Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53 Reconnect Issue with Spectrum new modem

TomK1951
Aspirant

RBK53 Reconnect Issue with Spectrum new modem

I have used my Orbi RBK53 system (Firmware v2.3.5.30) with my Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 CM600 on Spectrum with no real issue for years.  If I lost internet, the modem and Orbi router would reconnect just fine after internet was restored.  In June '21, Spectrum informed me I "must" upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1 or I would lose my internet access.  They provided a no-name "Spectrum" modem at no cost.  The modem is overly sensative to power and connection issues but aside from that, works reasonably well.  However, when internet connectivity goes down, the modem will reconnect once internet is restored but the Orbi will not.  I MUST reboot the Orbi to re-establish my wifi network.

If I upgrade to a Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 modem (CM1000 or Nighthawk), will my restoration issue be fixed (Reconnections were not an issue with the  CM600)?  I have seen discussions of reconnect issues with a Nighthawk on these boards.

Or, is there a way to make the Orbi system reboot automatically when a loss of internet connection is encountered?  That may be a quick solution while I research purchasing another Netgear modem.

Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@TomK1951 wrote:

They provided a no-name "Spectrum" modem at no cost.

Or, is there a way to make the Orbi system reboot automatically when a loss of internet connection is encountered?  That may be a quick solution while I research purchasing another Netgear modem.

There is no product label on the Spectrum model? (bottom? back?)

Alas, no. There is no setting on the Orbi to reboot when certain things happen or on a schedule.

How often does this happen? (once a month I would suffer through.  Daily and I'd be calling Spectrum, "Your modem is defective. Come out and replace it.".

The CM1000 sells for $150 on Amazon.  Amazon has a generous return policy (30  days).  $110 at Costco for the CM1100 with an even more generous return policy.  How long would it have to be installed to know if the problem is gone?

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

@TomK1951 wrote:

I have used my Orbi RBK53 system (Firmware v2.3.5.30) with my Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 CM600 on Spectrum with no real issue for years.  If I lost internet, the modem and Orbi router would reconnect just fine after internet was restored.  In June '21, Spectrum informed me I "must" upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1 or I would lose my internet access.  They provided a no-name "Spectrum" modem at no cost.  The modem is overly sensative to power and connection issues but aside from that, works reasonably well.  However, when internet connectivity goes down, the modem will reconnect once internet is restored but the Orbi will not.  I MUST reboot the Orbi to re-establish my wifi network.

If I upgrade to a Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 modem (CM1000 or Nighthawk), will my restoration issue be fixed (Reconnections were not an issue with the  CM600)?  I have seen discussions of reconnect issues with a Nighthawk on these boards.

Message 3 of 10
TomK1951
Aspirant

Nothing definitive o the modem.  It's some off brand and an internet search shows just a couple entries.  No access to the IP address menu for changing any modem settings.

As far as time to see if issue is fixed with a CM1000 or CM1100,, I can simply disconnect the modem (fake a loss of internet), reconnect and see if the Orbi picks it back up.  I'm not thrilled about going out and spending another $100+ on a moadem (I bought the previous Netgear only a few years ago and now iti's shelf bound).  But, if it keeps me from having to reboot everytime internet is lost (faiirly often of late), it's probably worth it.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box

"service box" may be ambiguous.  Anyone who subscribes to cable TV and internet will have at least one splitter between the coax tap at the main cable line and their router.  When I was running MoCHA through my cable wiring, there was also a splitter for the MoCHA box. (Tivo's come with an internal MoCHA tap inside the chassis.)

Also, I had neglected to inquire about telephone service (which I get through my Spectrum provided modem).  Although compatible with Spectrum, the CM1000 and CM1100 are not compatible with voice service from Spectrum.

Message 5 of 10
Mikey94025
Hero

@TomK1951 wrote:

In my expreience normally the Orbi will automaticallu reaquire its IP address when the modem resets.  It's unfortunate that for some reason this is not hte case for your current Spectrum modem.  I think there is a good chance that if you get another modem, your Orbi will automatically reacquire its IP address after a reboot.  Why don't you purchase one from a local retailer with a good return policy and try it out?

This is probably not an economical solution for you, but useful info for community members.  This product is pricey but can be programmed (via website) to power cycle outlets when a network command fails (e.g., ping): https://www.digital-loggers.com/pro.html.  I have an older version of it that I used to reset my Comcast modem + Orbi router remotely and when the internet goes down. This product predates today's "wifi power strips" which can offer remote control at a substantially lower price point, so has a much narrower appeal.

Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@TomK1951 wrote:

Nothing definitive o the modem. 

Is there  anything on the product label?  Mine says E31T2V1, along with a sticker having the serial number and ethernet MAC address.

Message 7 of 10
TomK1951
Aspirant

Yes, it's an EU2251 and I have MAC address and S/N but like I said, there's nothing decent when you Google it.  Lots of similar looking modems with different P/Ns but little if any useful info.

Message 8 of 10
TomK1951
Aspirant

RIght now I'm thinking Costco but I have to decide if the cost is worth the reboot hassle.

Message 9 of 10
TomK1951
Aspirant

I had the house wired with good RG6 when built.  There is a splitter used but it's basically a coupling, one in/one out directly to the modem.  ISP has theoretically checked the signal and tells me all is OK.  Power was out for 9 hours, restored, modem booted and router didn't automatically reconnect.  I think it's the generic modem and nothing else.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7