiFi speeds throughout your house, the ORBI is doing its job! Be patient, the GUI will "catch up" eventually.

Message 2 of 7
Egreak525
Aspirant

Thanks for your message. I got the system in December and the wifi from the modem/router combo is great! Anywhere from higher than the 100mbps I pay for and close to 60 in other rooms. There are only 2 devices currently connecting to the satellite, a wifi plug right by it and a treadmill almost directly below it in the basement. Even when my phone switches it's showing in the app a weak signal but when I test it it seems fine. The treadmill seems to be slow in loading items however. I'll check firmware but don't they update simultaneously?
Message 3 of 7
tucsontico
Virtuoso

In theory, the firmware should update equally on both the satellite and router. However, it doesn't always work like that. I suggest checking the firmware versions on both the router and satellite. If they are not the same, then manually update both pieces. ALWAYS update the satellite first, then the router. Once they are both operating the same firmware versions, I recommend rebooting both and allowing everything to stabilize for at least an hour before running any speedtests, etc.

Another thing to try is reserving IP addresses for all your devices. The reservation matrix is under the "Advanced" tab>"Setup">"LAN Setup" Then scroll to the bottom and click "ADD". A list of attached devices will appear along with their current IP addresses. Simply click on each to create an IP address reservation for all your devices. Good Luck!

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
Does a browser and web page for the CBR show devices connected? 

Orbi What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  30 feet is recommended in between CBR40 and satellite to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO.

Please post about this here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

@Egreak525 wrote:

I have the CBR40 modem/router combo set up in the family room where the outside cable comes into the house which is on one end of the house.  I have one satellite that I had set up approximately 25-30ft away in another room that is primarily central to the house.  It had no problem connecting to the router but the devices connecting to it showed a weak signal on the app compared to those connecting to the router wirelessly.  One of the devices was just outside of the room, probably 10-15ft away, and the others were directly below the satellite in the basement.  I've done a speed test while my phone has been connected to the internet and the speeds seem to be good, 65-95mbps, with 100mbps paid speed.  I tried moving the satellite further away to reduce overlap but no difference at all.  Any suggestions?  I wish there was a way to visually map the wifi

Message 5 of 7
Egreak525
Aspirant

Thanks!

I just recently updated the satellite FW after this post to the newest hoping it would help.

My house is 3200sqft. Two story with a partially finished basement. I have the router in the family room near the side of one house and the satellite is in an office which does require it to get a signal through 2 walls which I wouldn't see being a problem given the purpose of a satellite.

I already had beaming enabled but enabled MIMO and seems that most devices are connecting to router even though closer to satellite. I tried fast roaming but some devices were switching back and forth which caused a bad connection when connecting to satellite so I turned off.

A dedicated channel for the router seems to give a better signal to devices but didn't help from satellite.

My next move will be to move the satellite to new location with less interference from walls or moving to basement to get a wired connection. Will post updates.
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the base router and satellite? 

if you temporarily turn OFF the base router, do your devices connect to the satellite? Then turn back on the base router.

@Egreak525 wrote:
Thanks!

I just recently updated the satellite FW after this post to the newest hoping it would help.

My house is 3200sqft. Two story with a partially finished basement. I have the router in the family room near the side of one house and the satellite is in an office which does require it to get a signal through 2 walls which I wouldn't see being a problem given the purpose of a satellite.

I already had beaming enabled but enabled MIMO and seems that most devices are connecting to router even though closer to satellite. I tried fast roaming but some devices were switching back and forth which caused a bad connection when connecting to satellite so I turned off.

A dedicated channel for the router seems to give a better signal to devices but didn't help from satellite.

My next move will be to move the satellite to new location with less interference from walls or moving to basement to get a wired connection. Will post updates.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7